+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Virtualbox + image for programming classes in Technical; Can you just try it like this: Code: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxsdl.exe" -vm "My Python" Friendly name ofc If it's still not ...

Thank Post
    Can you just try it like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxsdl.exe" -vm "My Python"
    Friendly name ofc

If it's still not loading it's more likely something else wrong.

Steve

Thank Post
    Yea that just pops up the vboxsdl cmd box and then closes as well. Does the vm image have to be stored in the virtualbox folder?

Thank Post
    Nope, you can run it from a shared drive if you want. You just need to use the whole filepath if you have it somewhere different. (or change the default save/image location so you don't need to bother with faff )

Steve

Thank Post
    Seems It gives the following error when it stays on the screen SDL Error: 'DirectInputDevice::SetDataFormat: Invalid parameters'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've gone down a different route which is pretty bulletproof (has to be, mandatory profiles). Shortcut to run it runs a batch file containing the following:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" registervm "C:\VM\Programming\Programming.vbox"

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages remindAboutAutoCapture,remindAboutMouseIntegrationOn,showRuntimeError.warning.HostAudioNotResponding,remindAboutGoingSeamless,remindAboutInputCapture,remindAboutGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegrationOff,confirmGoingSeamless,confirmInputCapture,remindAboutPausedVMInput,confirmVMReset,confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutWrongColorDepth

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata global GUI/RestrictedGlobalSettingsPages General,Input,Update,Language,Display,Network,Extensions,Proxy

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VM\Programming\Programming.vbox" GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMenus Machine,View,Devices,Help,Debug

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VM\Programming\Programming.vbox" GUI/RestrictedStatusBarIndicators HardDisks,OpticalDisks,FloppyDisks,Network,USB,SharedFolders,Features,Mouse,Keyboard

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VM\Programming\Programming.vbox" GUI/RestrictedCloseActions SaveState,PowerOff,Restore

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" startvm "C:\VM\Programming\Programming.vbox"
    First bit registers the VM with the installation of Virtual Box. All lines up until "startvm" limit what can and can't be seen by the end user (ie nothing). Last bit, obviously, starts it.

6. 5 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Divaldo (31st March 2014), jbailey (15th January 2014), kevrage (28th February 2014), madurham (16th April 2014), victory2012 (17th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi

That worked a treat I can nor run the VM from the shortcut. How are other people storing the VM? are you putting it locally on each PC or are you putting it into a shared area?

Regards

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mine is copied to each PC. It's only 7gb (windows 7 x86 "lite") with all the relevant stuff installed.

Thank Post
    Only problem now is we are on a cc4 network and we have access to CMD blocked for all pupils so pupils cannot run the batchfile to access the software.

Thank Post
    How did you get past the batch file being blocked synaesthesia? I have added the file to be allowed under software restrictions but it has not made a difference

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're on a vanilla network therefore we can control such permissions easier. The batch file however is no different in CC4's eyes to any other executable file - if you can't get software restrictions to work with it, then try copying it all into a folder within Program Files. That's usually sufficient to make CC4 sit up and beg.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Nice easy one, just finished doing ours.
    Look up the shared folders option - we have ours set to the home drive. Networking is disabled apart from "host only network" for that to work.
    And yeah, keep it on the C: drive unless you have another drive specifically for the VM.

If you want to push out Virtual Box by MSI (GPO, SCCM etc) then you'll need to install the certificate so the drivers will install without intervention - if you need that, give me a poke. I've just finished packaging the VM itself too (we used a stripped down version of Windows 7 - the image is 10GB including Netbeans, Notepad++, all windows updates, .net framework 4.5, Python etc)
    Morning,

Been tasked with this and getting a 1604 MSI failure when pushing Virtualbox out. Guess it's down to the unsigned drivers. Any chance you could give me a couple pointers how you managed to get round that issues @synaesthesia? Huge thanks!

Gaz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The certificate is within a cabinet file, within the MSI - send that out to your clients via GPO. I'll inbox you the certificate to save time.

Import it via GPO> computer policies, windows settings, security settings, Public Key Policies, Trusted Publishers Certificates
    Push that out first, then try the package again.

14. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

FragglePete (3rd February 2014), gumbygaz (17th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Wahey! Worked first time, damn simple in the end! Didn't know it was lurking in the cab file. Huge thanks for that - owe ya one!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No worries

Thank Post
    Thanks to the useful tips from you guys, I have got VirtualBox set up and ready for our forthcoming computing/programming classes.

The only problem I'm having at our place, is that we don't allow students to run batch files, vbs or the command prompt (which is one of the reasons for the unrestricted virtual session). With that in mind, do any of you have any tips on how to allow students to actually launch VirtualBox? I don't want them to be able to run the VirtualBox Manager or alter any of the settings so I like the method of launching it via vboxmanage.exe with all the restrictions in place.

I'm currently launching it from the following batch file which works really well for the teachers who do have access to the command prompt:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" registervm "C:\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualPC.vbox"

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualPC.vbox" GUI/SuppressMessages remindAboutAutoCapture,remindAboutMouseIntegration On,showRuntimeError.warning.HostAudioNotResponding ,remindAboutGoingSeamless,remindAboutInputCapture, remindAboutGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegra tionOff,confirmGoingSeamless,confirmInputCapture,r emindAboutPausedVMInput,confirmVMReset,confirmGoin gFullscreen,remindAboutWrongColorDepth

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata global GUI/RestrictedGlobalSettingsPages General,Input,Update,Language,Display,Network,Exte nsions,Proxy

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualPC.vbox" GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMenus Machine,View,Devices,Help,Debug

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualPC.vbox" GUI/RestrictedStatusBarIndicators HardDisks,OpticalDisks,FloppyDisks,Network,USB,Sha redFolders,Features,Mouse,Keyboard,VideoCapture

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" setextradata "C:\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualPC.vbox" GUI/RestrictedCloseActions SaveState,PowerOff,Restore

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" startvm "C:\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualPC.vbox"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast