+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, How do YOU wire your data cabinets? in Technical; Is there some sort of art to doing this? No matter what I try I just cant seem to wire ...
    Thank Post

How do YOU wire your data cabinets?

Is there some sort of art to doing this? No matter what I try I just cant seem to wire a data cabinet in a nice neat way like you see when a company comes in and does it

Assuming I am using 0.5m patch leads and 1u cable management bar + switch + copper patch panel

How do you do it :?: :?:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: How do YOU wire your data cabinets?

There are ways to keep wiring racks tidy but few do it.

Some hints:
    • Leave some space, it might be a nice feat of engineering to pack 2" diameter cable bundle in a 2" space but thats too tight. Want the next cable run to be in there neat then leave some space, at least 3 times what is going in up front.
    • If you might expand, leave even more space.
    • Smaller bundles logically grouped. Putting everything in one big bundle makes it harder to work with. There is picture tidy and practical tidy, you want the later.
    • Pre-wire and provision all you can right up front to reduce add ons and mess grow. EVEN if it means potentially dead cable. Costs more in the short term but less that the long term. This eliminates the costs and needs to rip open the bundles every month for 10 years.
    • Before hiring someone, see their work. Yes, the other guy is cheaper but doesn't put the cables in tidy...
    • Specify in contracts (internal or external) that tidy inspections, not just functional specifications as need to be met before the job is considered done.
    • Realise the proportion of tidyness in the rack is proportionate to the quality planning. In fact, to know how organized a place is, ask to see their rackspace.
    • Add and use hooks along side the raceways just for new cable. When the hook gets full, bundle it off to the side. This is so your not forever rebundling cable.
    • Consider a distributed model where all the cable is decentralized in smaller chunks with high speed uplinks. "One Big Switch" is often one big mess no one wants to touch.
    • Get management support for policies on above. You may need to rectify an techie who just throws a cable over in a disorganized way, make them follow up and do it right.

Thank Post

It just comes down to good planning. When i started here, it was a mess, and wasnt labled properly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts

We had one installer before I started here that would use 3m patch leads for everything and the excess was wound around the back of the management panels and posts in the cab.

Takes ages to trace a cable.

Depends on how your uplinks etc.. are setup.

You'd think a 24 port switch and a 24 port patch panel would be easy to make tidy.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    It just comes down to good planning. When i started here, it was a mess, and wasnt labled properly.

Labeled? Whats that?

*Nothing* is labeled here, well thats not strictly true, we have a "brilliant" system of labeling things 1-30 and then when we run out of numbers, go back to 1 and round and round lmao

My network diagram is in my head

Thank Post

The problem is...no matter how many times you tidy your data cabs. They are always going to end up messy becuase networks are ever changing to suit the situation.

I spent a proportion of the easter holiday a couple of years ago with the head of ICT re-cabling the server room. The server cab didnt even have sides on it before we started...there were servers on the floor and cables strung accross the room etc.

When we were done it looked so neat and tidy....then some idiot contractor drilled holes through the wall behind it and sprayed brick dust all over servers.

MUCH anger.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton

Labeled? Whats that?

*Nothing* is labeled here, well thats not strictly true, we have a "brilliant" system of labeling things 1-30 and then when we run out of numbers, go back to 1 and round and round lmao

My network diagram is in my head
    roflmfao

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries

In our data cabinets, our old supplier seemed to be addicted to 2m patch leads - no matter what the run length was. So, in a cab with a single 24 port panel and switch, the cable would wind all over the place. Add in the problem of labelling being useless (some are labelled, some are not and some are mislabelled) it takes a *long* time to trace a cable - thank god for the feature in HP switches to trace which MAC is on which port!!

Personally I have not had a chance to tidy any cabinets yet, but I intend to next holiday (I don't have time this summer). This will involve lots of cable shortening and labelling...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ours are like this.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Ours are like this.
    Oooh purty...

For myself I've recently upgraded a network cabinet and whilst it's not 100% there yet it's much nicer.. Organisation and planning seemed the be the key thing and as I had a colleague along with much more experience in this area I was happy to accept his wisdom..

I think we spent 5 hours just going through, labelling, checking and double checking all the cables before we actually did any rewiring and it paid off, making the actual rewiring and adding of a few new sockets a breeze..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Ours are like this.
    Hope the red one thats unplugged isn't important.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Blog Entries

I too have inherited some terrible cabling. What is it with people using solely 2m cables and stuffing it down the back of the cabinet when 0.5m would be perfectly adequate and neat?

The oddest thing (that still makes me laugh when I see it) is one cabinet that is HUGE and (for some reason) mounted halfway up the wall, with the patch panel at the very top and the switch at the very bottom which requires very long cables to connect the two. Apparently they were all put in at the same time but nobody thought to question it. Bloody annoying as I have to get a ladder to get to the patch panel!

Thank Post

Cant you just move the switch up to the top?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Cant you just move the switch up to the top?
    Of course, but then I have to get the ladder to fiddle with both the switch and the patch panel :P

Thank Post

Oh yh lol.

Cable loom not got any room to move? Sometimes they've got space so that they can be taken back down to the bottom of the cab...unless the cables come in at the top then you're stuffed LOL.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast