+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, Any one else had or done this yet? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Release Note: APS (10.1.3) DPS (10.1.2) The APS and DPS software updates fix a number of issues in the 10.0.13 ...
    Thank Post

Any one else had or done this yet?

Release Note: APS (10.1.3) DPS (10.1.2)

The APS and DPS software updates fix a number of issues in the 10.0.13 Infrastructure software including issues that could result in the loss of pupil test data if the updates are not applied.

To prevent possible data loss, the APS and DPS updates should be applied before running any further test sessions.

Obtaining the software updates

Your school’s APS server will automatically download the APS and DPS software updates.

When it has been downloaded, the APS 10.1.3 software update will be in the folder:
    [APS Folder]\FILE_STORE\Software\AS
    Where [APS Folder] indicates the folder into which your APS was installed. The APS 10.1.3 software update will be downloaded as an executable file with the filename APS_10.1.3.exe.

When it has been downloaded, the DPS 10.1.2 software update will be in the folder:
    [APS Folder]\FILE_STORE\Software\TDS
    It will be downloaded as a Zip format archive file with the filename DPS_10.1.2.zip.

The APS software will attempt to download the software updates at a fixed scheduled interval. If either software update is not present on your APS as expected, then you can force the APS to download the software updates immediately by clicking the “Run Now” link on the Manage Internet Access page. The Manage Internet Access page is accessible via the School menu on the APS.

Installing the APS 10.1.3 software update

The APS 10.1.3 software update must be applied to an existing APS installation. Do not uninstall your APS prior to applying the update.

To install the APS 10.1.3 software update:
    • Log on to your server as a Windows user with administrative privileges.
    • In Windows Explorer, browse to [APS Folder]\FILE_STORE\Software\AS
    • Double-click on APS_10.1.3.exe to apply the update.
    • The update will take several minutes to apply, during which time an update window will be visible on-screen.
    • When the update has completed, the following message will be displayed in the update window:
    o “Update process completed. Press any key to continue . . .”

Installing the DPS 10.1.2 software update

For manual installation, there is no need to uninstall any existing installations of the DPS software before installing the 10.1.2 software update.

The contents of the DPS_10.1.2.zip file are intended to replace the contents of the DPS\Windows folder on your QCA KS3 ICT Test – 2006 Pilot CD-ROM.

The DPS 10.1.2 software update can be installed by following the instructions in Chapter 5 of the Installation & Technical Guide and using the files from the zip file wherever the instructions refer to the contents of the CD-ROM.

By default, the DPS will require configuration after the 10.1.2 software update has been installed. This can be avoided by replacing the DPSConfig.ini file from the zip file with the version that was created during your APS installation. More information on using DPSConfig.ini can be found in the Installation & Technical Guide.

For automatic deployment, the existing DPS package should be uninstalled from stations prior to installing the update. More guidance can be found in the Installation & Technical Guide and on the Support section of the KS3 ICT Pilot website (www.ks3ictpilot.com)

Thank Post

Re: Any one else had or done this yet?

yes, did it thursday night friday morning. ran the APS patch and it took about a minute (reading the instructions took longer). then did the DPS on each individual machine in one room (30) early morning. after the first install/update just checked that all was working as it should. it was, so carried on with the rest. replacing the DPSconfig.ini in the zip file actually seemed to work. this week will try to set up tests for a group from Y9N.
    beeswax

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

The previous DPS took ages to remove before I could stick the new version on ... I'll have to see how things go on Tuesday.

Thank Post

Well i have not deployed any version of the DPS yet, so can i just deploy the updated DPS msi through GPO? What do i need to do with the ini file?

I dont normally do this, our MIS guy is in charge of the KS3 tests but he has gone of sick with stress.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

no comment

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

when you create the 3 folders in the share you just stick the files from the updated DPS software into the DPS one ... and copy the .ini file back in from the location it was created during the initial install of the APS (it should be noted down in the paperwork ... can't remember the rought location)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    The previous DPS took ages to remove before I could stick the new version on ... I'll have to see how things go on Tuesday.
    it may be sunday night, and the whacking hangover from last night's party, but doesn't installing DPS uninstall previous versions automatically? as far as I can recall this didn't take long at all, perhaps 5 mins to uninstall and re-install.
    beeswax

Thank Post

Yes, by installing the new DPS supplied in the updates, the previous version is automatically removed. Well, it was here, anyway...!!

Thank Post

To be on the safe side, I removed the old DPS msi from the GPO, then added the new one. The clients then removed the old one before installing the new one as is the standard way with GP installations.

@indiegirl - I didn't try just adding the new msi, but that would also work if the new one is registered as an upgrade to the old, which it must be if it worked for you!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

RM CC3 network here... followed the instructions, which are basically:

1. De-allocate existing version from workstations and reboot.
    2. Extract DPSInstaller.msi, DPSSetup.exe and Setup.ini to D:\RMNetwork\RMManage\Packages\Applications\QCA Testing Delivery Point System\v 10.0.12\, overwriting the existing ones.
    3. Rename folder v 10.0.12 to the new version of the DPS.
    4. In the folder, open QCA Testing Delivery Point System.ini and change the Version= value to the new DPS version/
    5. In RM MC: Update Package List on Main Site, allocate, and reboot workstations.

And all seemed to work.

Thank Post

Just done it this morning. Took me a while to realise it didn't work over remote desktop lol... When i did get the APS installed it worked fine. The plasc data from 2006 does import now without any problems which is good.

I setup the DPS msi to upgrade the original one and copied the ini file to the package location like it says and that works ok too. All very easy and i was expecting a nightmare so i was pleasantly surprised ...

Thank Post

Does anyone know why it doesn't work over Remote Desktop? I didn't try it as the instructions said not to. What happens if you do?

I'm just curious.

Thank Post

It can't find the Webapps directory over remote desktop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information