+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How do you do....it? Thread, Practical Test for Interview in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer To be honest what they did for B I would class as the correct result. Why ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    To be honest what they did for B I would class as the correct result.

Why wait for a service engineer when the issue can be solved easily?

Ben
    I certainly wouldn't call it a wrong answer. The ideal answer would be "The fault is x but as they're under warranty I'd normally have stopped at point y and booked the call in"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    I set 3 last week for some interviews

Basically I set up 4 computers "A" "B" "C" and "D" - This is so the candidate can move on to another task if they get stuck on one.

"A" had onboard VGA and graphics card VGA - All the candidate had to do was identify the VGA was plugged into the onboard VGA rather than the graphics card VGA

"B" did not power on - I removed the "Power_SW" cable from the motherboard HOWEVER the candidates were given a sheet stating specifically "B" and "D" were under 5 years old and covered by a 5 year warranty so they just needed to maybe try a different kettle lead then book a service call - None picked up on this and all ended up reconnecting the Power_SW!

"C" would successfully login to domain with some provided credentials however "D" would not login with same credentials - Network connectivity was fine but "D" needed adding to domain via System properties (Local admin accounts were provided)

Then a helpdesk priority exercise.
    With B I would say contact the manufacturer and advise it is not powering on or < insert issue with computer here > and check if you are ok to do some diagnostics ie take the side panel off if it is a desktop or whatever is required to look into the issue further with a laptop and go from there.

Just as an example I have done this with Dell and Lenovo computers ( Mainly laptops ) and can easily take them apart to do certain things and said laptops are still covered under warranty ie swapping the laptops keyboard / optical drive / swapping out ram / swapping a hard drive over etc

So some things don't void the warranty if you have to do them as the support person vs the manufacturer sending an engineer out to repair said item

I can see where the poster is coming from with regards to wanting the support person to log a support ticket with the manufacturer as you need to try and keep said devices working without voiding any warranties in the process.

Thank Post
    When I did my MCSE, one of the questions had us identifying i/p address, eg 192.168.1.1 is class C and private. There was a class E address as one of the questions. I've always included this in my interview questions and not one person has got it, even those who have an MCSE with wet ink. Maybe they don't ask that question any longer. OK, so it's a meany, but still valid IMO.

Usually I'm much kinder; tell me what to look for when a printer isn't working. Most get the physical aspects (paper, electricity, ink/toner, etc), most get connectivity (network or other cable), most check if the correct driver is installed, many forget to check that the spooler is running and a lot fail to ask the obvious question - can the program you are trying to print from actually handle printing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    When I did my MCSE, one of the questions had us identifying i/p address, eg 192.168.1.1 is class C and private. There was a class E address as one of the questions. I've always included this in my interview questions and not one person has got it, even those who have an MCSE with wet ink. Maybe they don't ask that question any longer. OK, so it's a meany, but still valid IMO.

Usually I'm much kinder; tell me what to look for when a printer isn't working. Most get the physical aspects (paper, electricity, ink/toner, etc), most get connectivity (network or other cable), most check if the correct driver is installed, many forget to check that the spooler is running and a lot fail to ask the obvious question - can the program you are trying to print from actually handle printing?
    As with the OSI, Class E is a bit irrelivent ( as I guess is a red dwarf quote )

We should be asking more questions on alternate OS's .

I found a DEC Aplha Server in a customers dungeon today... would love to give that a whirl on an alpha aware Linux

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    As with the OSI, Class E is a bit irrelivent ( as I guess is a red dwarf quote )

We should be asking more questions on alternate OS's .

I found a DEC Aplha Server in a customers dungeon today... would love to give that a whirl on an alpha aware Linux

Rob
    I thought that was why they invented / created / came up with CIDR ?

Agree with different O/Ses but with it being questions to ask for an interview, I would say it depends on what the job entails as they should be asking questions related to what said person would be expected to do in said job

If it is for an I.T Technician then trying to work out how many hosts are in a particular subnet wouldn't be done straight away as that would normally fall on the network manager or Senior I.T Tech possibly

Presumably the I.T Tech would do more fire fighting ie pc not powering on, password reset, printing issues, pc repairs and re-builds, some network connectivity diagnostics and if possible resolving them etc

Been for a few interviews myself and they varied from place to place depending on what said place was after and what the network manager was like

Thank Post
    Sadly I quite enjoy the subnet stuff.

But I don't bother working it out by hand ( or in my head ) ... I have a subnet calc on the phone

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Sadly I quite enjoy the subnet stuff.

But I don't bother working it out by hand ( or in my head ) ... I have a subnet calc on the phone

Rob
    I would have to be connected to the internet or like you use an app on my phone as not been shown or figured out how to work it out in my head / on paper or the likes. sigh

Thank Post
    It's quite simple, so long as you can understand binary 8 bit numbers..

It just take longer ( for non standard masks ) to think about it than to put it in a calculator..

Rob

9. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

mac_shinobi (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    That's the thing. It's not valid. Class-based IP addressing was superseded in 1993.

11. Thanks to Roberto from:

mac_shinobi (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    That's the thing. It's not valid. Class-based IP addressing was superseded in 1993.
    Must be an echo in the forum ( although I did not post the wikipedia link )

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Roberto (17th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I can see where the poster is coming from with regards to wanting the support person to log a support ticket with the manufacturer as you need to try and keep said devices working without voiding any warranties in the process.
    "Wait, is this something trivial?" is a proper question to ask before entering the unwieldy bureaucracy of warranty repair.

No competent vendor (Dell, HP & Lenovo, misc others) will invalidate a warranty if you adding components, return the device to it's correct state or perform any number of routine maintenance and diagnostic procedures.

(I'm assuming the tech under question is not a pimply 16yr old you wouldn't trust with a plastic screwdriver on a 486 doorstep).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123