+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Online PE record keeping system in Technical; Hi all - this is my first post in a forum so please excuse my amateur approach, but I need ...
    Thank Post

Online PE record keeping system

Hi all - this is my first post in a forum so please excuse my amateur approach, but I need help!

A teacher has asked me (as the IT Technician) to create an online database of some sort, which will allow students who study years 7-9 Physical Education to update self-assessed records of their personal sporting achievments. Ideally he would like it to be as easy as possible for the kids to use, as they will need to add data a few times a year over the course of a couple of years. We also need to ensure that the students cannot see/edit each others data (which rules out a collabarative spreadsheet).

We are running a Sharepoint (services 2003) VLE and it would be really handy to develop a solution in conjunction with this, as it would integrate AD logins etc. and make authentication a whole lot easier.

In a perfect world, a student would login to the VLE, go to a form, enter their data, click submit and it would be added on to their individual record (which only they and their teacher could see). The teacher would then recieve an automated alert telling them who has/hasn't completed their records and he/see could also see a summary of all records.

I'd really appreciate some help/ideas with this! Can it be done?

Thanks,

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powert View Post
    In a perfect world, a student would login to the VLE, go to a form, enter their data, click submit and it would be added on to their individual record (which only they and their teacher could see). The teacher would then recieve an automated alert telling them who has/hasn't completed their records and he/see could also see a summary of all records.
    It sounds like a simple enough database application. Can you give some examples of the kind of data you want pupils to input? After they've put the data in, what analysis of it should they be able to see - a graph showing their progress against the rest of the class / year group / national average? How do you stop pupils putting false data in - does the PE teacher need to check it? Is there to be some facility for inputting data with a tablet computer or similar out on the field? What VLE are you using?

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

powert (7th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powert View Post
    Hi all - this is my first post in a forum so please excuse my amateur approach, but I need help!

A teacher has asked me (as the IT Technician) to create an online database of some sort, which will allow students who study years 7-9 Physical Education to update self-assessed records of their personal sporting achievments. Ideally he would like it to be as easy as possible for the kids to use, as they will need to add data a few times a year over the course of a couple of years. We also need to ensure that the students cannot see/edit each others data (which rules out a collabarative spreadsheet).

We are running a Sharepoint (services 2003) VLE and it would be really handy to develop a solution in conjunction with this, as it would integrate AD logins etc. and make authentication a whole lot easier.

I'd really appreciate some help/ideas with this! Can it be done?

Thanks,

Tom
    We've been asked to do similar for PE in sharepoint in the past. I created a list and assigned students permission to add/edit items but not permission to add or modify list views. Assign teachers Design permission.

Modify the All Items public view and filter for [me] on the Created By column. Show teachers how to create personal list views without the filter.

I'd also be inclined to enable content approval where students will be creating the items. If you will be creating a part populated list (with name, year/region group etc) then add a username column and filter on that instead of Created By.

I appreciate there are more secure ways of doing it in sharepoint, but the above can all be done through the web interface.

5. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

powert (7th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi thanks for getting back to me so quickly! The pupils will be entering textual information regarding their strengths in a specific sport and grading their performance using a 4A, 3B, 5C style grading system. There's not a great deal of info for the pupil to enter really. A graph would be great, but it's not a necessity - they just need to be able to see the performance grade and track it over a 3 year period (merely seeing the saved records will suffice). The pupils could put false data in, but as they are self-assessing themselves, it's down to them to grade their own performance - I'm sure the teacher will tell them they've been too generous! On which note, yes the PE teacher will need to check it (at least reivew it once a new record/s has been added). There is no need to include facilites for mobile interaction - just to integrate a solution within our VLE, which is a Sharepoint services 2003 VLE. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Message to 'meastaugh1' - thanks for your ideas. You'll have to forgive my ignorance (I'm not too hot on the ins and outs of all the Sharepoint features), but what did you create a list of?

I had considered using a list (shared documents style) of Excel spreadsheets, is that a way to go?

I really appreciate your contributions - thanks!

Thank Post
    While it would be possible to do as you suggest, I was thinking more along the lines of a custom list with columns for each sport's grade and textual comment, perhaps with a row per student, per year. The potential problems with using spreadsheets in a document library is that the name field has to be unique and teachers will have to open each individual file to review. A custom list will show all student records in the browser or can be exported to spreadsheet.

The other option is to setup a survey.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread