+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, Dot Net Issues in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; If you decide to use the msi to deploy the DPS client software via group policy, watch out for issues ...

Thank Post

Re: KS3 ICT Pilot

If you decide to use the msi to deploy the DPS client software via group policy, watch out for issues with .NET! The distributed version of DPSInstaller.msi that came on our CDROM could not cope with a PC that had both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2. It hung the PCs & it took me 1.5 days to pin it down, only to be told by RM that there were aware of the problem. If you hit this situation you will need to obtain a revised version of the DPSInstaller.msi from RM.

It is however a shame to inflict this software on KS3 students in its current form. I doubt many will achieve their true level of attainment using this without some serious coaching as the desktop interface they are provided with is very limiting and sluggish to say the least, even on a P4 2.8ghz with 1gb ram.

Thank Post

If you decide to use the msi to deploy the DPS client software via group policy, watch out for issues with .NET! The distributed version of DPSInstaller.msi that came on our CDROM could not cope with a PC that had both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2. It hung the PCs & it took me 1.5 days to pin it down, only to be told by RM that there were aware of the problem. If you hit this situation you will need to obtain a revised version of the DPSInstaller.msi from RM.

It is however a shame to inflict this software on KS3 students in its current form. I doubt many will achieve their true level of attainment using this without some serious coaching as the desktop interface they are provided with is very limiting and sluggish to say the least, even on a P4 2.8ghz with 1gb ram.

Thank Post

yup. had the .net problem, called RM who emailed an update. still not happy with it. for example, configuring a dps workstation doesn't give me the 4 tabbed window shown in the technical guide(page 56). I only see the configuration tab. If I had more than 5 minutes without interruption today I'd probably be a lot farther on. but thanks once again for your help.
    by the way, we're trailling it on an AMD athlon 1.9Ghz with 480 Mb of ram. is it worth it, I wonder?
    beeswax

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts

Re: Dot Net Issues

Ran the first test yesterday had three IT suites approx 90 workstations running and only 2 workstations crashed but got them up and running again in a matter of minutes by closing down restarttds process and the user was able to log back in to the exam and pick up where they left off with no loss of time. I agree the software is a pile of doodoo and very network intensive in terms of bandwidth but if this is what wev'e got then we better get on with making it better by sharing our knowledge and helping others. 60 of these workstations run 1.8Ghz processors with 256Mb ram 30 had 7200rpm ide harddrives and 30 had 5400rpm Harddrives, will be updating soon but job went well no big complaints as such.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

god test window closes in 3 days and only just doing first test

russ

Thank Post

Good luck Russ you'll need it OK

A man is judged by what he does in life, not what he is.........

Thank Post

hey beeswax by the way don't mean to teach me granny to suck eggs but if you read the manual when you've got time it will tell you to press the key's Ctrl Alt and T to get the four tabs up ok

sorry if this is not what your'e looking for but thought it might help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I meant you...

You said only just ran the first test and you only got 3 days left....

thats cutting it fine for my liking

Russ

Thank Post

my head of IT, after saying that she didn't want to do the summative test has now asked me to schedule it for last 2 periods tomorrow. I'd already arranged to leave early that day. fingers crossed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread