Ok everyone, Well, I am nearly at the end of my tasks of this, Heres a little walk of the problems i had...
Problem 1) Wasn't setup as the main contact (Not their fault in honesty)
Problem 2) Wrong CD Set, Had to be resent
Problem 3) Installed it on the server, Didn't add the right NTFS permissions
Problem 4) APS Wouldn't load in IE....Would help if i saw that bit about trusted sites at the back
Problem 5) PLASC file needed to be converted 3 times before actually getting the year 9 pupils, This took an hour
Problem 6) Needed to create path rules to run the plasc utils, And the updated version RM sent via email
Problem 7) We're at deployment now, Wasn't to bad but for some reason wasn't picking up the DPSconfig file, even though it was in my rm package (Yes we are CC3 *sigh*) so had to copy to a few hdd's manually
Installed the tests and 2 rooms were done....Now for the teacher training :twisted:
I did the level 5 just for kicks and my first thought was OMG kids are going to be so confused by this UI, It took me a few minutes to work out that the F8 n F9 buttons did things. This is going to confuse kids aswell as teachers, Makes me wonder if im going to see kids helping teachers with this UI rahter than teachers helping kids.
Hate the UI, I know it has to be universal and can't be an exact mock of MS but at least some menu resemblance would have been nice.
Just think...Im RM get the go on this, Its going worldwide....There evil plan has only just begun
for some reason postmaster put his feet up and stopped working this afternoon. once re started could log on to aps again, but this is going to be a real problem if it keeps cropping up, though it doesn't take a moment to get the service running again. has anyone else experienced this intermittent problem on their server?
rather like the actors who take 1 percent of a film's gross rather than a flat fee, I think I'll ask RM for some sort of donation to keep edugeek up and running. ethics? that's east of london.
when you say auditor, do you mean the audit log? There are quite a few of these messages -
THRESHOLD_LIMIT_EXCEEDED [Scheduler][Threshold limit of failure of task scheduler exceeded for task 7.]
but they aren't solely for yesterday. I've done a random check back over the 10 days or so that this software has been installed and they crop up all the time.
I'm going to call RM as soon as I click submit
I'm on the phone to them now. they say that auditor is part of cc3(?) RM managed, and not for self managed networks. there is an app on the cd called State Audit, which has to be copied to the QCA folder on the server and then run. This will produce an audit of the software's operations since installation. copy and email to them with ref number.
"postmaster service is known to be unstable...and unpredictably shut down."
I have had to restart postmaster and tomcat at least once, and we are not RM. I looked on the APS audit log and we are seeing the same THRESHOLD_LIMIT_EXCEEDED events logged too.
thanks for that broc, I was getting a little paranoid there.
I'm sure you've been checking the previous posts to see where everyone's up to <holds hand flat above head>up to here</holds hand flat above head>. very useful when rm have gone up the wooden hill.
If you decide to use the msi to deploy the DPS client software via group policy, watch out for issues with .NET!
Watch out for RMs instructions which ( from memory ) tell you to right click the .NETinstall file & choose open then change destination address. In my case choosing open attempted to install .NET it on the local sever in it's default location, instead I had to right click and choose extract to. Not a major issue but easy enough to miss with 3 students demanding printer paper and floppy disks while doing it.
Another gotcha I had was installing the APS to a partition with quotas enabled, setting users tomcat and postgres to unlimited did not solve the install problem, after several attempt I noticed that in the quotas list there became several instances of the postgres users ( not sure how this can even happen but it did ) It seemed to create a new instance everytime it tried to install. I eventually hit upon a simple solution.
For the purpose of installing, on the drive with quotas I took the default quota up to 10GB then once installed returned it to a more sane value.