+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, ASDAN On-line eAssessment in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi there Just after some info. Has any one used this online testing software is it any good etc Would ...
    Thank Post

ASDAN On-line eAssessment

Hi there

Just after some info. Has any one used this online testing software is it any good etc

Would love to know your views.

ASDAN - Home Page

Thank Post
    Hi Lee

I'm the Head of IT at ASDAN so hopefully should be able to answer your questions.

We offer online tests Key and Basic Skills (aka ALAN) at levels 1 and 2.
    Once candidates have been registered with ASDAN (via the website) you are free to schedule tests with as little as 5 minutes notice or up to 12 months ahead.

To schedule a test you simply log into the ASDAN Online Assessment System website, choose a date, time and which candidates you would like to sit the tests. The system would then issue you with usernames and passwords for your students. At the time of the test, the student would log on to the secure software provided by ASDAN with their username and password, sit the test and at the end the test it would be automatically marked and they would receive instant notification of their results. Results are automatically sent to ASDAN and certificates issued accordingly.
    If any were unsuccessful you could log into the website and view a list of which areas each student got incorrect. You could then do arrange further tutoring with the students on those areas before allowing them to do the resit. Resits are not charged for when using the online system.

If you've got any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply..

I have only been asking as we have been having great problems using Edexcels online testing software and we are thinking about taking on ASDAN to replace it.

Does ASDAN require any install on our servers ?
    Last edited by leeshellard; 30th September 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi again

The tests are the same as the ones you would be used to with Edexcel as they're provided by QCA. The software we use is very simple to install and takes a few seconds per machine. The tests themselves are administered via a web browser interface therefore can be done anywhere anytime.

We don't require anything installing on your servers. Everything is web based and goes directly through our web server so you don't need anything else apart from a small (700k) piece of software installing on the client machines which are going to be used for the tests.

Thank Post
    I've just been handed this to install. Does anyone know if it packages up for an RM CC3 network ok?

Thank Post
    We are using ASDAN for more then a year now.... I tried creating a package last year but didn't work we have to put centre number during installation... didnt try after that it takes few seonds to install and we only need it in one ICT suite...

Couple of times students recieved error when they were almost done with exam... ASDAN told us there is a problem on our internet side checked everything our firewalls etc but nothing obvious...

MWR

Thank Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rehanahmeds View Post
    We are using ASDAN for more then a year now.... I tried creating a package last year but didn't work we have to put centre number during installation... didnt try after that it takes few seonds to install and we only need it in one ICT suite...

Couple of times students recieved error when they were almost done with exam... ASDAN told us there is a problem on our internet side checked everything our firewalls etc but nothing obvious...
    The school I am at uses the local installation. This means that the internet connection is only used for registering exam requests and (later) uploading the exam sessions/results. During the examination, the only connectivity to be maintained with a guaranteed performance is to the local server. If a client PC crashes, we can start another PC and continue from he last point reached in the exam by the student.

I too have heard of ASDAN users experiencing "failure" at the end of an exam session which requires the whole test to be set up and run again. This has a considerable impact on re-scheduling the exams and invigilators not to mention the disheartening impact on the students.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it an issue that ASDAN have addressed already ?

Thankyou for any further feedback

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MWR View Post
    The school I am at uses the local installation. This means that the internet connection is only used for registering exam requests and (later) uploading the exam sessions/results. During the examination, the only connectivity to be maintained with a guaranteed performance is to the local server. If a client PC crashes, we can start another PC and continue from he last point reached in the exam by the student.

I too have heard of ASDAN users experiencing "failure" at the end of an exam session which requires the whole test to be set up and run again. This has a considerable impact on re-scheduling the exams and invigilators not to mention the disheartening impact on the students.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it an issue that ASDAN have addressed already ?

Thankyou for any further feedback
    Hi there

I'm not sure what you mean when you're referring to a local installation. We don't currently offer any offline version of the software, could it be possible that you're mixing us up with another awarding organisation?

MWR

Thank Post
    Thanks for that posting Steve.
    To clarify:
    No, I'm not confusing ASDAN with the local non-ASDAN installation for Alan tests that we are using - which is working well.
    I apologise if my wording resulted in any forum readers thinking that ASDAN offered a product that avoids mid-exam internet connectivity issues by working offline.

Thank Post
    We've been using the asdanonline with very few if any problems on CC4 here.

Much more reliable than the previous software we used - can't remember the name now!

Just encountered an error though since we last used it which seems to be linked to the trusted certificate - will be speaking with their support tomorrow so will let you know how things go and if sorted.

J

Thank Post
    We have been using ASDAN for 2 years now, if you would have asked me the same question a year ago i would have said to stay well clear, the only aloud the software to run is 800x600 and the software didn't resize the screen after the test was over. Also there was no way to recover a test if the internet had dropped out or some other computer related problem occurred.

However recently they have made some wide spread changes, the software will run in 1024X768 (not tested it higher) and the software will allow you to have internet problems without causing the test to crash. Along with this they have used the same style of system as ALAN (promissor) where you can move students should you encounter problems.

I have had to deal with ASDAN support on 4 occasions, in all cases a less then satisfactory response was given and no resolution was ever reached.

Overall ASDAN are moving in the right direction but need to focus on the support they provide

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymate View Post
    We've been using the asdanonline with very few if any problems on CC4 here.

Much more reliable than the previous software we used - can't remember the name now!

Just encountered an error though since we last used it which seems to be linked to the trusted certificate - will be speaking with their support tomorrow so will let you know how things go and if sorted.

J
    Hi Jay

We've been doing some investigation and found that in some unusual cases, some centres which use networks like RM CC3 do not always have GeoTrust, the SSL certificate authority installed by default. As ASDANonline uses GeoTrust Global this will prevent the eAssessment software from connecting. In order to check this, open Internet Explorer and go to Tools, Options, Content tab, Certificates button, Trusted Root Certificates tab. You should see GeoTrust Global CA listed as shown below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you do not have GeoTrust installed, you can download it from http://www.geotrust.com/resources/ro..._Global_CA.cer
    You can install this on each individual PC however you may want to add the certificate to your Group Policy so that it is available to all computers your network. Please see the following technet article for instructions Add a trusted root certification authority to a Group Policy object: Security Configuration Editor

Also, depending on how restrictive your IE settings are, you may need to add https://www.asdanonline.org.uk to your list of trusted sites in Internet Explorer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notalot View Post
    We have been using ASDAN for 2 years now, if you would have asked me the same question a year ago i would have said to stay well clear, the only aloud the software to run is 800x600 and the software didn't resize the screen after the test was over.
    Hi notalot

I just wanted to clarify that the software does infact resize the screen back to normal after the test has finished. In order to do this you simply need to press CTRL, SHIFT and X as per the final page of the instruction manual

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread