+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Manager / Technician Communication Solution in Technical; Basically, this topic is about help desk systems. However, before you say "why didn't you just search the forums" I ...

Thank Post

Manager / Technician Communication Solution

Basically, this topic is about help desk systems. However, before you say "why didn't you just search the forums" I have and I think my problem is different enough to warrent its own topic (plus it makes me feel more important than I actually am).

We are not a large school so there are only three active members in the ICT dept. The Network Manager (me), the Co-ordinator, and the Technician. The technician works in the morning, and I work in the afternoon (the co-ordinator is a teacher and I think she lives here...although I haven't found a bed or anything).

The problems we currently face is keeping up with what the other person is doing. In theory, we are all working on seperate tasks: the technician works on the 'here and now' tasks, I work on the future tasks (basically, buying stuff), and the co-ord deals with the edu side. However, ocassionally we need to find out what each other is doing. Therefore, I am looking for some sort of (free) task logging / incident reporting / calendar program that wil allow everyone in the dept. to see what each other is doing.

Budget really isn't on our side for this thing, so while I like the look of ServiceDesk Plus I can't really warrent spending the money on it (and I'm under the impression that the free version only allows for 25 nodes before it gets stressed).

Any ideas?

Thank Post

Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

GLPI has this functionality... I'm currently changing to it from One||Zero because it ties into OCS-NG.

You can do basic project management, have public notes, private notes, task lists, record helpdesk calls.... (it's quite comprehensive but you don't have to use all the features).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is also expandable and has a variety of plugins.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes GLPI here two think this is what you need.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A task list in Sharepoint Services would do this. It's free if you're running Windows and is relatively easy to set up.

Thank Post

Dare I mention the FITS toolkit stuff???? (Preparing the barricade..)

There is some discussion on this topic and a bit about helpdesk software here:

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...er=asc&start=0

I'm part-time too, and we are starting to implement Primary FITS (slowly), so I'm looking into this kind of thing too. Liberium was recommended to me by a local techie, but it looks like GLPI is more popular. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you get hold of it?

Thank Post

I have often looked at GLPI but found it a little daunting. I'm not a Linux man, and although I know it can be installed on a Windows machine, strikes me as something that would take quite a while to configure.

Does anybody know of a guide that may put me at rest (and by that I mean help me rather than kill me).

Thank Post

http://www.spiceworks.com/

This might help... look at the Help desk bit... it can be run as a webserver - people can request tasks and then be informed in what is being done! (And each other!)

(XP SP2)

It is quite cool at "auditing kit" too!

J

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo_Jaxon
    http//www.spiceworks.com/

This might help... look at the Help desk bit... it can be run as a webserver - people can request tasks and then be informed in what is being done! (And each other!)

(XP SP2)

It is quite cool at "auditing kit" too!

J
    I did like spiceworks, but I found it took forever to do anything. At the moment, I'm finding the demo of GLPI quite fun to play with. I might investigate that option further.

Thank Post

@spdge: I know that Linux can be a little daunting but it is relativvely easy to setup Ubuntu Server on an oldish machine (just select the LAMP install) and then the instructions are very good (and easy).

You can see the install instructions on the GLPI website at http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?article61

OCS Inventory NG is even easier to install... it comes with a handy script. This can then be integrated with ease if you so desire.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i thought the same about linux till I joined this fourm now i have 3 linux boxes openfiler, a web server (ubuntu) and one other i use for testing new projets and stuff. The thing i like about linux is that you can control it from any machine using putty. There is a good founrm called edugeek if you have problems also i found howtofourge a very useful source as it goes through step by step from basics.

Thank Post

Just be a little bit careful - helpdesks are hugely advantageous - but keeping them up to date is an extra job for you to do - and can be quite a big job.

There are two ways the jobs can get on the helpdesk - the first is you put them on yourself when they are handed to you. This can be a real pain - especially if you are already busy and the temptation to not bother putting some jobs on increases with time.

The second option is to have staff log it themselves through a web interface or something similar - but this two things will definately happen. the first being that some people will love it and suddenly start putting hundreds of jobs on - which is positive, but can increase your work load. The other thing that will happen is that lots of people will hate it / be reluctant to use it and they will ignore it completely and still bring things to you directly so now you either have to be strong willed and insist they log it or be soft and log it yourself (or not bother to log it at all) and your work load has increased.

I am not saying you should not run a helpdesk - far from it, it is the single most impacting thing you have do to improve service to the customer. But along with it comes extra work - and an increased accountablility if it is published - conversations like "I put his on the helpdesk two weeks ago and you have done nothing about it" will become common and you suddenly have to make sure you have an answer as to why it has taken two weeks (which is usually because you have been waiting for more information for 13 days of that two weeks!).

Thank Post

We have servicedesk plus and have found it to be great so far in playtime mode. Basically we have only used it ourselves so far and haven't dished it out to the staff yet, that is something we will be doing during this summer break.

However, for the last 2 years we've been using a shared Outlook task list (the administrator account which all the ICT support staff have access to from their own account) which has worked fine for keeping up-to-speed with what jobs are outstanding and where people are with them.

I also toyed with Liberum which is completely free and open source which seemed to do a great job, but I was always too busy to ever implement it properly. http://www.liberum.org/

Thank Post

I have just setip Liberum and works great, does reports n everthing. Very easy to setup on ASP.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi
    We have servicedesk plus and have found it to be great so far in playtime mode. Basically we have only used it ourselves so far and haven't dished it out to the staff yet, that is something we will be doing during this summer break.

However, for the last 2 years we've been using a shared Outlook task list (the administrator account which all the ICT support staff have access to from their own account) which has worked fine for keeping up-to-speed with what jobs are outstanding and where people are with them.

I also toyed with Liberum which is completely free and open source which seemed to do a great job, but I was always too busy to ever implement it properly. http://www.liberum.org/

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    Just be a little bit careful - helpdesks are hugely advantageous - but keeping them up to date is an extra job for you to do - and can be quite a big job.
    At the moment we have a help desk system in the form of "The Red Book", which is always kept in one part of school - which is not always practical for me to write in. So, a digital helpdesk would be replacing the work that goes into the Red Book - so, in our case, I don't think it will be increasing the workload but streamlining it instead.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast