+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, school information is corrupted in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; installed it on one of our servers last Friday and logged on to the site a few times to see ...

Thank Post

Re: KS3 ICT Pilot

installed it on one of our servers last Friday and logged on to the site a few times to see if we'd been approved - it can take a day apparently - nothing doing. come in this morning, try to log on and get the message that our school information is corrupted. about to phone RM, anyone else at this stage?
    beeswax

Thank Post

Try this, it worked for me when I had same/similar problem, this is the response I got from RM:
    During your software registration, should you encounter the following error message
    after you logon to the APS "Error: Your School Registration Information is
    corrupted." please follow the below steps to overcome the issue.

1. Logon to the APS server using an Administrative user account.
    2. Open Microsoft® Windows® Explorer via My Computer.
    3. Select the drive where the APS software is installed.
    4. Right-click on the drive letter and select Properties.
    5. Select the Security tab and click on Add.
    6. Type tomcat, or select Advanced (to browse) and select the user, then click OK.
    7. Click on the tomcat user to highlight then select the following options from the
    available Permissions:
    · Read & Execute
    1 List Folder Contents
    2 Read
    3 Write
    6. Click OK to apply these permissions to the root of the drive. Important: Do not
    propagate these permissions to sub-folders.
    7. Logon to the APS website and follow through the registration wizard again to
    complete registration.

Brian

Thank Post

hit the nail squarely on the head there broc. worked a treat, and what a response time!
    beeswax

Thank Post

Have you tried this?

After double-clicking on DPS on workstation icon, try CTRL-ALT-T, this will allow you to logon as tech manager and then you will see the extra tabs.....
    this is documented on page 101 of Installation and Technical guide.

It took me a while to find this.....RTFM.....the last resort!

Brian

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    this is documented on page 101 of Installation and Technical guide.
    more like room 101.

beeswax

Thank Post

Sorry, didn't intend sounding smug... it took me a while to figure it out & I felt silly not having read the manual properly!

Maybe this was all developed in Area 51? At my school we have a classroom (Room 51) where all sorts of mysterious things happen to IT equipment. Keys on keyboards rearrange themselves, mice become neutered, displays take on strange colour schemes and shapes....... Not sure if it is the students, the teacher, or some alien being?

As far as QCA ICT KS3 is concerned:

I am only glad I just had to install it; I certainly would not like to sit the test, I have had more fun watching paint dry. I reckon the brighter kids will switch off when they see how slow it runs; the less able will not even get switched on as it will confuse them! Schools have a choice; devote large amounts of curriculum time to allow the kids to get used to the interface (and neglect teaching) to get better KS3 scores, or ignore the tests and concentrate upon teaching them about ICT!

Fortunately not my call.

Thank Post

no, no, I wasn't accusing you of sounding smug. I just felt the whole lot should be consigned to Room 101, like baRMy and Crapita.

"As far as QCA ICT KS3 is concerned:
    I am only glad I just had to install it;"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's all I'll have to do, but having skimmed through the documentation, page 101 notwithstanding, I can see a battle looming as to what I'm supposed to do, and what I'll be required to do. I haven't seen the tests in action yet, but our head of IT thinks they're fab.
    Today's crop of problems hasn't helped:
    A teacher who couldn't remember where she saved her work,
    A scanner which didn't work until I plugged it in,
    A teacher who couldn't locate her 'Home' folder (she was logging on locally and denied this over the phone)
    Pupils printing instsructions on how to cultivate cannabis, and having to trace them, (ah, kids)
    no doubt you've checked out FFS.
    beeswax

richard

Well I have managed to get it installed after getting a new cdrom as the orginal was corrupt

Got it running on the server only to find that it changed the pemissions on an unrelated folder that so that no one than me and my tech could print This wasted another whole day :twisted: :twisted:

Got the schools information is corrupt messsage and wasted another 2 hours getting the answer as I could not get onto the website and the telephone support system kept cutting me off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Managed to get the .net msi and the dps client installed without a hitch (the first time that I have used group policies to deploy software) Only to find that I need to change the permissions on the C drive to get the soddin thing to work correctly. Why you need to save the test results to the local hard disk is a complete bloody mystery to me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

All in all this is one of the biggest piles of donkey crap ever created and if I ever met the person whose idea this was I will quite happily smash their face in. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: And my bursar wonders why I seem stressed :?:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Why you need to save the test results to the local hard disk is a complete bloody mystery to me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    you will be glad of that feature once you start using it.....

the reason is there is to safe guard against network/server failure as if it saved to server a would clog network even more than does already and then if server fails the whole thing would keel over....

some things are there for a reason....

russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

problem is bit like bsf this become national we might as well sort issues out now as test is not going away in fact ks4 test will start to do pilot online test in few years time..

russ

Thank Post

so...with a song in my heart lol
    beeswax

Thank Post

Mentioning BSF, one of the comments made by Partnerships for Crime(sorry Schools) was the idea that school servers would be based in a 'server farm' and schools would no longer have them onsite. When I worked in industry there were two key rules we applied; one was to try and only have one copy of data that needed to be shared, and the second was keep the data as close as possible to the end user.
    In the Banking and Insurance sector this meant enterprise servers at the centre, and branch servers supporting their end user network.
    If we treat SIMS data as 'corporate' and student work (docs, spreadsheets etc) as 'end user' I can just about see that centralising MIS data might have some advantage, but keeping the student work on a server in a server farm remote from my school makes no sense to me at all, and just drives up the network bandwidth requirement. What about a caching proxy server? Again, I can see no sense in having that several km down a fibre when 30+ kids all hit google with the same search when their teacher sets them a task.

They would have to do some serious work improving network availability here too, last year our broadband link went down when a generator at a remote 'comms' mast ran out of fuel.....

Thank Post

RM think of everything. in order that we techies shouldn't develop a migraine when installing this software, they give you breathing space, such as 24 hours to verify your details, and 48 hours to download the tests to you. no, I'm smiling.
    beardswax

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's the point where you have a problem 24 hours after you start the install ... do the fix ... and wait another 24 hours to see if it worked.

Just deploying the workstation software now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread