+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, DHCP Setup Please Help in Technical; Alrighty here it goes I just started a new job in IT which I love but Im a beginner. Forgive ...

Thank Post

DHCP Setup Please Help

Alrighty here it goes

I just started a new job in IT which I love but Im a beginner. Forgive me.

So far what Ive got is:

A cable modem connected to a wireless router. The router is connected to my server through one Nic card and then my second nic card on the server I have connected to my switch. I have two other machines connected to the switch. My boss at work said to make the nic connected to my router public and my nic connected to the switch private. How do I do that? I dont understand the ip configurations that I need to make. He said that when I configure DHCP on the server make one nic private and give it an ip of 10.1.1.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and then make the other nic public and allow it to get an IP threw DHCP. This will act as a firewall. He also said that when I configure the DHCP on the server that I would have to assign the router and address of 10.1.1.1 and the name server an address of 10.1.1.1 and then activate the scope. He went off on a tangent about natting inorder to get my xp pro stations an internet connection. How do I do that? Also do I have to configure the IP settings on the XP pro systems to anything other than obtain from DHCP? My xp pro systems are still receiving a static address. They time out going to the server. I think its cause their not directed right. This is just the beginning. Any help I could get would be really appreciative by forum or messenger. Let me know if anyones up to the challenge cause it will be just that. I really want to become familiar with this stuff and the only way I can do that is to trip threw it. Thanks in advance.

Thank Post

Re: DHCP Setup Please Help

Sounds to me like you ought to be asking these questions to your boss.

"He said that when I configure DHCP on the server make one nic private and give it an ip of 10.1.1.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and then make the other nic public and allow it to get an IP threw DHCP."

As I understand things (and I've only ever tinkered with things other people have set up), AND assuming you are using Windows (which you haven't stated) in Control panel > Network Connections both NICs will appear (and any other network devices you have installed) Right Click > Properties, scroll down the list of "This connection uses the following items" to find TCP/IP, select and click the properties button.

For the NIC connected to the router, choose Obtain IP address automatically, for the NIC connected to the LAN, choose Use the following IP address and fill in the boxes.

Then you need to set up DHCP to issue IP addresses to the client machines.

Disclaimer:
    This may not be what you need and I may have missed some steps.

Thank Post

This sort of thing bugs me: "Nic card".

NIC stands for Network Interface Card, so you have written Network Interface Card card.

Similiarly annoying is people who say PIN number.

(Ignore me I'm just a grumpy old bugger this morning.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

Your Boss said "This will act as a firewall."

Get yourself a tin foil hat.

Ben

Thank Post

Thanks....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread