+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Live@Edu Display Picture Sync? in Technical; Hi, Is it possible to sync photos from sims.net and set it as the display pictures for live@edu? Or any ...

Thank Post

Live@Edu Display Picture Sync?

Hi,

Is it possible to sync photos from sims.net and set it as the display pictures for live@edu? Or any kind of import.
    If that's not possible is there a way to set the same display picture for all users? ( e.g school logo )

Thanks

Thank Post
    bump, anyone know?
    Whilst I'm at it as well. is it possible to remove themes? We have our own theme setup but users can still change to the default Microsoft ones. Can these be removed some how?

Thank Post
    There hasn't been time for much 'community' experience to take hold: Sender Photo is part of the Service Update that hasn't been applied to all tenancies yet e.g. I saw my very first tenancy with that 14.16 update apparently done yesterday, and there's a definite hole where the documentation for some new features should sit.

Don't know about themes coz I think forcing themes on folk is way-OTT control-freak stuff and I'd be :: if a less than 100% perfect school wasted time on doing that to a mail account for Sprogette as opposed to giving her a decent education.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    There hasn't been time for much 'community' experience to take hold: Sender Photo is part of the Service Update that hasn't been applied to all tenancies yet e.g. I saw my very first tenancy with that 14.16 update apparently done yesterday, and there's a definite hole where the documentation for some new features should sit.

Don't know about themes coz I think forcing themes on folk is way-OTT control-freak stuff and I'd be :: if a less than 100% perfect school wasted time on doing that to a mail account for Sprogette as opposed to giving her a decent education.
    Thanks. So this is a new update or something? Not been using live@edu for long so I just thought the display picture had always been there. Can I read bout this 14.16 update some where?
    As for forcing themes. I can see where your coming from, but when you spend the time and effort to personalize a theme with school branding etc it's nice to be able make users use that. Just like a desktop back ground on a computer. Alot of places create a school background and dont allow users to change it because it looks more professional etc. Also students having the option to change themes causes distractions in lessons here Kids like to fiddle !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    Thanks. So this is a new update or something?
    Yes, it's part of the December 2011 update.. which had been renamed to the January 2012 update by the time a notification was sent to a tenancy where I'm a contact, and was arguably a March 2012 update. Here's a blog post with the most info on Sender Photo that I've seen so far. Otherwise there's a December 2011 post or two in the Admin forum on outlookliveanswers.com.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Is it possible to sync photos from sims.net and set it as the display pictures for live@edu? Or any kind of import.
    If that's not possible is there a way to set the same display picture for all users? ( e.g school logo )

Thanks
    Yes, if you use Dirsync to update live/office365 accounts all you do is populate local AD with photos in "thumbnailPhoto" attribute for each user. To get photos out of sims you could use salamandasoft's free tool "Sims.Net Photo Extractor". http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk/utilities.html
    Then if you have all of the admission numbers in AD, you can script it to take photo files and update AD user thumbnailPhoto.

I have a script for the thumbnailPhoto update in vb, I will try and dig it out. But we also put admission numbers in AD when making new users...

Thank Post
    Thanks all. I will have a read and try to understand it ( bit confused at the moment and unsure how to do it at the moment )
    If you can share the script that would be most appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MicrodigitUK View Post
    Yes, if you use Dirsync to update live/office365 accounts all you do is populate local AD with photos in "thumbnailPhoto" attribute for each user. To get photos out of sims you could use salamandasoft's free tool "Sims.Net Photo Extractor". SalamanderSoft Limited - Free Utilities
    Then if you have all of the admission numbers in AD, you can script it to take photo files and update AD user thumbnailPhoto.

I have a script for the thumbnailPhoto update in vb, I will try and dig it out. But we also put admission numbers in AD when making new users...
    What field in AD do you store that info in?

Ben

Thank Post
    ok so I managed to get the thumbnailPhoto atrribute populated by running this command on a test user from the link above.

Import-Module ActiveDirectory;
    $photo = [byte[]](Get-Content “C:\Images\school_logo.jpg” -Encoding byte);
    Set-ADUser –Identity chris.cannon -Replace @{thumbnailPhoto=$photo};
    I dont understand how to configure olsync to sync this to live@edu. Can anyone help with that please?

Thank Post
    @plexer I use "employeeID" to put the admission numbers in AD.
    @ihaveaproblem I'll go get a copy of the vb script now. P.S Sorry I can't help with olsync/dirsync not done it just researched it for my new live@edu setup

Thank Post
    I dont understand how to configure olsync to sync this to live@edu. Can anyone help with that please?
    Do you already have OLSync? If not some folk around here have some decent experience on installing and using (it's not trivial to sort out).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Do you already have OLSync? If not some folk around here have some decent experience on installing and using (it's not trivial to sort out).
    Yep, already have olsync setup to create accounts and sync passwords from AD. Just dont understand how to configure olsync to also sync the thumbnailphoto.

Thank Post
    Well they did volunteer and haven't posted screenshots yet, so you could try asking the folk at the other end of that 'Contact Us' e-mail at the bottom of the blog post: (There is a little bit more to it, so we’ll update this post when we have some screenshots. In the meantime, you can Contact Us for additional information. ).

Thank Post
    see the VB script i use to update photos in AD.

SIMSPhotostoAD.vbs

Thank Post
    @ihaveaproblem Any news? Did you get the test image into live@edu using Olsync?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast