+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, School Remote Access - How do you do it? in Technical; Originally Posted by gshaw @ScottLogan, can you explain how this will work for staff using their own kit at home ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    @ScottLogan, can you explain how this will work for staff using their own kit at home where the OS can be anything from XP to Mac OS because as far as I can see it won't...

It's bad enough having products that are Win7 only, let alone specific variants of that. Seems OK if you want to set up PCs in small outcentre offices (might look at it for us on that front) but for home use seems a complete no-go to me.
    Yes you are looking at a VPN solution. You can use DirectAccess along side this to support your windows 7 range and give those users a some what better experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the end, DirectAccess seems to add one feature - that users don't have to initiate anything.

That's it. VPNs use IPSec already, so speed comparisons are not much use there. Spending 8 months setting up a solution compared to spending £4k on a VPN unit seems like a poor trade-off to me.

Thank Post
    one of my Primary schools are looking into this, Including changing 3 new servers (various but typical roles) and moving fully into a Citrix thin client/VDE system with and 25x new terminals and conversion of old laptops x30 is approx £50,000...

I'd of rather seen a VPN connection to enable remote access, which is really what they want BUT that's what happens when a Governor works for IBM
    Last edited by Wolfman; 1st February 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Transparency in working with your network programs is another.
    How long do you think it took the guy to develop the software and hardware for VPN's to work. I didn't happen over night. You are simply buying a product that could of taken years to complete and write the code for.
    The reason it took me 8 months is because i bought the hardware before relising it wouldn't work behind NAT's. 8 months ago i didnt have a clue about what i was getting my self into. I have since then been trying to come up with a solution and have succeded and i am now an expert on it. I can set this up within a day or so now dependant on the complexity of the network.
    VPNs: IPSec vs SSL. Internet Protocol Security vs Secure Sockets Layer. Difference and features of protocols for virtual private networks. Wireless security.
    there is another article about pro's and con's
    Again everyone should come to their own decision on what will work for them. This is not a solution that will fix everything and there is probably no solution out there that will fix everything but it can certainly run along side other solutions to get what you want to achive on your personal network. There are so many different networks and setups it is imposible to come up with one solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,983 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottLogan View Post
    Transparency in working with your network programs is another.
    That's what a VPN does! It connects your device to your network, as if its in the school.

When a user connects on our VPN, they can access their shared drives, access any intranet pages etc... without any intervention. It is as if they plugged into a socket in the school.

I think you're somewhat confusing what a VPN does if you think DirectAccess provides something a VPN doesn't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That's what a VPN does! It connects your device to your network, as if its in the school.

When a user connects on our VPN, they can access their shared drives, access any intranet pages etc... without any intervention. It is as if they plugged into a socket in the school.

I think you're somewhat confusing what a VPN does if you think DirectAccess provides something a VPN doesn't.
    When a user connects on our VPN. Exactly, when a user connects.
    Again if your situation means that your happy doing that then thumbs up you have exactly what you need. But not everyone is like you. And i have made many valid points why this is not always ideal. And not everyone has the means to fork out 4k on that particular piece of software that does your job + training yourself and every user that wants to use it, installing specilised hardware and software in order to achive that goal.
    It's again just all down to your tastes, if you want VPN then get it but have a look at DirectAccess features and see if this will help to.

Thank Post
    Totally agreed. every reason given for using DA can be done using vpn. Even gpo's can be applied and update over vpn.

Thank Post
    UPDATE to my last post.
    And not everyone has the means to fork out 4k on that particular piece of software
    You can do this using FREE vpn software that is for corporate use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    You can do this using FREE vpn software that is for corporate use.
    What free vpn software are we talking about? A vpn solution looks best for us as direct access is too restrictive on the client systems it allows - just need to get some ideas on what is best.

Thank Post
    What free vpn software are we talking about?
    http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/overview.html

Its free for me but if your a large institution you will need to buy additional licences, you get 2 free perpetual licences built in, which actually works fine for about 20 users, and is more than enough for my schools. Its then $5 per perpetual licence.

I also have been playing with adito, which is completely free. Adito is web based but along with mapping drives can also run RDP and remote apps, all from a browser. The user goes to a web page and logs in and they get a list of drives and apps you have granted. Its very very simple for the user to use.

Both systems work on xp, w7, apple, linux

11. 2 Thanks to edutech4schools:

gshaw (1st February 2012), maark (1st February 2012)

Thank Post
    Yes you are looking at a VPN solution. You can use DirectAccess along side this to support your windows 7 range and give those users a some what better experience.
    Unfortunately not as those home users will be running Windows 7 Home Premium

Maybe with organisation owned laptops it could be an option but then I'd rather invest in a device-agnostic remote access solution than have smooth access tied down to a specific set of devices.

MS seem to sell DirectAccess as a solution for branch offices and what with having to install a multihomed server directly facing the Internet I'm not entirely convinced for now...

Adito sounds interesting, especially if it's single entry of credentials and then straight into RDP... better than Microsoft's native RDS solution if it works

Thank Post
    Obviously the web based system (Adito) does not apply gpo's, but if all you need is file access or RDP you don't need that anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Obviously the web based system (Adito) does not apply gpo's, but if all you need is file access or RDP you don't need that anyway.
    Once you're in the RDP session policy should apply on the Terminal Server session though or am I missing something obvious?

Thank Post
    DirectAccess works amasingly well at our school. But it did take me 8 months of hard work and 50 reinstalls to finally figure out how to get around the NAT issue. You do need someone like me with microsoft qualifications to understand how to do it. And once its up and running don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing because once its broke its broke and your looking at a total reinstall.
    Well done and all that, but you've taken 8 months to build a completely unsupported solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Unfortunately not as those home users will be running Windows 7 Home Premium

Maybe with organisation owned laptops it could be an option but then I'd rather invest in a device-agnostic remote access solution than have smooth access tied down to a specific set of devices.
    I'm falling in love with Ericom's AccessNow. HTML5 based RDP Client in a browser. Ericom® AccessNow™ - needs Websockets support.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast