+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Is this good backup practice? in Technical; Originally Posted by glennda Intel VS AMD - personally in the Intel camp but then there is just as many ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Intel VS AMD - personally in the Intel camp but then there is just as many in the other camp!

For your scenario I would personally.
    1 x Decent spec server with enough local SAS storage to provide all your VM's something along on the lines of a DL380 32Gb Ram 1 6 core Xeon. Scrap using your P3 as it will probably just cause more of a headache later on even as a backup DC.
    1 x Large Nas Device for Backups - RAID 5 is fine for backups and Raid 6 for VM host.
    1 x Host for backups - Entry range server possibly look at second hand to reduce costs. <- run this as a DC if you want a physical DC.

ISCSI from the Backup Server to the Nas device and run live backups and replicas to the Nas device.

What we do for our clients here is actually host a DC for them offsite connected via a VPN back to the main site for AD replication. So you could possibly look at companys that will provide you a system like that. We also have facilities to restore full VM's in the event of a customers offices going out of action.
    So far thanks to everyone with the help, i'm the only I.T guy here so its hard not having someone to bounce ideas off!

I feel as if i'm getting somewhere now, i originally had a HP DL380 on the list, instead of 2 CPU's i'll stick with the 1 Xeon 5620. My user files are currently 200GB, so to allow for VM's, Windows Installs and extra, i think 1TB of usable RAID 1 SAS storage should do me on that front. 32GB RAM so that each of the 3 VM's can have 8GB and the host 8GB.

I'll go for a HP DL120 (unless i can find anything cheaper or 2nd hand) for my backup server, running Veeam but also acting as a 2nd DC. I'll check Veeam specs but i imagine i could get away with 4GB ram in this and then i think i might just keep it simple, forget the NAS and just slap in 1.5TB of usable RAID1 SATA hard drives and then just copy an end of week and monthly backup to 2 USB Hard drives (hoping Veeam can make that simple) i'm assuming SATA drives will work out cheaper than a NAS anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Sata drives are fine for the backup server. Personally I would look at 600Gb Sas drives for the main server 3 in Raid 5 rather then 2 in Raid 1. It will give you just over 1TB in usable storage.

Veeam will run off 4GB ram easily. I have it running off 2GB on my test bed (its a VM).

Again for backups I wouldn't bother with Raid 1 (more wasted drives). I would also if having 1TB useable on the front end double it at least for the backend. HP 2 TB sata drives x 3 in raid 5 will give you 4 TB's which should be plenty!

Thank Post
    I was settled on RAID 5 until today when someone insisted RAID 1 would just as suitable.. sooo thats someting to mull over.

1 Final question is, im looking at a sizeable outlay for the backup server if i do it this way and there is a chance there wont be the budget there for it. Is there any other more cost effective alternative anyone can suggest for running a backup that i could maybe use as a fall back?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCan View Post
    I was settled on RAID 5 until today when someone insisted RAID 1 would just as suitable.. sooo thats someting to mull over.

1 Final question is, im looking at a sizeable outlay for the backup server if i do it this way and there is a chance there wont be the budget there for it. Is there any other more cost effective alternative anyone can suggest for running a backup that i could maybe use as a fall back?

Well you could possibly run veeam as a vm with some kind of scsi pass through straight to tape but i've never tried it and probably never will!

Thank Post
    Just seen that the HP DL120 only supports RAID 0 1 and 10. so could i get away with 1 or 10 (not too familiar with 10) or do i buy a RAID controller do you think?

Thank Post
    Veeam is more CPU heavy than RAM, 2-4GB will do. Running VMs from backup is quite IO heavy so I'd go for a set of local SATA drives

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12