+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, School Remote Access - How do you do it? in Technical; Once you're in the RDP session policy should apply on the Terminal Server session though or am I missing something ...

Thank Post
    Once you're in the RDP session policy should apply on the Terminal Server session though or am I missing something obvious?
    That's right. the rdp session is internal and picks up all updates etc.

The 2 systems openvpn AS and Adito are very very different products. Openvpn AS has a very corporate feel and has many security layers, anything you can do inside your network you can do from home with this. Adito is nice and easy to use from a staff point of view.

Having used both systems I would probably go down the Openvpn AS direction as a general rule but will still be using Adito in a few schools.

Thank Post
    I'm falling in love with Ericom's AccessNow. HTML5 based RDP Client in a browser. Ericom® AccessNow™ - needs Websockets support.
    Does look good. Any idea how much they charge?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Does look good. Any idea how much they charge?
    It's based on concurrent users. Edu-pricing for 100 users was ~£40/user + ~£7/user 12 months upgrades and support when I looked into it. Not cheap, but it is magic. There's a 30 day free trial available from them as well.

Thank Post
    That HTML5 app looks very impressive!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    That HTML5 app looks very impressive!
    Certainly does, however I had to install the Chrome Frame plugin for IE9 and I couldnt get it to connect from the iPad or phone via 3g or wifi "Error Connection Failed verify the Secure Gateway is running and reachable"

Thank Post
    Ericom's AccessNow = Too expensive for my schools when the 2 products I have listed above are basically free

Thank Post
    Ericom's AccessNow = Too expensive for my schools when the 2 products I have listed above are basically free
    Such is true, doesn't mean we can't drool over cool stuff though (even if we can't afford it )

Will most likely have a play with Adito at some point so from that perspective a worthwhile thread!

Thank Post
    Adito windows installer
    Installer « Lars Werner

Openvpn AS
    Virtual Appliance
    Access Server Virtual Appliances

Thank Post
    I dont think anyone here would seriously contemplate it for school use but its good to see that HTML5 and AJAX is being put to good use and it broadens horizons, we have corporate clients that would consider such platforms so its always worth a look see and whilst "free" is good, it doesnt always mean that its the best.
    OpenVPN however isnt actually free is it, it's cheap very cheap and cheap is good! $5 for a perpetual license is value for sure.

10. Thanks to m25man from:

gshaw (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    OpenVPN however isnt actually free is it, it's cheap very cheap and cheap is good! $5 for a perpetual license is value for sure.
    Does depend on the size of your school. I look after primary schools. I just use the 2 free licences and so far nobody has complained that they can not get on because both users are logged in. Might be because they don't do much work from home lol.

So for me and my schools it has been completely free.

Thank Post
    but its good to see that HTML5 and AJAX is being put to good use and it broadens horizons
    Don't really understand the AJAX side of things but I did read that Adito also supports web bassed AJAX RDP. But I doubt it will ever get html5 as its no longer getting updated.

Thank Post
    "directaccess" is THE most user friendly experience. Sonicwall and Netgear both need 3rd party software java activex plugins to be approved and installed (not without issues either) then the user is expected to configure their browser to allow certain access or have the page added to trusted areas. It really is a giant pain for them I love the support on the devices tring to explain what an SSL-VPN tunnel does and why they need it. (just watch the end user glase over and give up)

I was considering purchasing an adsl line in order to demo the "directaccess". It should handle 5 or so connections, I'll configure it to not pass the webtraffic. It'd be nice to use the "Windows Remote Access" with it too.

Thank Post
    Heres a link for people which may find very interesting
    RemoteApp on MAC
    This is how you can use RemoteApp on Mac's
    You should be able to take this further because all you need is a device that supports RDP and it will work. You can use 3rd party RDP software vendors to achive these goals.
    I'm going to test this on my internal macs tommorrow. This will mean from my NAT network i have directaccess for home users who get work stuff at home transparently, Ill setup RemoteApp for sims at home via directaccess and internal mac's so it runs much quicker. And its all built into windows (assuming you have the right versions)
    This then gives me the option to have home users pc's (non domain) capable of running sims (not as transparent but quick). However this is not an option we want to give users here yet as the massive headaces of using random unprotected OS systems and supporting them. This is why VPN software has never been on the cards for us.
    This solution suits us down to the ground and is all running from a 1U server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    With the Open VPN AS server - if i purchased 25 licesnse - is it that only 25 people can use at once? or is it only 25 seperate users?

Thank Post
    With RemoteApp we now have sims .net on our internal macs. all you need is Download: Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2.1.1 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast