+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Admin & Curric networks -a different spin on the old problem in Technical; Originally Posted by mark Teachers have access to the MIS here to take registers every lesson. <snip> MIS Systems have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Admin & Curric networks -a different spin on the old pro

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Teachers have access to the MIS here to take registers every lesson.

<snip>

MIS Systems have permission systems, so only assigned individuals have access to change details.
    Really? That's interesting. What MIS do you use and what phase do you work in?

If staff are logged into a VLE - the exact same problem exists.
    Well as you pointed out above, they will not be assigned to do that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh
    Really? That's interesting. What MIS do you use and what phase do you work in?
    SIMS .net > Capita
    11-18

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh
    Well as you pointed out above, they will not be assigned to do that.
    They can view sensitive documents needed to carry out their job. Just because it's on a VLE rather than a network share offers no more security when PCs are left logged in and unattended.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They can view sensitive documents needed to carry out their job. Just because it's on a VLE rather than a network share offers no more security when PCs are left logged in and unattended.

Sure, but was I more talking about the altering of data. My point was that if a teacher left a machine logged into the MIS then a pupil could potentially cause havoc. The way I want to set things up is that there is a one way link from MIS -> VLE meaning that yes, if the teacher leaves a VLE session running, the pupil can get at the data but not alter it. Still not good, granted.

Of course now I know that permissions can be set on the MIS this does alter things.

Obviously there is a great difference in the way that primary and secondary schools work. In my experience, with primary schools being much smaller, if a teacher needs some info, it is an easy job to pop to the office and request it. The risk of opening up the admin network does not bring sufficient benefit. In a secondary school, perhaps this is not the case.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Admin & Curric networks -a different spin on the old problem

Wreaking havoc isn't such a problem, that's what backups are for! :P

No - it's the laws regarding data protection that concern me, and that huge policeman that stands in the shadows with those shiny handcuffs.

Yes Secondary teachers are a lazy bunch, walking to the office breaches the workload agreement dontchaknow

Thank Post

From Sparkeh

First off let me put my hands up and say I’m dead against joining the admin and curriculum networks. Having some responsibility for Data Protection in my role makes me very cautious; if I have to pick up pupils reports and performance management reports that are left lying around the printers who knows what teachers leave on their laptops for anyone to see!
    Why. The reason schools had two networks in the "old" days was because of the security vulnerabiliites inherent in the NT4 platform. Server operating systems are far more robust and security enhanced than ever before. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "if you have to pick up pupils reports ..." and "who knows what teachers leave on their laptops"

This will happen whether networks are split or united, this is not a network issue it is more an educating the educator issue. Providing all the appropriate security measures have been taken by a responsible network administrator in terms of permissions and password complexity/policy there should be no reason why a school cannot operate on a single domain. The overriding problem in any school will be the neglect by teaching staff and indeed admin staff of their responsiblity towards confidentiality. This might be because of disruptive students causing them to forget to secure their pc but it is not an excuse. We have to do this on a daily basis when responding to calls (I am assuming you all Ctr-Alt-Del k) each time you leave your workstation?!!) and it is no different for staff. The discipline for this needs to be initiated and followed through by SMT.

Sure, but was I more talking about the altering of data. My point was that if a teacher left a machine logged into the MIS then a pupil could potentially cause havoc.
    We also use SIMS and have created our own permissions for teaching staff that are read only and therefore, even if data is left open it cannot be changed.

I can understand those that are concerned with unauthorised access to data with the potential to change and delete items however, if, as mentioned above you are a responisble network administrator these things are part and parcel of your every day work and we should not be afraid to exercise our skills.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctbjs
    however, if, as mentioned above you are a responisble network administrator these things are part and parcel of your every day work and we should not be afraid to exercise our skills.
    I'm not sure if you are calling my sense of responsibility into question here, I sincerely hope not, but think I am acting in rather a responsible way.

Depends on how you operate doesn't it. I maintain a solution that works and people are happy with. It might be more convenient to have a single network, but knowing how the users operate it will introduce problems, and where data protection is concerned quite serious problems. As I said, if I encourage staff to develop a more responsible attitude, as I am doing, and they demonstrate they can work in the correct manner then I will consider it. But I won't now.

I think an irresponsible manager would open it up knowing that there are potential problems but do it anyway.

Thank Post

I just think some people are scared of change

Thank Post

Taking all the opinions and examples of working practice into account... I'm wondering if one possible approach might be something like this:

- Limit access to a number of specific workstations (eg: staff room, PPA room) and accounts.
    - Usual complexity, length password requirements for these accounts.
    - Accounts with high level access have password screensaver setup to activate after short periods of time and autologoff after 30 minus
    - Differentiation of accounts for classroom teaching vs' SIMS and other sensitive access
    - SIMS access from other workstations is read only for staff accounts - unsure if this is possible but it might help with the "accidental editing".
    - Forget about laptop access as a rule and provide it only as an exception when the staff member has proven they can handle the responsibility

Beyond that all the SMT backup, training and the like... ?

Thank Post

@sparkeh

I'm not sure if you are calling my sense of responsibility into question here, I sincerely hope not, but think I am acting in rather a responsible way.
    Not at all, your sense of responsibility was not the topic of my discussion. It was merely to state the point that "Any" responsible network administrator should not be afraid to exercise their skills.

I am in agreement with you in that it depends upon how you operate and I for one am extremely mindful of Data Protection, hence teachers only are provided with read only versions of SIMS.net and are reminded of the need to ensure that their workstations are secure from access by students. I would reiterate that this is the underlying problem we face with regards to information being available to unauthorised personnel and that, like many other things in life, it is not going to be until someone is found with information they shouldn't have before it is taken seriously. In the meantime we must keep educating the educators.

@contink

I think the idea of having a SIMS logon account for a workstation in a classroom is a good idea as the teacher would only log on to that workstation to access sims and then have to log off and log on with their teacher account in order to carry out their lesson. It may cause them some frustration at having to do so but perhaps with some education and guidance they may realise the reason for doing so is in their interests.

Thank Post

Further to that idea I figure setting the desktop wallpaper for the staff/SIMS account so it has something like "RESTRICTED ACCESS" or something obvious displayed that staff can recognise so they don't make any mistakes.

Thank Post

Thanks for all your comments so far.
    I think Contink's idea is sort of what I was getting at in my original post - basically to give teachers a curric (day to day) password and an admin (secure data) password.
    However, what I'm thinking is to log on as a curric user then map a drive to to the admin network (requiring the user to enter their ADMIN password because the curriculum user won't have access) when, and only when, they need enhanced access. I could probably make a script that will introduce a screensaver time out etc...
    So: what's the best way to achieve this?
    - Simply, have 2 domains, same IP range.
    or
    - VPN? - probably a bit overkill?
    Are there any other problems you can think of with this model?

Thank Post

Thanks for all your comments so far.
    I think Contink's idea is sort of what I was getting at in my original post - basically to give teachers a curric (day to day) password and an admin (secure data) password.
    However, what I'm thinking is to log on as a curric user then map a drive to to the admin network (requiring the user to enter their ADMIN password because the curriculum user won't have access) when, and only when, they need enhanced access. I could probably make a script that will introduce a screensaver time out etc...
    So: what's the best way to achieve this?
    - Simply, have 2 domains, same IP range.
    or
    - VPN? - probably a bit overkill?
    Are there any other problems you can think of with this model?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12