What formula do you use for student usernames. We have tried (exam numbers), (1st letter forename + 1st letter middle name + 1st 3 letters of surname) and recently (1st 3 letters of surname + 1st letter forename + 1st letter of middle name) 'if no middle name 1st 2 letters of first name'.
Our teachers say that they need to identify students by their username. We tried other methods but had loads of duplicates :-(
What do you do?
Also do you allow access to student homedrives for teachers? They want to mark work and save it back. They don't want to use the vle as we have Moodle and they want to do it without uploading and saving in their own area?
We do year of entry + initial + surname + if required number to remove duplicates.
Year of entry, surname first initial. Second initial to eliminate duplicates.
Read/Write access to student home folders is permitted here.
We also have a 'Homework Drop' Network Support create the folders and set the permissions. Students have write access to the folders [they can drag the work over to the folder and let go] Staff have change permissions to the contents of the folders but not the folders themselves. Last year we had staff creating their own folders in Homework Drop as a result students were able to abuse this facility.
Admission Number minus the leading zero. The only thing we found short enough that kids can remember and its unique enough to avoid duplicates.
Year they started plus 3 digits
year of entry, first initial, secondinitial (if exists), sirname.
If I started at yr 7 in 2011 I would be:
(because cyber nerd has no middle name, if it was Dave - I'd be 11CDNerd)
First initial + First 5 of last name + 4 digit student # (Not their permanent ID, their 4 digit student ID).
Used to use "stu-" and then their student number. Just changed to initial+surname+year they start year 7 (jbloggs11)
In my previous job as a roving support engineer in London one of the schools I supported used to recycle the usernames.
Students would be given and keep a username as they progress through school. When the year group for 'Joe Bloggs' got to Year 6 [it was a primary school] and he and his year group left the account was emptied and prepared for an incoming Year 1 pupil in September.
The user name was an alphanumeric string [randomly generated it seemed to me as there was no discernible pattern when looking at the usernames in year groups]
The High School does year of entry,surname,first two initials of firstname, so we do the same but with they year they leave. That way, they keep the same username when they move up. They can just about remember and spell it by then :)
Year of Entry + Surname + "." + Initial
Our student usernames for the past 2 years have been less revealing about their name.
Example: jo45sm7 is John Smith.
jo: first 2 letters of first name
4: number of letters in first name
5: number of letters in last name
sm: first 2 letters of last name
7: random single digit
Intake year + First four letters of surname + First letter of forename e.g. 11BLOGJ. For duplicates, an additional letter is taken from their first name e.g. 11BLOGJo.
In Excel, we use the following formula to remove spaces and apostrophes from their username...
Year of entry + 2 letters of first name + 3 Letters of surname. Duplicates end up with 4 from surname.
Joe Bloggs = 11JoBlo
In highschool we just had out student numbers as our user ids, for example mine was 009277 (which was used thoughout the school, printing, library, etc etc)
When the state wide system rolled in (originally for web access but now for the MOE), it was first initial, first four of the last name + # based on the last name
eg: if you were joe bloggs and were the eight bloggs added it would have been: jblog8
As for access to our home areas, staff only had read only to ours.