+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Why VOIP? in Technical; Not sure if they are compatible but Yealink phones are brilliant! I configured 76 phones with 10 mins of work ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Not sure if they are compatible but Yealink phones are brilliant! I configured 76 phones with 10 mins of work and customizeable screens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ok so looks like we will be going down the voip in the very near future.

so what is everyone using as their PBX?

Is anyone using Lync as their actual PBX?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FreePBX for the office.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    FreePBX for the office.
    Yup i setup this for my last place worked a treat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    how is it using a free / opensource solution?

How many manhours did it take to configure / whats the ongoing maintenance / /reconfiguration requirements?

We need an enterprise grade solution that im not sure an opensource solution would provide withouth paying for massive levels of support. ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Took about a day to get right. 10% doing the install and system setup, 10% was getting the polycom desk phones configured, the remaining 80% of that was setting up phone extensions and CallerID stuff because people didn't know what they wanted.

I have to go change callerids and phone numbers about once a week because someones moved desk or whatever.

I do know asterisk based systems very well, without that background knowledge I'd guess it'd take you about a week to get a system right. Maybe longer if you had SIP desk phones or an ISDN card to setup too. But the vast majority of the setup is basic data entry and config work. Basically out of the box you get a working Office PBX with very little effort.

Also remember you can just throw it on a VM and play about.
    Last edited by Geoff; 6th July 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    how is it using a free / opensource solution?

How many manhours did it take to configure / whats the ongoing maintenance / /reconfiguration requirements?

We need an enterprise grade solution that im not sure an opensource solution would provide withouth paying for massive levels of support. ?
    Took me about 4/5 of hours for the initial config to learn it and then there was always the tweaks after and setting up extensions but that can all be done via spreadsheets and bulk import - as i just setup using what i thought would be good and SLT had other ideas!

Ongoing maintenance apart from the hardware it runs on - not much - reconfig requirements is only what people want changed

We used Yealink T28p's setup VIA TFTP (on its own vlan) so each phone is configured on boot if it needs be. Using SIP outbound the whole system for about 90 handsets was 5k but I had the hardware to run it on (old HP DL120 or DL160 can't remember).

the yealink devices had there mac address on the side as a barcode and scanned them to excel spreadsheet and used a mail merge to individual files for the configs for each phone then a script to change *.txt to be *.xml so it renamed them all copied to TFTP server and plugged a phone into vlan it looked at the TFTP server and configured itself.

Getting the SIP config right was also a little bit of a pain but that was because we where sending the wrong headers - once we had that sussed it worked a treat. and the good thing about sip is you can get say 10 trunks from different suppliers - should one go down you can still call out from the others.
    Last edited by glennda; 6th July 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post
    I am using a Cisco Call Manager 7.x twin node cluster with one server at one site and the other server on the other site connected by a 1GB wan link ( connect the two networks ). A voice router at each site, although at the second site it's just for backup and all calls go through the ISDN30 at the main site.

Cisco Unity Connection 7 does the Voicemail and we have a mix of 7911/7940 handsets.

At my other job we use a Samsung 7300 and it's a fraction of the price but not as nice..

A lot of systems can be retro fitted with voip, the Samsug DCS I belive can be enabled and the Siemens Hicoms can have line cards replaced by voip processors.

We went to voip partly for the cross site need and also because 2 Hicoms we 10+ years old and would have to be ripped out and then re-installed in new buildings which would have been a costly job on hardware that probably only had 2-3 years life in it.

The other big advantage of IP systems is the expandability. Analoug/Digital systems require costly line cards.

Rob

Thank Post
    If anyone has any Samsung voice requirements then drop me a PM, the company I am workig part time for has just invested in another small but skilled Samsung Voice company. You never know I may get sent out on the road...

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12