+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 113
How do you do....it? Thread, School Remote Access - How do you do it? in Technical; Originally Posted by gshaw What clients are your staff running? Does your login process go something like this... - IE ...
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    38
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    What clients are your staff running? Does your login process go something like this...

    - IE only browser support (quelle surprise)
    - login to yourdomain/rdweb
    - have to enter DOMAIN\username format credentials, completely different to OWA where they only need to enter their standard network username (I've edited the login page to add the DOMAIN part)
    - on XP SP3 the ActiveX control is often disabled by the OS so you need a Microsoft FixIt tool to enable it via registry
    - user then sees a list of RemoteApps displayed along with the Remote Desktop icon for a direct session - great
    - but when loading a RemoteApp you get a warning box about the publisher (even with SSL all sorted out) that you have to dismiss
    - if loading the Remote Desktop session you get prompted for credentials a second time (at least in 7 it remembers the username but not with XP). Hotfix is available for 7 but again it's another patch to install.

    If using XP SP3 clients you have to make sure they have RDC 7.0 installed or WebSSO doesn't work and RemoteApp asks for credentials a 2nd time. I also found unless CredSSP is enabled it can be a bit flaky (patch + reboot required)
    I've been asked to set up similar in my new job (they had already bought the CALs).

    I have encountered every single one of those problems which makes the MS solution almost unusable. Shame as it's potentially a great solution.

  2. Thanks to midweek from:

    gshaw (10th February 2012)

  3. #92
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,904
    Thank Post
    954
    Thanked 447 Times in 377 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    92
    Yes it uses TS.

    And install it on 2003 R2 and you don't get most of those problems

  4. #93

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gillingham
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    I have attached a rough picture of what our network is doing with DirectAccess to help people understand what it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #94

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Scott - been reading this whole thread today and intrigued by your secrecy of your method of setting up DirectAccess..care to share the solution? Just a brief overview to satisfy my curiosity more than anything else

  6. #95

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gillingham
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Scott - been reading this whole thread today and intrigued by your secrecy of your method of setting up DirectAccess..care to share the solution? Just a brief overview to satisfy my curiosity more than anything else
    Hi sidewinder,
    Sorry I have just sold the technology to a company.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 11th February 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising link removed

  7. #96

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottLogan View Post
    Hi sidewinder,
    Sorry I have just sold the technology to a company.
    <link removed>
    A company? So you sold it to yourself? Seeing as that website is registered to you. Nah, I'm good thanks. Something fishy about this whole thing
    Last edited by vikpaw; 11th February 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: quoted unauthorised advertising

  8. #97

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,142
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    A company? So you sold it to yourself? Seeing as that website is registered to you. Nah, I'm good thanks. Something fishy about this whole thing
    To add to this, to legally trade in the UK, you must have an address and the proprietor etc... visible on the places of trade, including the website. If its a company, this must be the registered company address, and would include the company number.

  9. #98

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gillingham
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    I own the domain but they have bought rights to use it. I was setting it up as a blog but gave up because its to complicated to write with some many different networks out there. It will eventually fall over to them its just red tape at the moment. This has been setup very quickly to meet the demand and is still in progress. all that information will be put up soon.
    As far as company and stuff i think i might have confused you by my wording. your not buying hardware / software / any special programs etc etc. It is just the knowlegede of how to put everything together. Simply you will if you want it just be paying for a guy to install it. Just the same way a non technical user will ask for an IT guy to pop round and fix their home computer and pay them for it. If they decide to turn it into a company its upto them I am out of the loop now. "It is not compulsory to register a business name but you can do so with the National Business Register"
    I don't understand whats fishy? you think i'ts a con or something? I have been very open about what is going on. Do you think the system doesn't work? Your more than welcome to pop down Gillingham School and have a look. I don't mind showing you a demonstration. I think this is a brilliant piece of kit and would gladdly help other schools see how it will help them. Just send me a PM and we will arrange a time and date. The only reason I posted on here was to let people know it is now possible and to get DirectAccess when orginally it was not.
    The reason i have let it go is because the people now running it have the funds to do so and the time. I'm quite happy with my well paid job and with a 1 year old baby i don't have the guts to leave it and start a project on my own.
    Anyway this is going to be my last post on the subject its nothing to do with me anymore. You can draw your own conclusions but I wouldn't slate a people with out trying them or the software first hand.
    Have a good snowy day everyone

  10. #99

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,142
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottLogan View Post
    I own the domain but they have bought rights to use it. I was setting it up as a blog but gave up because its to complicated to write with some many different networks out there. It will eventually fall over to them its just red tape at the moment. This has been setup very quickly to meet the demand and is still in progress. all that information will be put up soon.
    As far as company and stuff i think i might have confused you by my wording. your not buying hardware / software / any special programs etc etc. It is just the knowlegede of how to put everything together. Simply you will if you want it just be paying for a guy to install it. Just the same way a non technical user will ask for an IT guy to pop round and fix their home computer and pay them for it. If they decide to turn it into a company its upto them I am out of the loop now. "It is not compulsory to register a business name but you can do so with the National Business Register"
    I don't understand whats fishy? you think i'ts a con or something? I have been very open about what is going on. Do you think the system doesn't work? Your more than welcome to pop down Gillingham School and have a look. I don't mind showing you a demonstration. I think this is a brilliant piece of kit and would gladdly help other schools see how it will help them. Just send me a PM and we will arrange a time and date. The only reason I posted on here was to let people know it is now possible and to get DirectAccess when orginally it was not.
    The reason i have let it go is because the people now running it have the funds to do so and the time. I'm quite happy with my well paid job and with a 1 year old baby i don't have the guts to leave it and start a project on my own.
    Anyway this is going to be my last post on the subject its nothing to do with me anymore. You can draw your own conclusions but I wouldn't slate a people with out trying them or the software first hand.
    Have a good snowy day everyone
    The fishiness comes from you coming on here and waxing lyrical about how it can work behind NAS, then saying people should contact you, then suddenly you've sold it to a company who have a domain which is registered in your own name, without any contact details on the site itself as per legally required (specifically, a sole trader is legally required to list the proprietor and an address, a registered company is required to list the registered company address and the company number etc...). Not to mention your 'i'm not going to comment further' is a typical comment used by someone who is not being 100% honest in my experience.

    So, you should understand our trepidation here...

  11. #100
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,702
    Thank Post
    172
    Thanked 224 Times in 207 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by midweek View Post
    I've been asked to set up similar in my new job (they had already bought the CALs).

    I have encountered every single one of those problems which makes the MS solution almost unusable. Shame as it's potentially a great solution.
    Glad I'm not the only one to have experienced it... was beginning to wonder if I was going mad

    Will probably have to do it via an SSL VPN and just provide a link to an RDP session that way, very frustrating as the MS product *should* be spot on but there's some glaring design errors there. It's almost like it was done by a couple of developers in a corner somewhere who never received any direction on the end user experience

  12. #101

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottLogan View Post
    I own the domain but they have bought rights to use it. I was setting it up as a blog but gave up because its to complicated to write with some many different networks out there. It will eventually fall over to them its just red tape at the moment. This has been setup very quickly to meet the demand and is still in progress. all that information will be put up soon.
    As far as company and stuff i think i might have confused you by my wording. your not buying hardware / software / any special programs etc etc. It is just the knowlegede of how to put everything together. Simply you will if you want it just be paying for a guy to install it. Just the same way a non technical user will ask for an IT guy to pop round and fix their home computer and pay them for it. If they decide to turn it into a company its upto them I am out of the loop now. "It is not compulsory to register a business name but you can do so with the National Business Register"
    I don't understand whats fishy? you think i'ts a con or something? I have been very open about what is going on. Do you think the system doesn't work? Your more than welcome to pop down Gillingham School and have a look. I don't mind showing you a demonstration. I think this is a brilliant piece of kit and would gladdly help other schools see how it will help them. Just send me a PM and we will arrange a time and date. The only reason I posted on here was to let people know it is now possible and to get DirectAccess when orginally it was not.
    The reason i have let it go is because the people now running it have the funds to do so and the time. I'm quite happy with my well paid job and with a 1 year old baby i don't have the guts to leave it and start a project on my own.
    Anyway this is going to be my last post on the subject its nothing to do with me anymore. You can draw your own conclusions but I wouldn't slate a people with out trying them or the software first hand.
    Have a good snowy day everyone
    I'm sure your solution works from the amount of posts you have made about it!
    It's just, as localzuk says, in the space of a few days you have gone from seemingly wanting to help people by asking them to pm you to it being sold and suddenly being a chargeable solution...the cynic in me says your contribution in this thread might have just been for the purposes of advertising your solution.

  13. #102
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,702
    Thank Post
    172
    Thanked 224 Times in 207 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Seriously, windows comes with remote desktop web kit. Just install it under roles on the server and people just visit a web page which turns into a fully functioning remote desktop session.

    I don't see why anyone would need anything else to be honest.

    Here is a pic of ours. This is in a web browser, not using anything else.

    Attachment 12899
    How is it secured though, have you got some sort of SSL on there or making connections through VPN?

  14. #103

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gillingham
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I'm sure your solution works from the amount of posts you have made about it!
    It's just, as localzuk says, in the space of a few days you have gone from seemingly wanting to help people by asking them to pm you to it being sold and suddenly being a chargeable solution...the cynic in me says your contribution in this thread might have just been for the purposes of advertising your solution.
    I completly understand where you are comming from.
    But not every one is evil in this world there are still some genuin people out there.
    I have been completly inundated with messages of people wanting help. This has exploded into a situation which I cannot handle. I am happy sat here with the way my life is at the moment. I dont have any spare time to give what is now 100's of schools help with setting this up for their individule network setup. I bearly get enough time with my son at the moment as it is. I don't want a life of doing the same thing day after day I like new problems new things to discover.
    Then I get all the abuse from people on this forum with comments that just ends with answers with me going around in circles because they know nothing about the product, wasting even more of my time and being unhelpful to other readers.
    Basically I have gotton fed up of the whole thing and decided someone else can take it on. I don't need it, I don't want it and you have all made something that was meant to be helpfull for all those people who want it very negative with unhelpful comments. I understand where people are coming from but I have also answered every question.
    another example of a circle in order to answer previous posts "This has been setup very quickly to meet the demand and is still in progress. all that information will be put up soon."
    I'm not having an indivdual go at any particular person i'm just fed up and venting.
    So lets bring this back to basics
    DirectAccess now works behind NAT's, <link removed> If its not for you try something else there are plenty of very useful comments on here that show alternatives.
    If you want to see what else is out there for example try SonicWALL, Inc. - Dynamic Security for the Global Network - United Kingdom
    I am trying to be as fare as possible in my comments and have suggested alternatives and even suggested using more than one product. Just because I am suggesting products doesn't mean I am selling them. There are many post doing the exact same thing here. They are just posts to try and be helpful.
    I am still happy to be a school who demontrates this for anybody its not a problem I am trying my best to be helpful and give everyone the best information.

    On a side note to those people contacting me, yes I will pass your details on and they will contact you soon. There is just alot of details to pass and should get through them all this weekend or soon after. or just go direct.

    sorry i'm just tired and fed up. 2am wake up with kid = long day.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 11th February 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising

  15. #104

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    66
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    OpenVPN to a linux server through the firewall then terminal services from the remote client. Also run a script to map drives if required. Certificates are self certified and each client has their own individual certificate for their connection.

  16. #105
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,904
    Thank Post
    954
    Thanked 447 Times in 377 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    How is it secured though, have you got some sort of SSL on there or making connections through VPN?
    When you say "secured" what do you mean?

    SSL/VPN is pointless in this situation as far as I can tell. Its a remote desktop connection, there is no need to encrypt the data stream.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Netsupport School (how have you set it up?)
    By Halfmad in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30th January 2013, 10:10 AM
  2. Remote Access - How?
    By Zoom7000 in forum Wired Networks
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 1st February 2012, 12:43 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th April 2010, 05:39 PM
  4. 2008 VM size (vs 2003) - how are you handling it?
    By pete in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th June 2009, 12:55 PM
  5. Netsupport school - how have you set it up?
    By Halfmad in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6th June 2007, 09:00 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •