+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, MSI - Quick Time in Technical; Hi, I desperately need an MSI for QuickTime. (actually I need a number of other MSI's. ) but lets focus ...

Thank Post

MSI - Quick Time

Hi, I desperately need an MSI for QuickTime. (actually I need a number of other MSI's. ) but lets focus on Quicktime because it is most urgent.

I understand that for obvious reasons one can't simply post a list of commercial MSI's for downloaded, but I fail to see how if someone offered to help me build compile a Quicktime MSI to support and and help me personally, ( as a act of service) how that can this be wrong?

In other words, if I employed someone to do this and they came on site, would we be wrongfully building msi's to use in and at this school?

If the answer to the above question is No, then how is it wrong if someone offered to help me build a Quicktime MSI? and emailed it to me?

If you can help, please email me or message me off-line.

best regards
    Roly

Thank Post

Re: MSI - Quick Time

If the answer to the above question is No, then how is it wrong if someone offered to help me build a Quicktime MSI? and emailed it to me?
    Am not 100% familiar with Quicktime's license agreement, but I'd imagine the issue with be redistribution.

I created a transform for allow deployment of Apple's MSI, and it was one of the most involved packages I've had to do. I guess I could send this to you (as it doesn't include any Apple software).

Did you know you need to apply for a license for network deployment of Quicktime player, as you would flash player, acrobat reader etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can use a silent setup for Quicktime if that helps - there are some details at

http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=520

I've downloaded the quicktimeinstaller.exe file and just run it with a /s switch to install silently as part of the machine startup script - checking if it's not already installed before it's run!

Thank Post

I just did quicktime installation using the MSI

appdeploy has a great guide, here's the script I'm using

BTW: to get the MSI, just run setup on a machine, and then navigate to your TEMP files folder BEFORE CANCELLING SETUP... a folder for setup will have been created, containing the MSI. Details are at appdeploy, but just remember to copy the files BEFORE cancelling setup. Then just cancel setup after you got the msi.

Full script that runs at computer startup is as follows:

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    IF NOT EXIST "\\SERVERNAME\deployments\completions\quicktime\Quicktime %computername%.txt" (goto INSTALL) else (goto EOF)
    :INSTALL
    del /S /F /Q C:\Windows\System32\QuickTime*.*
    msiexec /i \\SERVERNAME\deployments\quicktime\QuickTime.msi ALLUSERS=1 REGSRCH_INSTALL_ASU=0 DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ProductLanguage=1033 /qn /log "\\SERVERNAME\deployments\completions\quicktime\Quicktime %computername%.txt"
    copy /Y \\SERVERNAME\deployments\quicktime\QuickTime.qtp "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime"
    :EOF
    It checks for the existence of a TXT file named "Quicktime COMPNAME.txt" (like "Quicktime CLASSLAB014.txt") on the server. If it finds it, it skips installation. If it isn't there, it first deletes two annoying files in the system32 directory (quicktimevr.vtx or something) that tend to cause constant "Quicktime needs to be updated" dialogs, then it runs the MSI with the switches that make it not install the autoupdate service, use English language, and add no desktop shortcuts.
    It outputs the results to the "Quicktime COMPNAME" file on the server.
    The "quicktime.qtp" copying is a trick from appdeploy, where you setup quicktime on one computer how you want it, then copy the quicktime.qtp file from that computer to each computer quicktime is on.

Thank Post

Go to the Adobe Website and register then you can download an MSI for Acrobat, Shockwave, Flash, QUICKTIME and more.

There is nothing in their licence that will stop you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't think their licence will allow for distribution of Quicktime considering it's not an Adobe product :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread