+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, KS3 ICT Pilot in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; OK Current problems on this: failed to install due to disk quotas being enforced, no warnings just an error box ...

Thank Post

Re: KS3 ICT Pilot

OK Current problems on this:

failed to install due to disk quotas being enforced, no warnings just an error box with an ok button (yes i know it saya this in the manual but i had followed the instructions in the back to stop this)

get the school registration corrupt message and had to change the permissions on the root of c

the tests didnt seem to want to install via GP, god knows why, gave up in the end and did it manually

it failed to recognise the plasc file (2006) ended up doing it via csv

quite what will happen next wednesday when the kids want to start using it for the familiarisation materials.

Dean

Thank Post

OK Current problems on this:

failed to install due to disk quotas being enforced, no warnings just an error box with an ok button (yes i know it saya this in the manual but i had followed the instructions in the back to stop this)

get the school registration corrupt message and had to change the permissions on the root of c

the tests didnt seem to want to install via GP, god knows why, gave up in the end and did it manually

it failed to recognise the plasc file (2006) ended up doing it via csv

quite what will happen next wednesday when the kids want to start using it for the familiarisation materials.

Dean

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK ... had a good chat and prolonged online messages with the KS3 support team.

I now have the xml schema for the import file and have generated the correct file. I might even build this into a SIMS.net report, save it and send it to them.

I have also asked for a complete list of the codes for each field and I will post them on here with the schema once I have permission (after all, we are not meant to be having this discussion since the Non-Disclosure Agreement is still around .... I wasn't here ... you have never seen me before!)

Thank Post

NDA? Funny enough one of the teachers here mentioned that they'd heard there was such a thing with this.

I've not been asked to sign one, in order to install the software, so can only imagine that it applies to the contents of the tests and not the install and configuration procedure(s), which, if there were, would after all be counter productive to RMs aim, to get the thing rolled out to as many as possibly as easily as possible.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Whoever is the Main Contact is responsible for this ... it may be a member of the Manglement Team ... it may be your exams officer ... it may be your Head of ICT.

Because there is at least one public discussion group on the tests (run by BECTa) I have formerly asked if it is ok to continue discussing things ... irregardless of NDAs etc ...

It will be damned hard for them to say no. This is mainly so I can repost some of the solutions I have been given, including xml schema and descriptions of codes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just had a response ... "post away"

There are more resources available on the teachernet.gov.uk, and you no longer have to be signed on to the KS3 test to access the support knowledge base on the RM site, only an account on the site (which is free and easy to create)

Also, if anyone looks at the BECTa forum for the KS3 tests, can then repost queries in here and feed back on them too ... and vice versa.

Hmmm ... M$ were being helpful the other day .... RM are being helpful now ... Apple have moved over to Intel ...

Damn ... I have been transported to a parallel dimension.

Perhaps the Geeks shall inherit the Earth after all?

Thank Post

Urrgh...

I've successfully (as far as I can see) installed the APS, registered it, and the DPS on a couple of workstations.

I've just read the "setting up and managing users" chapter. It did my head in.

The DPS workstations keep reporting "Upload in progress. Please try again later", then if I try again, various random things happen: either I get the same message again, on I get "connection failed", or it appears to work.

I've been fully registered since 3:00 yesterday, but no test have appeared yet - how long should they take?

I'm really having a wonderful time with this. :cry:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You have to install tests via MSIs to the workstations!

These should be in your KS3 QCA Test folder. Can't remember where do you download the test from?

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Give it a day to register ... a day to work out that you should have tests ... and then a day for the tests to be pushed out to you.

I did it the other way around ... once I had registerd and things where happy I concentrated on the getting the users on and the students on ... and then on deploying the DPS ... and by that time the tests are here and ready.

Thank Post

You're right. I'm setting up the users now. I'll do the pupils next.

I've looked in the TPS folder but there's no .msi's there yet.

Thank Post

@weslyew: "These should be in your KS3 QCA Test folder. Can't remember where do you download the test from?"

the tests are pushed out to you from the qca, manually, via wheelbarrow, and this can take 48 hours, as some bus drivers won't let passengers on with wheelbarrows unless they, the qca, pay the additional extra baggage fee. I believe high level negotiations are underway as I write between the qca and the pensioners association, in order to develop a cohort of fit and healthy pensioners willing to take on the task of delivering these tests via wheelbarrow on the nations buses. only those with free bus passes need apply.

beeswax

Thank Post

Chaps,

I have been scanning the posts to see if anyone has come across the sort of issues we are having with the QCA Testing software.

My collegue has got the thing running on a "virgin" PC. Now we have run it under WINSUITE (on an XP Pro SP2 PC) we have come across some problems. When you run the software from a PC we get a message saying that the system needs read write access to a number of Folders (e.g. BACKUPS, DATA, SAVED etc.)
    We have checked the permissions on the folders and users have modify permissions as instructed in the manual.

Anyone any ideas?????

Thanks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by u8dmtm
    I was suprised at how well the QCA Testing DPS software works, even on 1Ghz P3 with 384 RAM, and even (dare I admit we own these ) 1.1GHZ Celerons with 256 RAM.

Its actually quite amusing to watch the ICT teachers turn pale as they realise that kids are supposed to learn how to work out how to use stuff not just be battery publisher users - this software should sort that out with no hiding place.
    I've come to this thread late but after reading that comment I think I had better put that posting straight:

This won't sort out weak ICT teachers from the good ones because what's being tested in this abomination is skills based! The National Curriculum - you know, what teachers have to teach, and no arguing because it's "da lore" - is cognitive based - thinking skils based not actual doing skills based; so ALL ICT teachers are going to be in the dodo, even ex-teks like me.

Sorry if that's bent your preconception out of joint.

Thank Post

Right,

I've just tried to import the pupil data from an Integris PLASC xml file. I get this:-

Error: The file you have chosen to import is not the correct XML format. Click Browse to choose another file.

Exactly what format does it want? Getting this to work is like wading through treacle.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked
    Right,

I've just tried to import the pupil data from an Integris PLASC xml file. I get this:-

Error: The file you have chosen to import is not the correct XML format. Click Browse to choose another file.

Exactly what format does it want? Getting this to work is like wading through treacle.
    It doesn`t understand the PLASC2006 file. You need to download a conversion utility from RM to convert back to 2005 format.

It might then work!!!! :?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast