+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Internal Radio Station in Technical; Has anybody set up the above and linked it in with the curriculum as part of music qualifications? If so ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

Internal Radio Station

Has anybody set up the above and linked it in with the curriculum as part of music qualifications?
    If so how? what hardware and software costs (Cannot fund huge amount) and what success have they had, both with the Students and the Staff?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Internal Radio Station

Linux box, running ICECast. LAMP based front end to run it all. Spits out MP3 streams that any media player can cope with.

Thank Post

Thanks Geoff will give it a try have a good weekend m8

Thank Post

Sounds an interesting project but what would its ultimate use be? Just streaming kids work or having a constant 'safe' radio system available to the kids?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

how did you get on with this?

Thank Post

apologies to all for not replying sooner but have been doing major projects throughout the school and as this radio station was just my idea to the school it needed backing and as the music teacher has been off i could not move on this even though the HT thought it was a good idea.
    I don't just want to stream media but want to empower the kids to create their own radio station via their music lessons and use it as part of their curriculum.
    have scheduled it in for next april with the music teacher who is now back and thinks it would be very good for the kid's.
    So if anyone has ideas as to how we can develop it i am all ears as i havn't had much time. All ideas will be taken seriously.

Thank Post

Sorry to pipe up here,
    But I am pretty sure that to pipe music to a captive audience you will need and MCPS/PRS licence for Internet radio. Even if it is purely internal, you are still distributing music to an audience.

With the legal bit now covered.

I used to be part of an internet radio station (before the PRS's ludicrous fees made it unviable)
    But they had some interesting software that allowed users from all over the world connect to it in pre arranged time slots and present thier own shows.
    This could be useful for the kids interested in media production at GCSE/6th Form

http://www.cmpradio.co.uk

Thank Post

As above id check licences etc.

But heres something which might be able to be adapted to your needs.

http://streamline.sourceforge.net/

Allows you to stream and/or download any single track, full cd/directory or make a custom playlist which will then play in mediaplayer.

It organises the tracks straight from your directory structure so nice and easy to manage many many files. Even supports thumbnails/

Thank Post

> I don't just want to stream media but want to empower the kids to create
    > their own radio station via their music lessons and use it as part of their
    > curriculum. have scheduled it in for next april

I've had a few thoughts similar to this myself. I had a bit on an investigate about equipment needed. Cunning plan: buy a bunch of those PC-to-FM-radio adapters (£5-ish each?) that take a stereo input and transmit very low-powered FM signal. Tune these all to the same frequency, distribute them throughout the school and you have a school-wide radio network that doesn't stretch beyond the grounds.

I'm not quite sure how exactly to go about getting the signal to the wireless adapters in the first place, though. Could run a bunch of stereo cables around the school, much like cat5, but I'm not sure what the signal loss would be like. Could transmit the signal over cat5 somehow (solder together some stereo-cat5 / cat5-stereo adapter plugs?). Could stream the audio over a network connection to a small PC for transmission, but that's starting to get expensive.

What we could do with is a Power Over Ethernet-cable combined audio stream receiver and FM transmiter...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

We had a demo of a mobile radio station last week - very nice if you've around £15k spare. He glossed over my question about the legality of mp3 tracks saying that although technically illegal, no one would get prosecuted....hmmmm....

Thank Post

We (primary school) ended up going down the route of pre-recording the shows(they are only news broadcasts at the moment) and now post them on an internal website to be played back through media player embedded in the web page. I know its not true radio broadcasts but its a start and when will the kids listen to a broadcast show anyway, playtime they are out and lunch time they can't hear it. At least this way they can play the shgows back during class time for the kids to listen to. Software wise we (well OK just me at the moment) just use Audacity, does multitracking and mps creation and all for free :-)
    Don't know if your LEA subscribes to AudioNetwork but ours does and we get to use quite a range of music free under their license.

kerrymoralee9280

The year 1 teacher asked me the other day - to get a quote on some equipment.

She wants the studio to have everything needed (i.e. amp, microphone, cd player etc etc) and then each classroom and corridor to have ceiling speakers. Each room has it's own volume control so they can turn it up/off/on etc.

Thing is her husband is an electricial so I think we'll be getting it done cheaper than usual.

Thank Post

Depends on how much the teacher wants to take control. Personally I think the students need to submit their 'programme' for checking by someone & then it could be saved to a folder and Streamline mentioned before could just suck up that directory. Problem is that could be very time consuming having to listen to all those tracks to check suitability.

Thank Post

We thought about doing something similar here, with the sudents running their own stations / PODcasts but it died pretty quickly after buying the PODCasting equipment. It may be something we seriously look at again in the future, its just having the time and finding a teacher responsible to work with the students on preparing material etc.

PEO
    Thank Post

if its an internal radio, you wouldnt need a licence

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast