+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, School digital cameras in Technical; We've just purchased a load of digi cameras for the school cus the staff were crying out for them. My ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

School digital cameras

We've just purchased a load of digi cameras for the school cus the staff were crying out for them. My issue is that the reason we had none is because they don't look after them, loosing or breaking them.

I'm aggrieved to give these out for that reason lol. Is there anything I can put on a bit of paper and get them to sign (obviously with the heads go ahead) that I am serious and it will be their responsibility to take care of these cameras? Maybe something similar to an aup and put some guidance on what sort of photos they should be taking?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Won't make any difference because if they break them it won't be followed through with.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

Little-Miss (30th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Eugh, so true..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    I left the administration to the school secretary; she was happy to do it.... And she can be FAR more scary than me.

6. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Well in my old company i always logged the serial number and got the staff to sign a form saying company property etc etc. true a lot of it wasnt followed through but by showing you are doing your due diligence, if anything untoward does happen, ie breakages, theft you have done your part to minimalise it.

8. Thanks to MrWu from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Won't make any difference because if they break them it won't be followed through with.

Ben
    +1 for this, our lot sign for laptops and far too many are lackadaisical caring for them.

10. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

Little-Miss (31st January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    The only thing I did or was allowed to do was to make them sign for the camera they took out. Even then it was a pain for them and now they are back to the original idea which is one camera per year group - kept by the head of that year. Fine by me, I don't have people traipsing in and out of my office and it is not anything to do with me anymore.
    I wanted to amend the AUP and have them all sign it but the head didn't follow through with it.
    As you say, nothing will be done if there is an issue so I would concentrate on trying to palm off the system for giving them out - I'm sure you have enough to do without that

12. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (31st January 2012)

Thank Post
    Before i came there was just the ICT coordinator who had all the items and just gave it out. Now with me here i get them to sign stuff out and i have noticed that they do take care because there name is associated with said item.

As teachers require certain things at times which don't work for me or them, i looked into getting the head of year groups to be responsible for a year group camera etc which is used more commonly. The less common things stick with me and get booked out.

Before giving things out i made sure each room had lockable storage so staff had no excuse and get the head to explain to them at the staff meeting about equipment as well as make them sign for the devices. So far its ok.

Thank Post
    what we do here is make them sign for the items, and in the document they sign reads if you break on loose it you will pay for another out of your own budgets end of.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At my local primary school/Mums work, The librarians handle the digital cameras... You don't mess with a librarian.

16. Thanks to p858snake from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    You don't mess with a librarian.
    OOK OOK!

Thank Post
    we've a mixed bag. I have the "good" camera which we use for events etc. . Some available for book out by AV Tech (sign here, here and here and bring back by....). ICT faculty have a range of cheapish cameras which get used by students in class. Various departments now have their own camera as they've got fed up borrowing the ICT ones or waiting for someone else to return the one they hoped to use. Some staff use their own cameras (not good in my opinion).

Issues arising (all manageable) :

a. photo permissions for students (who does/doesn't have permission and more importantly who has court orders/legal issues)
    b. storage of photos all over the place
    c. too many poor quality photos
    d. printing of photos
    e. cables and/or card readers for transferring photos
    f. deletion of photos once student has left school
    g. photos on noticeboards/displays are now subject to Data Protection Act

Thank Post
    +1 for the Librarian. All of the cameras etc. are logged on the system and booked out in the same way as books. They appear on the printout when overdue and are chased up. The only failing is that they are not locked away and staff have been known to help themselves.

Thank Post
    Given up trying, they simply do not care what agreement they sign. They will lose/damage them.

We factor in 5 new camera's a year. Usually costs £60 for Li-on Battery based camera with SD Card and Case. This year got 5 Olympus VG130 bundle for £60 each with leather case and 2GB Card.

HD Camera, decent quality, no properity chargers, simply a USB based charger (like iPhone etc) as if they do not damage the camera they lose the chargers etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Ours are all cataloged with the library system. Ot is then signed out to a member of staff on the system and any damage charged to departments.

22. Thanks to glennda from:

plexer (28th February 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast