+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Teacher wants a mapped drive to access to all our students network folders in Technical; Hi One of our teachers has asked for a mapped drive for their account to access to all our students ...

Thank Post

Teacher wants a mapped drive to access to all our students network folders

Hi

One of our teachers has asked for a mapped drive for their account to access to all our students network shared folders so
    as they can view and mark their work .

My inital thoughts where that i shouldnt do this becuase of Data protection , though I am being told as their files are not personal DP does not count !

Does anyone else do this ?

should this be allowed ?

if not why not ?

Thx
    Last edited by sjpage10; 12th March 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Yup, we do this - but rather than a mapped drive letter I've just put shortcuts to the relevant folders' UNC paths in the staff drive. Don't forget to modify the NTFS permissions on the student folders to give teachers READ ONLY access otherwise that's a whole other can of worms!*

Thank Post
    Take it to the head, It's a data protection issue but they need to discuss their needs with someone who can balance needs with protection. think of some suggestions before you do, A communal area maybe?

4. Thanks to strawberry from:

jdoyle (12th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Both my current school and my last one gave teachers read only access to student work areas.

Thank Post
    Part of our AUP states that staff can view any files stored on personal filestores - the pupils sign this at the beginning of each year and there's a copy online for parents.

Personally, I don't see it as any different to reading what a pupil's written in their excersise book.

7. Thanks to BatchFile from:

SimpleSi (12th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,624 Posts
    The level of access very much depends on the age of the children. In primary it's not unusual for teachers to have read-write access to pupils' folders.

In secondary, exam boards come on the scene and they take a very dim view of teachers having the ability to modify a student's course work. Read only!

Students, through the AUP, should be aware that their home drives are not completely private. As long as SLT have agreed this in writing, I would allow it. Do make sure that SLT have agreed first though. You should never be doing something like this without their agreement and without them having been informed of any risks associated. (e.g. write access and exam boards)

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

jdoyle (12th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Staff here have read only access......

Thank Post
    We give all teachers 'READ ONLY' access, this allows them to assess pupil work but not modify it.

Thank Post
    Thx for the replys

i contacted our local data protection officer who said
    Thank you for your email. My thoughts are that an individual teacher should not be given access. DP Principal 3 states that “Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed” so to give access to all pupils (including the ones that are not taught by the teacher) would not be appropriate.

Principal 6 states that “Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act” and I think that to give access to an area that is password protected by the students would again be inappropriate.

I agree that individual access may be required in order to investigate a security risk etc, but access to all students for marking some is not.

I hope that this is helpful

now one of our deputies has spoken to him and agreed as long as there was no personal data in the folders it would not be an issue

though I am still not sure

however it seems this may be the norm !
    Last edited by sjpage10; 12th March 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Thank Post
    our AUP also states that use of the school computers, network etc is only permitted for schoolwork... so there shouldn't be any personal data in there anyway...

Thank Post
    This is one of the reasons schools have used VLE's in the past so students can submit work and it can be marked online without requiring changes to file access for staff. Another option (as suggested) is to use a shared area for pupils to submit work. Using either method also promotes users to name their files appropriately so the people marking them can identify it without having to open it first, something that is not always done when it is only used by pupils.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpage10 View Post
    Thx for the replys

i contacted our local data protection officer who said

now one of our deputies has spoken to him and agreed as long as there was no personal data in the folders it would not be an issue

though I am still not sure

however it seems this may be the norm !
    Problem with that is that you wouldn't know it was personal until it was too late. I would only access files if I had a reason to, either for a file restore, check for corruption or checking the content (illegal/inapropriate etc) etc but generally all of these would have come through a request NOT because I just wanted to access them.

I personally would always take the side of caution and put a solution in place which would allow the member of staff to do what they need to without providing access to all users data. A shared area would allow you to do this.

Thank Post
    Read only access setup here - again part of the AUP for students that staff may have read access to their work.
    We've also got it in the staff AUP that IT Staff and SMT may access their documents in the event of a disip issue.

We set it up with a 'Pupils Read Access' AD security group - when we add staff to it the NTFS permissions kick into place that allows them access and a security group filtered GPO gets applied that maps a network drive to show them the root of the students folders.

Thank Post
    I would only access files if I had a reason to, either for a file restore, check for corruption or checking the content (illegal/inapropriate etc) etc but generally all of these would have come through a request NOT because I just wanted to access them.
    Same here,

even though we may tell them 'do not store any personal information' you can bet they would

however it does seem that there are a lot who just give full read only access !

I think a general shared area (that they all ready have and use) with a wrk folder should suffice

Thank Post
    To take a slightly different viewpoint, and play devil's advocate a little, depending upon the age of the pupils involved I would consider there to be a potentially bigger duty of care issue if staff can't access pupil filestores. Say they're storing bomb making info or something - the more people that have the potential to find it the better, surely?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast