+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Internal Radio Station in Technical; Might be worth a read http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml We was looking at something similar at my school we are doing weekly pre ...

Thank Post

Re: Internal Radio Station

Might be worth a read http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

We was looking at something similar at my school we are doing weekly pre recorded video broadcasts instead. Getting students to record, edit, direct and produce even staff get involved in the fun (teachers as well!!!)

Thank Post

Thats the next step for us as I see the kids getting more involved in creating a video production so they can report on an event in the school and share it with the others.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

I would like to thank you all for the imput so far it's good to get impartial views and other peoples experiences.

It's given me food for thought and when i start the project I'm sure i will have some good moments to share with you all.

Thank Post
    @Techsupp
    We (primary school) ended up going down the route of pre-recording the shows(they are only news broadcasts at the moment) and now post them on an internal website to be played back through media player embedded in the web page.
    Any chance of further details on running an internal website with pre recorded shows, like the sound of this for a lunchtime club. Thanks

Thank Post
    We used to do something similar about ten years ago when I was still at school on the last day of every term. Back then we used the tannoy system in the school to broadcast it using a crude system of a tape player wired into the line inputs on the tannoy amp to broadcast a radio show recorded earlier in the day. Takeover Tannoy it was called, always went down a hit!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This site may be helpful especially if you plan to do any of it live: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...broadcast.aspx

All of the streaming broadcast stuff is free and included with Server 2003 and up as Windows Media Services. You simply encode the recording in a streaming format (asf) using WM9 Encoder and put it on the server. It can then be streamed rather than fully downloaded to all of the clients and you also have the option of doing live shows if you want to.

Thank Post

School Radio

Wey Valley Radio - Homepage

I had some input in setting up Wey Valley Radio a few years back. I think they use shoutcast. They broadcast thru speakers in corridor and media player on pc's in school. I also think they broadcast on the net too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    The year 1 teacher asked me the other day - to get a quote on some equipment.

She wants the studio to have everything needed (i.e. amp, microphone, cd player etc etc) and then each classroom and corridor to have ceiling speakers. Each room has it's own volume control so they can turn it up/off/on etc.

Thing is her husband is an electricial so I think we'll be getting it done cheaper than usual.
    My old school had such a system since 1986! Not sure how they've done it now they've just moved into in their shiny new build though.

Thank Post
    And with my powerful voodoo, I shall raise the dead! [/NECROBUMP]

One of our teachers, who is a DJ in his spare time, has asked for an internal radio for lunchtimes. He'll run it, he just wants us to set it up (meaning I don't have to worry about the legal bits)
    We already have an existing PA system that can be used to section off parts of the school. This works well because we want it only in the dining hall, and the PA does have a dining hall subgroup. So preferably hooking it into that somehow would be glorious.
    Since he have metric tonnes of Cat6 cable lay around, it would probably be a good idea to use that. We have plenty of spare PC's around, both Most are Win7 but I've set up 3 with Ubuntu, and we do possess the capability of splicing 3.5mm jacks onto the cables if required. (We can rebuild him! We have the technology!)

Thing is.. I have zero idea where to start with this xD I'm thinking about using the existing Cat6 runs to transfer the audio without bothering to use data packets. An RJ45-3.5mm jack in the dining hall (where the 'DJing' will take place) and one in reception (where the PA is), with a Cat6 cable running through the ceiling void and that should work fine... But we have a lot of fluorescent lights here, and from what I read up that'll cause interference with audio.. I don't think the Head's going to allocate enough funds to buy basic dj'ing equipment AND re-do the run in shielded cable.. So I'm a little stuck there.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 14th May 2012 at 03:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12