+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Online Backup Recommendations in Technical; I'm looking at using online backup for a new build primary school. I'm reluctant to buy specific hardware/software when there ...

Thank Post

Online Backup Recommendations

I'm looking at using online backup for a new build primary school. I'm reluctant to buy specific hardware/software when there will only be a small amount of data initially (few staff and pupils) so thought online backup solutions might work out more cost effective.

I have heard of Gigasoft and Redstor (but haven't contacted them yet) from reading other posts on here. Can anyone give recommendations from their own experiences (PM if necessary)?

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @djones:

Why not create online user accounts say with Microsoft skydrive thus having access to their documents 24/7 365 anywhere in the world and therefore not having to back them up if as you say it will be a small amount of data. Plus its free

Just a thought

Thank Post
    Yeah, I had thought of this along with the possibility of using Google Docs/Email etc and storage with that but thinking longer term as well. As I say, I haven't really looked at this in great detail yet just trying to gather ideas and recommendations of people/companies to talk to. We have quotes for equipment already including the standard hard/software solutions and I'd like to be able to have a different approach to weigh in the balance seeing as we wouldn't potentially be using the full capacity, certainly in the short term. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    What internet speed is the primary going to have? is it connected to an RBC - I know some lea's don't like schools using online backups not trying to put a downer on it but remember upload isn't always the same as download speeds on a line with 2Mb upload you will find at best

10GB takes 1 hour 23mins
    50Gb takes just under 7 hours

Just food for thought!

You could perhaps also talk to other primarys and possibly arrange to share a server in the LEA's datacenter to all upload data too - it was one idea which was bounced around here.

EDIT:

I've not used this two but as of next monday I will be working with them (at my new place).
    http://www.databarracks.com/
    http://mozy.co.uk/?ref=0811cfuk&gcli...FeMLtAodEWKAYw
    Last edited by glennda; 22nd April 2012 at 04:52 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm guessing it depends how big a school it will turn out to be, but kind of seems a waste setting up online storage and spending time configuring it etc etc, when for a few hundred you could get a decent raid-ed NAS box, and even if you can't afford something like backup exec, a lot of easy/free backup products/scripts you could use.

Just my two cents,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    With the online solutions as you are backing up to commercial grade high availability hardware in data centres with protection plus it's offsite as well.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    With the online solutions as you are backing up to commercial grade high availability hardware in data centres with protection plus it's offsite as well.

Ben
    Sure, but it's not just reliability in terms of hardware. Get a net problem, then where do you backup to? or restore from? Same old arguement for buying office 365 etc, vs buying "office".

I'm also assuming things like SIMS/FMS blahblah will have to be backed up manually anyway to give clean restores.

Just my two cents anyway Benefits to both ways.

Steve

Thank Post
    I guess I was just hoping it would be a fairly straight forward alternative! I'm not sure what connection the school will have yet - everything seems a tad vague at present! There is money available, it is just that it seems a waste to have the capacity and not use it. Maybe I am thinking the wrong way around! Perhaps it would make more sense to buy a second server and put MS DPM on it - but then I'd still have to factor in offsite backup which is another reason for me looking at the online solutions.

Thank Post
    WE have an arrangement with another school where they have our large hard external hard drive attached to one of their servers ... We also have their large hard drive at our school. We use logmeinbackup to backup each others files .. cost one large hard drive plus £28.00 PA each for the licence. The initial backup was done locally and the hard drives then transported to the hosting school ....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Get a net problem, then where do you backup to? or restore from?
    If the internet was down, I'd hope it would only be for a day max and I'd hope we'd be able to cope missing a day of backups (assuming the incremental changes are all that are backup up each night). If disaster should strike during that same day, I would seriously doubt we'd have been able to restore fully in a day even with a working internet connection.

I'm also assuming things like SIMS/FMS blahblah will have to be backed up manually anyway to give clean restores.
    Unless it is run in a hosted environment where backups are taken care off separately (I have no idea about this bit yet either!). In this case, without a working internet connection, the backups of pupil files, etc would be a lower priority anyway.

Just my two cents anyway

Steve
    Much appreciated from all!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    In an Ideal world I would probably go with having an External HDD/NAS onsite which then replicates itself to the internet - meaning you don't have to worry about restore times for "o I deleted my folder" but have the DR stuff for when the proverbial hits the Fan.

Thank Post
    We use databarracks at our Leeds office. Bit clunky if you want to backup windows AND linux environments. We have a 100 meg symmetric, so don't see any bandwidth problem, we just about scraped by when it had ~2.5Mb up all to itself overnight though. Tech support from them is awesome.

Used Mozy at Smoothwall US when it was just a handful of PCs. Seems to work ok.

Am switching from Mozy to Backblaze at home - quite a bit cheaper for what I need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    WE have an arrangement with another school where they have our large hard external hard drive attached to one of their servers ... We also have their large hard drive at our school. We use logmeinbackup to backup each others files .. cost one large hard drive plus £28.00 PA each for the licence. The initial backup was done locally and the hard drives then transported to the hosting school ....
    That looks interesting. I've read a couple of people on here doing similar. I would have thought that we'd retain some form of separate local storage - even if only for archiving of non-critical data.

Not sure about Hyper-V backups though? I plan on having 2x DCs but not sure how backups of VMs would work using online solutions?

Thank Post
    You could take a look at StoreGrid Cloud which is a great online backup and recovery product which provides storage in the robust Amazon S3 infrastructure.

StoreGrid Cloud offers you incomparable features like protection for physical and virtual environments, instant Bare Metal recoveries, centralized management, retention and archiving plus more - at a very low price, where you actually pay only for what you store.
    There are no per server or fixed Gigabytes charges. Do let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Ambika

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast