+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Unnecessary printing in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook That might be worth doing a short talk about at a forthcoming meeting ... I've been ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    That might be worth doing a short talk about at a forthcoming meeting ...

I've been a bit of a shambles with regard the NN meetings, it's true.

Thank Post
    Chargeback with a papercut solution does it....

Thank Post
    How do you guys get around the "needs to be done for our job" response? We have Papercut here and while it does help to reduce duplicate documents, I wonder sometimes why we need to print certain things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    How do you guys get around the "needs to be done for our job" response? We have Papercut here and while it does help to reduce duplicate documents, I wonder sometimes why we need to print certain things.
    You need SMT support to get around that. We can't dictate what they need for their job, but SMT can dictate the overall resources production policies.

5. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

cookie_monsta (15th June 2012), HodgeHi (28th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You need SMT support to get around that. We can't dictate what they need for their job, but SMT can dictate the overall resources production policies.
    I agree with @localzuk.

As soon as we got the inspector's call, staff were put on unlimited printing and a load of paper and a full set of new toners put on order! Previously made decision by the HT and Bursar.

Day to day, for odd jobs they have to come and grovel to me. If I think it's getting unreasonable, I'll moan to the SLT... if the staff feel things are unjust, they moan to SLT. The difference is that I usually get my way

My personal gripe is "teachers who can't be bothered to walk to the photocopier" and insist on running off class sets of mono printing on the colour printer. I stamped that out with PMP, but sometimes they can be bothered to create a single document with 30 identical pages.

My view is that networked photocopier/printers (still managed by print management software) are the way forward. I'd double install as both colour and mono with mono as default to encourage more economic printing.

Thank Post
    We took out most network printers and now have a print room with 4 printers in (2 colour, 2 black). We find the Students/Staff only print what they really need to now as they have to WALK to the print room which is the other side of School.
    We have a rotor system where Staff have an hour each in there to sort the prints and put them in form trays (all work must have the student's name and form on or it's recycled)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Senior Management decide to do something about the waste of ink..
    You spend budget you can ill afford to get some software - like Print Manager. You set it up on the system.
    People complain
    You are told to take it off (managing to *leave behind* the banning of internet page printing and the no repeat printing for 1 minute - oops!)
    Bitter, Moi?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    My view is that networked photocopier/printers (still managed by print management software) are the way forward. I'd double install as both colour and mono with mono as default to encourage more economic printing.
    We have networked machines that default to mono but still get through almost as much ink as when we let them print in colour...

Thank Post
    Can you ban printing from web pages using papercut or is that only available in print manager?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Can you ban printing from web pages using papercut or is that only available in print manager?
    Yep, just set up a rule to ban any document with 'http' in the title.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In fact it's wonderfully flexible and helps promote good practice - i.e. can stop you from printing if it has a "default name" like document1.doc untitled.xls etc - forces people to save. It's not all about saving trees! Helps (forcibly) teach people to make proper use of a computer instead of treating them like typewriters. We have it set up also (which is common) to stop people printing the same thing more than 3 times, if they need that, go to reprographics!
    Plus the scripting side of it is so powerful there's little you can't make it do with a bit of creativity. I will echo though, make sure you have the backing of SLT. If they need persuading, show them the last years printing costs.

Thank Post
    We use Print Manager Plus here and all students are allocated £5 per term (£5 per old full term so £15 per year) and staff double that. If the students print more than this we give them more credit and recharge it back to their parents. Teachers overspend comes out of their departmental budget. All colour printers are setup with 2 queues one for B&W and one for colour with B&W being the default printer. We then have all of the SMT and some office staff on unlimited printing, but they are mostly reasonable about what they print. On the whole it works well, and we don't get too much wasted printing and little moaning from staff or students as the system has been in place for a couple of years now. We charge 5p and 15p per A4 sheet - i'd be interested to know how this compares to others who implement print restrictions.

Witch - was the option to disable repeat printing for 1 minute in PMP - I'd not seen that in our version but will be going to have a look for it now !

Thank Post
    I took out the printers from all the classrooms except the nursery and IT suite and put signs on the remaining ones requesting to print no more than two copies of any document whilst I figured out which option to go for with our printing management. complete suprise to me printing reduced by 80% and anything over a couple of pages staff always come and check if its ok to print....its been about a year and its stayed the same I am still in shock, never did put anything in place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12