+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Manage user email access... in Technical; In sept (under BSF ) we are blocking all e-maill access (GMail, Yahoo, MSN and the rest) for all students ...
    Thank Post

Manage user email access...

In sept (under BSF) we are blocking all e-maill access (GMail, Yahoo, MSN and the rest) for all students and staff except the 'LEA email accounts, such as 'surname.firstname@school.lea.sch.uk', this will help us track the students better and cut down on cyber bullying etc, however!

We did a trial and just blocked MSN (email, not messenger as that is already blocked) and within 2 mins the whole of the senior management team were on the phone, putting complaints to the LEA and going totally off it.

So if we cannot even get the backing of the management on this matter, how are we meant to get the teaching and students to do it?!?!

We explained to the management the reason behind this and there response was 'everyone has my MSN address, and we cannot be bothered to change it', we suggested them sending a mass email to their address book with there new address, however, still no go.

Just for reference, is anyone aware of a way to get the likes of MSN to forward mail onto other email addresses, I feel this could be an option: twisted:

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank Post

Re: Manage user email access...

Is it via the web-based email? If so, can you not just block those sites for the students and leave it open for staff (essentially what we have)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Is it via the web-based email? If so, can you not just block those sites for the students and leave it open for staff (essentially what we have)
    We could, but all internet access goes across the same scope on the proxy and the 'LEA' want all email accounts blocked as under BSF, we are effectivly the LEA, we are no longer 'The schools Network Team', in affect!

Thank Post

Yeah, all our internet access goes via the same LEA proxy, we just stuck an ISA server in and had the staff group policy give them the LEA proxy direct for internet access, and the student group policy give them our ISA server before going out to the LEA proxy

That way we are able to control student access to sites seperately to the staffs whilst both are essentially using the same LEA access.

Having said that, if the LEA is telling you to block it for everyone, thats a touch more awkward. Always iffy going against the LEA !

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Yeah, all our internet access goes via the same LEA proxy, we just stuck an ISA server in and had the staff group policy give them the LEA proxy direct for internet access, and the student group policy give them our ISA server before going out to the LEA proxy )

That way we are able to control student access to sites seperately to the staffs whilst both are essentially using the same LEA access.

Having said that, if the LEA is telling you to block it for everyone, thats a touch more awkward. Always iffy going against the LEA !
    Especially when your contracted by them under BSF as they won our contract as appose to a third party company.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Especially when your contracted by them under BSF as they won our contract as appose to a third party company.
    Newcastle - the only LEA in the country to win a successful in-house BSF bid IIRC

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Newcastle - the only LEA in the country to win a successful in-house BSF bid IIRC
    Thats the one, it was a bit touch and go for a bit, but, the relief aftewards when we won. It is much better than it was before like and better than it would have been with a 3rd party from what i have heard else where etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Sorry to change the subject, however, I am interested to know how its going -delivering the specified ICT service to your school. Is there any difference to how the service was delivered prior to the inhouse bid? in your opinion, why do you think it's better the LEA deliver the service than a 3rd party, after all it would have been the same contract and PfS have previously stated they discourage in-house bids. Is the contract being upheld to the letter?

As far as the email thing - I guess you either follow your employers instruction and block it all, or listen to your customers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Sorry to change the subject, however, I am interested to know how its going -delivering the specified ICT service to your school. Is there any difference to how the service was delivered prior to the inhouse bid? in your opinion, why do you think it's better the LEA deliver the service than a 3rd party, after all it would have been the same contract and PfS have previously stated they discourage in-house bids. Is the contract being upheld to the letter?

As far as the email thing - I guess you either follow your employers instruction and block it all, or listen to your customers.
    I personally would rather block it all, it would save so much hassle as recently we have had threats of cyber bullying an even online predators, although I am not the students biggest fan, I am there as part of my contract to protect them the best way I can and know how to, so...there getting blocked!.

Cybernerd - With regards to BSF, in my opinion it has improved massively, I have gone through 3 network managers at my campus over the past 5 years so I kinda consider myself to have some experience in different working practices. Officially BSF hasn't kicked in financially until Sept (Probably Christmas at this rate); however changes are starting to take affect very quickly. Such as, we now have procedures on site (where the staff actually abide to!), teachers and students are beginning to show ICT support staff more respect now (just beginning mind) and management are starting to get the idea of that they do have to invest in IT, given out yearly budget was no more that £2000, we on average, spend that per month now.

Everyone in my current team were drafted in fresh (except me) due to the state of the place, for example we were running Server NT4, where all the permissions were knacked (not my job at the time of setting up), the new team were drafted in directly from the LEA, so a few asses got kicked along the way (not mine though!)

I hope that’s a good enough overview for you, if you have any more questions just PM, ideally more specific ones though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have strict school only email enforced by the LEA. Sounds like the problem is with the change - not with what is actually hapenning. SMT want to work it out for themselves; would you rather have a business email address using a proffessional, personal address and domain, or some freebie that says nothing about your institution or your proffesional standing within it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    We have strict school only email enforced by the LEA. Sounds like the problem is with the change - not with what is actually hapenning. SMT want to work it out for themselves; would you rather have a business email address using a proffessional, personal address and domain, or some freebie that says nothing about your institution or your proffesional standing within it.
    I personnaly feel the LEA email accounts offer a more 'Professional Courtesy' approach, such as when the management are emailing employers in order to organise placements, universitys to organise students visiting etc.

If i received an email from two different schools, one with an MSN acount and another with a LEA account, and they were both asking for something, i would go with the LEA account for sure. Simply because frome experience, exployers require proof of ID via a LEA email address in order to confirm that you are who you say you are.

Thank Post

If the BSF have said to block it why worry? When Senior Management complain you know who to blame. Them.

As for blocking Hotmail and such, I'm not a big for of it. We've not had any serious cases of misuse, and if they were going to bully using it they'd do it out of school anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread