Setting up new batch of teacher laptops
Ok, so the school decided they want to go with laptops (against my decision but hey, it happens) so as such I am writing up what the staff get in terms of software and the like. Do you think there is anything I have missed off the list?
All staff laptops will be given to them with the following packages pre-installed and configured ready for use.
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3
- Set up ready for network use
- Home drive on network will sync with My Documents folder, to ensure work can be completed at home, and is automatically updated at school.
- Internet Explorer as default Explorer with default teacher proxy.
- Microsoft Office 2003
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Power point
- Microsoft Publisher
- Microsoft Outlook (Emails will be ready to use, which will include a complete staff address book, with the following groups)
- All Staff
- Senior Leadership Group
- Teaching Staff
- Admin / Office Staff
- Open Office 3.0.1
- Open Office Writer (Word Equivalent)
- Open Office Calc (Excel Equivalent)
- Open Office Impress (PowerPoint Equivalent)
- Smartboard 9.0 Software
- Includes the complete gallery
- McAfee Anti Virus (Schools Enterprise Edition)
- Media Player Classic
- Educational Links (covering Science, Maths, and English) from Free Educational Software And Games
- Ptable Periodic Table program which links to Wikipedia
- VisibleBody View the human body in 3D
- Mathway Program to help solve equations
- Math Playground Maths games for kids with concepts such as fractions, percentages, geometry, and money.
- Literactive Interactive books, worksheets and activities.
- My Story Maker Write your own illustrated fairy tales.
All laptops will be locked down for increased security.
Access to Drives A, B and C is no longer a viable option (as some members of staff have deleted vital files in the past and I have had to restore laptops to get them back). Drive D (DVD Drive) will be available for use for running programs direct from DVDs or to play DVDs with Media Player Classic.
External hard drives and USB sticks will only be able to use if you are transferring documents, and will be subject to virus scanning EVERY time it is in use.
No unauthorised software can or will be installed. Software can and will only be installed by the administrator, and as such, all software purchases should be passed through Me. If I approve it, then it will go to my line manager and bursar (both exceedingly well qualified in the IT department). This is because I have to test the software first, look up any licensing issues, and see if it is compatible with our network.
You think I missed anything? Bare in mind that they do not get access to SIMS. All help is appreciated.