+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, List of bad software in Technical; re OP, I guess we all think of software that's a pain to install is because we aren't trying to ...

Thank Post

Re: List of bad software

re OP, I guess we all think of software that's a pain to install is because we aren't trying to install crap software? I have tried and rejected dozens of programs which didn't get as far as checking out for ease of installation, as they were checked out on my home laptop first to see if they were worth the bother.

midget, you have a lot to learn about Primary Schools, the foundation stage in particular, if you're interested; if you're not, a question like 'what does a primary teacher need a laptop for' is unbelievably redundant. I can't even be bothered to start going into the value of computers to the children, take my word for it, they are valuable to the point that our 35 strong nursery has 3 PCs, on all day, and the children have at least 30 mins a week in the ICT suite.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    Ok its 2:44 am, and I'm just back from my birthday bash but why do people get hung up about Digiblue?
    That must have been one wild Birthday Bash!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh, Macromedia Studio 8. Now there's a fun one to install - even if it is in MSI format!

Thank Post

Writing With Symbols + Makton fine from an end user point of view terrible for an IT Tech point of view.

The version they sent us needs 4 floppy disks to start the install process. First you have to install version 2 of WWS CD with floppy disk then version 2 of Makton CD using another floppy disk with the install program on.
    After waiting ages for both CD’s and floppy disks to install you need to get WWS 2.6CD and the upgrade floppy disk and wait. Once that’s done get the Makton 2.6 CD plus floppy disk and wait. Good look if you have a none floppy disk laptop or PC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

esaams - assessment with multimedia - intended for Music and PE primarily.

Dreadful program, based on MS Access - need I say more! In the first month of use we lost everything.

Very expensive, £1000 for two licences.

We couldn't afford a server dedicated to it, although manglement had already decided they must have it anyway. So if staff swap classes, you have to re-create the whole thing on another PC.

So far the teachers like it, although they get the IT techs to do all the work on it, and they're sending one of us on a teacher training course just to use it.

I wouldn't touch it with your bargepole given the choice.

Thank Post

I had a real struggle with the licensing for Acrobat 8. In hindsight, I think that if I'd just accepted all the defaults it would have been OK, but I tried to understand what it was asking for. Did my head in! Oh and then had firewall issues too...

Working in a Modern Language dept, all word-processors are a PITA when typing accented characters beyond the basic é and few others. Especially nasty on laptops (without the numeric pad)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Blog Entries

First up let me stray a little off topic to pick up the Primary ICT point. Comments like 'what does a primary teacher need a laptop for?' and about planning for playing in sand illustrate a real ignorance about Primary Education that seems endemic in the Secondary Sector. There is excellent ICT teaching going on the primary schools and it is becoming more important, with the required objectives expanding all the time. If the poster is genuinely interested then this would make an excellent discussion topic, if not then perhaps dismissive comments should be avoided.

Anyway back on topic
    I wanted to echo the SIMS.net vote. This is the most user unfriendly piece of software I have ever used that seems to be designed to do things the most complicated way possible. Each update of any part of the system comes with a badly written tome to follow that will probably result in a call to the terrible support

LCP Science Assessments - The actual tests are great, however pupils randomly disappear from the list of people to take the test, you can't have two children with the same name!, if you abandon a test halfway though you can't take it again as it tells you have completed it but the results sheet tells you still need to take the test (cue tinkering in db files). Horrible.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh
    First up let me stray a little off topic to pick up the Primary ICT point. Comments like 'what does a primary teacher need a laptop for?' and about planning for playing in sand illustrate a real ignorance about Primary Education that seems endemic in the Secondary Sector. There is excellent ICT teaching going on the primary schools and it is becoming more important, with the required objectives expanding all the time. If the poster is genuinely interested then this would make an excellent discussion topic, if not then perhaps dismissive comments should be avoided.
    I agree completely.

ICT plays a big part in primary schools, otherwise primary techs like a number of us on here wouldn't be employed.

We have professional networks, interactive whiteboards, projectors, laptops, websites etc. just like the rest of you. Plus I think you'd be surprised at how big some of our networks actually are in primary schools.

Thank Post

Just did a quick count and this is just over the two primary schools I work for:

- Two completely separate websites both with quite a lot of content
    - 12 Admin machines
    - Three ICT Suites with 70+ machines in them altogether
    - 36 Computers in the classrooms
    - 31 Projectors
    - 31 Interactive whiteboards
    - 40+ laptops (possibly many more - not sure)
    - A whole bundle of possibly hundreds of pieces of software
    - 9 servers
    - About nine laser printers scattered around both schools and a whole load of inkjets which I'm trying to get rid of.

And a whole load more like digital cameras etc.

Thank Post

Hi

One of my schools received DAZZLE 3 Network version. The CD had a MSI so I could deploy it through Group Policy. At last I thought the software vendors have realised that schools now have networks and developing the software for easy deployment.!!!!!Wait for it.....

The instructions were to deploy via GP. Then go to one workstation and activate the product. Once that is done you have to copy a file and do a registry hack on each client workstation!!!!. What was the point of creating the MSI and having to then visit each workstation ad do the hack?

Has anyone come across this? If so have you fount a clever workround to deploy this? I will be grateful if you would share.

Many thanks

Thank Post

@Calapso

Yes, I find software does this all the time...

solution 1:
    reg2adm converter from NUTS http://yizhar.mvps.org/ (and elsewhere) this will do it;

solution 2:
    If you know VBS scripts you can import a registry file and run this in the startup scripts (very much neater);

Both methods assume you can get a reg file.
    When I need to send these out, I try to send them BEFORE I desploy the MSI.

Thank Post

My personal grudge is Smart Learning.

My school purchased this some 3 years ago, the cursor disappears on alot of the activities (normal the ones that say look at the cursor), i get login errors.

Promised me a patch to fix it back in 2004/2005, still waiting!!!

Thank Post

ah, more nelson thornes, a psychogy program that asks you to create a shortcut to a splash html page, that goes no where, index.html is much more use, but not mentioned!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    esaams - assessment with multimedia - intended for Music and PE primarily.....I wouldn't touch it with your bargepole given the choice.
    After hitting the CD we were sent with a big stick, using it as a frisbee - we actually threw it out of the server room window to see how far it would go - we then told the teacher who was piloting the package that we'd lost the CD.....

8O

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dare I mention the ALAN package.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast