+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, How many ICT technicians here teach and/or have after school clubs? in Technical; Hey all, I am the sole ICT technician here at my Primary School, and have been asked on numerous occasions ...

Thank Post

How many ICT technicians here teach and/or have after school clubs?

Hey all,

I am the sole ICT technician here at my Primary School, and have been asked on numerous occasions by our year 5 and 6 to teach them how computers work etc. So have been contemplating the idea of setting up a after school club, to teach them the basics of what a computer is/made up from/how it works. Then also have a kind of FAQ section with them where they ask me how to sort things then we work together to find out the answers.

However I have been told by our head that next year I am to have our next year 6 class for a timetabled ICT class! Which I am extremely excited about, I was just wondering how many guys on here, do their main ICT related job, but also have elements of teaching, or afterschool clubs, and the kind of things you are teaching, and how its going down with the pupils?

As well as the ICT class/club I am thinking about setting up a Media Production Club, where we will have a team of pupils and myself who work together to record special assemblies and performances that the rest of the school are performing. This can then be used as part of their learning, but also means we will have video footage/evidence of specific events that go down in the school.

Thanks in advance guys

sdc
    Thank Post
    Hi,

I teach a group of year 8's once per year; this is to give an introduction to programming (on BBC Basic, using BeebEm). This then leads into an after-school club for those interested, which I also run. This covers more detailed programming and hardware, and is proving very popular. This is on top of my 'day job' as IT manager, but I do it because I enjoy it and the pupils have a genuine interest. Next academic year I may also be teaching the hardware elements of the new BTEC course we're offering to Sixth Formers, but that's to be confirmed.

Hope that helps!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to run a lunchtime computer club 5 days a week in a previous school where I worked. This was on a purely voluntary basis [I was not asked by management to do it and I was not paid for it] Eventually I had to stop because there was not enough time to run the club and do the work I had to do.

About three years ago [at my current school] one of my technicians was asked to run an after school computer club. This was very successful with more students than could be allowed in wanting to attend. The funding was removed after a year and the club was closed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Prior to redundancy in the Primary I used to be Tech in (for 7 years) I ran KS 1 and KS2 ICT Clubs. Used to love running it and apart from the superb Sherston Mega Bundle software - Microsoft Office etc used to let them have a reward slot at the end of the club where they could go onto safe games from friv4school.com.

5. Thanks to speckytecky from:

SimpleSi (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    How many ICT technicians here teach and/or have after school clubs?
    I used to teach the Microsoft courses at our local college in the evenings, now I teach with the OU part-time.

Does that count?

Thank Post
    Here I help with a Tech based after school club, as well as doing small group lessons on scratch. There's always a teacher present whenever I'm 'teaching'.

Thank Post
    I ran an after school computer club last year (while there was funding to pay me ) and I rather enjoyed it apart from one young man who is always a handful...

I got the kids trying a range of programs...

From memory they used:
    Wings 3D (free)
    Sculptris (free)
    Showed them how to use Google Maps (streetview especially) better
    A little bit on Excel (they were bored by that as was I)
    Some basic photo manipulation with IrfanView (free)
    ...and some other bits and bobs that I can't remember.

They seemed to enjoy most of it and a few of them even did presentations to their class showing what they produced.

Sculptris was probably their favourite software...mostly as one of the supplied models is a full human body and you can probably guess what manipulations were performed on that!. I think a couple of the girls in the group will be very disappointed in later life judging from their poor grasp of basic anatomy*

*I found that by not reacting to what they were doing to the figure they soon got bored and started doing more suitable work

rad
    Thank Post
    We only run a supervised Homework session at lunch and before school. The only teaching I do/done was recently to help out in the GCSE Computing lesson when they took PC's apart. more to follow I am sure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigo19 View Post
    Hey all,

However I have been told by our head that next year I am to have our next year 6 class for a timetabled ICT class!
    I'm sorry but you shouldn't be excited about that, you should be horrified. Taking an IT club in your own time is one thing, but officially teaching when you are neither a trained teacher NOR paid to do it, is quite another.AFAIC it is a way for the school to get cheap teachers. It sounds as if you are keen to do it but please don't be complicit in this - get a proper rate for the job!

11. 3 Thanks to witch:

bossman (4th July 2012), CESIL (3rd July 2012), Roberto (4th July 2012)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigo19 View Post
    Hey all,

I am the sole ICT technician here at my Primary School, and have been asked on numerous occasions by our year 5 and 6 to teach them how computers work etc. So have been contemplating the idea of setting up a after school club, to teach them the basics of what a computer is/made up from/how it works. Then also have a kind of FAQ section with them where they ask me how to sort things then we work together to find out the answers.

However I have been told by our head that next year I am to have our next year 6 class for a timetabled ICT class! Which I am extremely excited about, I was just wondering how many guys on here, do their main ICT related job, but also have elements of teaching, or afterschool clubs, and the kind of things you are teaching, and how its going down with the pupils?
    Got to agree with Witch here - if you're not qualified to teach, you should be running in the opposite direction from this as fast as possible. Have they offered you a suitable payrise to reflect your new teaching responsibility?

13. Thanks to Roberto from:

bossman (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch

I'm sorry but you shouldn't be excited about that, you should be horrified. Taking an IT club in your own time is one thing, but officially teaching when you are neither a trained teacher NOR paid to do it, is quite another.AFAIC it is a way for the school to get cheap teachers. It sounds as if you are keen to do it but please don't be complicit in this - get a proper rate for the job!
    I couldn't agree more...

Are you ready to have your teaching assessed by Ofsted? Do you know the elements that make an Outstanding lesson? Is having unqualified teachers not taking part in GTP going to help your school meet Ofsted criteria.

As a governor, I would be horrified if I found this happening at my governor school.

15. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

bossman (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    You don't have to be a qualified teacher to teach. You can go in as a Trainer (i think thats the term). In which you have suitable qualifications to teach the subject just not have QTS status.

The school has to prove there is nobody better suited to the roll then you though.

17. Thanks to glennda from:

SimpleSi (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    I've been asked to help run the new cycling club...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    If not a qualified teacher you could take classes as an instructor.

Ben

20. Thanks to plexer from:

SimpleSi (4th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If not a qualified teacher you could take classes as an instructor.

Ben
    Thats the word i meant not trainer!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast