After playing around with Vista for a few days, you may want to remove it from your system, and reclaim the hard drive space. Microsoft has made this step very simple as well.
- Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
- Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
- Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
- Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
- Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
- Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C:), these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
- Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
- Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.