+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Should I be doing this? in Technical; Originally Posted by Badaz52 as I am not qualified to do so and in my opinion not hired to do ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badaz52 View Post
    as I am not qualified to do so and in my opinion not hired to do that.
    I'd be interested to know what sort of qualification you think there is to drill holes? (Beyond the ladder, tool use, and asbestos briefing etc)

Seriously, a little bit of wiring here and there shouldn't be beyond any but the smallest team in a school. However, a large-scale installation would be better sub contracted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just from the safety angle, where are your asbestos and hazardous materials logs? You need to get a full report of hazards before you drill your first hole or raise your first ceiling tile. I've had a school shut down because we drilled into the wrong pillar. It was a men-in-white-suits job.

If it's a new-ish school you should be fine, but '70s schools are a nightmare.

I had a letter from my old employer telling us that if anyone had been up into the ceiling void to lay cables (thankfully I didn't) then it was almost certain that we had been in direct contact with asbestos blankets. I wouldn't want the worry of that hanging over me.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 26th June 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Whether you are capable of doing it and whether they should be asking you are two different things in my opinion.

I do small to medium cabling jobs in house as I had a lot of training on it in my last school by people with years of experience. It's very easy to do cabling badly if you have not been properly trained (or even if you have). I've certainly seen enough contractors doing a rubbish job to know that's true. However, we still get contractors in to do the trunking for bigger jobs, and then I will feed and terminate the cable.

As @teejay says, you need to have the right tools (including testing kit), you need to know the regs, and your employer absolutely must have the right insurance to do this in house. This is not a job to be treated as 'DIY'.

If this sort of works is a) not in your JD, and b) was not mentioned at interview, then it's not on for them to insist on it when you have no prior experience. Consult your union.

Thank Post
    I'd find out if the previous incumbent did network cabling first of all to determine where the expectation comes from. Tradition is not an excuse for an increased workload.

And if the site manager were telling me it's my job to do "X", my response would be "why?". With a hint of "dear cow-orker, you are not my boss".

---

For small jobs, we'll do it.
    For jobs where the potential for fouling up is high (running data near a/c lines for the server room) we'll do it/that part.

But I've done it for years and since I have to support the results of the cabling jobs, we ensure it's done well (to OCD levels).

For big jobs and fibre it gets contracted out

Thank Post
    I think for a start you'll need a H&S assesment (Health and Safety), your using a ladder so you'll need your working at heights checked and ticked off by H&S - IF you have an accident regarding anything your doing outside of what your trained to do/ whats in your JD your employers are in for the high jump!! It's certainly not DIY. This kind of work is ALWAYS contracted here, we have a single company that does all of our cabling network or otherwise. It's ok drilling a hole, but if you drill through a pipe, electric feed or a support for the building someone is going to get seriously hurt.

My advice would be steer well clear and advise your boss you'll find a contractor (if needs really must).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    You have been employed as a network manager not a data cable engineer, there is a subtle difference, now if the school want to send you on a data engineering course for cabling and fixings that is a different matter.

Stand your ground on this as they will then expect you to do other things which you have not been trained to do.

Teachers wouldn't think twice of doing anything outside their remit if they hadn't had the appropriate training first.

Its all about H&S and this could be construed as dangerous if not completed correctly.

Good Luck

Thank Post
    The same here, short runs done by us, anything else done via our electrical contractors. As someone else above says, try to be flexible and even work with the site team on this and pick up some transferrable skills!

Thank Post
    basically i do most things, including puting up projectors, but if there is more than a couple of lines to go in/anywhere awkward needs cabling, we have a company who come in and do it simply because it is cheaper to get them to do it, especially if some fibre is involved. Also if drilling lots of holes/confined space access/working height is involved you may need someone to finger if a utility gets hit or someone gets hurt.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 26th June 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    You have been employed as a network manager not a data cable engineer, there is a subtle difference, now if the school want to send you on a data engineering course for cabling and fixings that is a different matter.

Stand your ground on this as they will then expect you to do other things which you have not been trained to do.

Teachers wouldn't think twice of doing anything outside their remit if they hadn't had the appropriate training first.

Its all about H&S and this could be construed as dangerous if not completed correctly.

Good Luck
    I'd agree with this.

If a projector comes crashing down on somebody's head as it was not properly installed, for example, it could get messy. The same thing could happen if you paid a contractor to do it (and may be more likely to happen based on some of the pics on here!) but at least you go and have a backside to kick if it does happen.

Cabling I suppose is less dangerous, but, you start with cabling and then it'll be something else next week. If you aren't confident or comfortable then speak out.

Thank Post
    i do cabling if its just a couple of points, ive got boxes of cable and its alot cheaper than getting someone in to run one cable 10m! My limit is 15cables in one place anymore than that and i get professionals in.

In the last year ive put up 3 cabinets and ran about 40 network points.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12