+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
How do you do....it? Thread, List of bad software in Technical; does anyone install the dreaded testbase software, its a real pain, if you install it onto the network, you still ...
    Thank Post

Re: List of bad software

does anyone install the dreaded testbase software, its a real pain, if you install it onto the network, you still have to put keys in on each machine that uses it, msi deployments are flaky too, quicker just to install locally than try to network it. time it was updated to a new version i.e flash based.

another annoying piece of software we were given on trial but will not be buying is the new version of mathwizz, the old version was easy to put onto the network, but the new one needs registering on each machine that uses it, so keep away

and the other worst piece of software is something called VYSTAR, or VISTUR, or something like that, though i've heard after the new service pack it will be better, but like my old grandad said 'you can't polish a turd'

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by farmerste
    but like my old grandad said 'you can't polish a turd'

But you can do a reasonable job of spray painting it.

Thank Post

Target Tracker.... really is the pitts to install.

You need to uninstall the old version, even by MSI install, before you can install an UPGRADE, or it really screws up.

Telephone help line a waste of time ("we don't support our software if it's installed on a network blah, blah, blah")

Some of the things it is supposed to be able to do, don't work as expected so lots of time spent coming up with workarounds.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

QCA testing software - Used to freeze all the time, incredibly difficult server installation, basically just a flawed design. Glad they discontinued it.

Sims - What other have said, silly amount of updates required, crazy that it copies the PDF manuals each time, Various parts outdated(why did they not write a new program??), No thought about the future(SQL server debacle) ect ect.

Pro Desktop Basic error with registering the DLL on installation, random crashes.

And any other software with over zealous copy protection such as requiring activation by ringing people up!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by seanmh

You need to uninstall the old version, even by MSI install, before you can install an UPGRADE, or it really screws up.

Telephone help line a waste of time ("we don't support our software if it's installed on a network blah, blah, blah")

Some of the things it is supposed to be able to do, don't work as expected so lots of time spent coming up with workarounds.
    I now visably wince every time I hear someone whine about why its not working.

Thank Post

Granada Learning Soundstart Software.
    Never got it to work properly, if it wasn't Java Applet errors it was not being able to install it at all.
    Very frustrating software.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY

I now visably wince every time I hear someone whine about why its not working.
    Perhaps it shouldn't be so crap then!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Just did a quick count and this is just over the two primary schools I work for:

- Two completely separate websites both with quite a lot of content
    - 12 Admin machines
    - Three ICT Suites with 70+ machines in them altogether
    - 36 Computers in the classrooms
    - 31 Projectors
    - 31 Interactive whiteboards
    - 40+ laptops (possibly many more - not sure)
    - A whole bundle of possibly hundreds of pieces of software
    - 9 servers
    - About nine laser printers scattered around both schools and a whole load of inkjets which I'm trying to get rid of.

And a whole load more like digital cameras etc.
    Mine (I'm the only one here too)

1 Secondary:

410 PCs ranging from windows 95 to XP
    70 iMacs (OS 9.04 to OSX)
    44 Projectors
    36 Smartboards
    14 Network printers
    21 local printers
    8 digital cameras
    1 digital video camera
    4 Windows 2003 Servers running AD
    3 websites (two internal and one external)

I also have to visit primary schools and give advise up to 1 day a week and do any emergency repairs the same day if they call me in the morning.

SMT honestly don't understand why I've asked for a technician to help me..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Musac

My vote goes to the much worse New Zealand equivalent of SIMS.NET.

MUSAC Student and Classroom Manager

Imagine running your entire student database on a ms access db, the bloated core program (VB6) has to be run from a network share. Each workstation has to have a system file pack installed 130mb of system files per computer including some 16bit libraries.

Now just for fun add all the student reports system into a linked ms access db. Throw in 20 or more simultaneous users and the gateway to hell will fly open and swallow you whole.

Each update comes in the form a monthly 250mb download that actually completely reinstalls over the top of the old system. These updates are required month to month to allow the software to actually complete MOE returns and the like.

On the plus side the system file pack is in an MSI which helps to a degree, but only if you are already running XP SP2. If not you must log in as an administrator directly after the deployed install as it does not actually register half of the dlls.

I repackage almost all of the other software as MSIs which bypasses the bad installers and the hoops of installing one version just to upgrade to another. Unfortunately this does not work for drivers like the older ProScopes, they actually refused to even investigate getting a signed windows driver that could be deployed, now thats customer service .

Thank Post
    On a positive note, I really like some of the Sherston stuff. Map Detective is excellent.

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    does anyone install the dreaded testbase software, its a real pain, if you install it onto the network, you still have to put keys in on each machine that uses it, msi deployments are flaky too, quicker just to install locally than try to network it. time it was updated to a new version i.e flash based.

another annoying piece of software we were given on trial but will not be buying is the new version of mathwizz, the old version was easy to put onto the network, but the new one needs registering on each machine that uses it, so keep away

Totally agree with Testbase, absolute pain. Thanks for the heads up on Mathswizz, run it here so will be avoiding the upgrade if i can

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmh View Post

Target Tracker don't get me on Target Tracker i spend most of my waking hours either uninstalling and re-installing it or trying to explain to the teachiong staff how to use the filter wizard. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345