+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48
How do you do....it? Thread, Manager / Technician Communication Solution in Technical; Okay seeing as I have setup and installed Liberium, One||Zero and GLPI in the past I'll hopefully be able to ...
  1. #16
    wesleyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kingswinford
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Okay seeing as I have setup and installed Liberium, One||Zero and GLPI in the past I'll hopefully be able to ease your fears on the installation. Out of all of them Liberium was the easiest. One||Zero was very easy to but was more difficult to configure for use with either our DCs or authentication from our IMAP server. Liberium was very simple. GLPI was probably the most difficult but thats not a fair reflection of how easy it was to setup up. an analogy would be Liberium is as easy to install and setup as eating an apple, One||Zero as easy as eating a banana and GLPI as easy as eating a pineapple all relatively easy just a few thingas to setup first with GLPI. With any of these you need a working web server now you can use LAMP, WAMP or IIS if you use LAMP you will need a little knowledge of linux but not too much, WAMP is quite easy too especially if you download the XAMP installation package with installs Apache. PHP, MySQL without more than a few clicks. IIS is a real pain sometimes when you want to install PHP and Perl but Apache is a breeze. However if you download OCS NG which I know a lot of the members here have done it includes the XAMP installation which means one 98mb file about 5 clicks and you have an inventory system and a full web server took about 5-6 mnutes for it all to be up and running. GLPI can then be installed straight after and this will make it very easy (I found it more difficult to install than the others because I was installing it on NetBSD via command lines so not the easiest thing if you have very little knowledge like I do ) GLPI is very good and using it off our IMAP ment that the Teachers, Staff and Pupils can log calls from home as well as in school (none have abused it either which is a shock lol) with this very simple installation of a webserver you can install things like MRBS for room/resources booking and web calendar I've implemented all of these and they work very well the schools extranet has grown considerably since I started here and of course our VLE is making major progress now. FITS is easy now lol.



    Wes

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Thanks a lot Wesleyw!

    I have looked at Liberum and One||Zero, and while I like their help desk layout, there aren't enough 'other things' that they do (calendar, bookings, etc.) So I think I will tackle GLPI. I have previously attempted to install OCS NG, but got into a bit of trouble, but I'm ready to try again now (some days are best designated as "Ink cartridge replacement day"!)

    I've come across enough tutorials in English on how to install GLPI now (I wish I could read French) - so I will probably have a go this afternoon.

    I've downloaded XAMP in the past, but could not get it to start all the services. Again, I'm ready to tackle it again now. Or, I'll see if there's an inkjet printer needing a refill.

  3. #18
    wesleyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kingswinford
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Firstly make sure IIS isn't installed! This will stop the apache services running as it runs on the same ports as apache (You can change this but why use Apache AND IIS? other than ASP pages of course). Install the web components with OCS NG don't install XAMP first. Strangely enough these are all mistakes I made lol. Follow the english notes on sending out the OCS NG client software package via GPO (first package I've ever had where it went on flawlessly first time ) Then install GLPI it'll be much easier lol.

    if you struggle with it PM me and I'll let you have the school number and we can go through any problems.

    Plexer if a fount of all knowledge when it comes to OCS so if I can't help he can lol.



    Wes

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    Firstly make sure IIS isn't installed! This will stop the apache services running as it runs on the same ports as apache (You can change this but why use Apache AND IIS? other than ASP pages of course). Install the web components with OCS NG don't install XAMP first. Strangely enough these are all mistakes I made lol. Follow the english notes on sending out the OCS NG client software package via GPO (first package I've ever had where it went on flawlessly first time ) Then install GLPI it'll be much easier lol.

    if you struggle with it PM me and I'll let you have the school number and we can go through any problems.

    Plexer if a fount of all knowledge when it comes to OCS so if I can't help he can lol.



    Wes
    I'm going to install this on a completely blank machine this time, so hopefully that will eliminate some of the problems I had last time.

    In return for your help, I'll offer you my garden for any BBQs you may want to have, my services as a photographer, and my ability to draw sheep.

  5. #20
    wesleyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kingswinford
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Cool! Thanks.

    Just been demoing the system to another school in our neighbouring LEA they seem to like it and are going to install it soon. I have to admit the combination of an Inventory System and Helpdesk has really helped. If you own say Stone, HP, Dell machines they have their serial numbers tagged into the BIOS which OCS will pick up on, some monitors as well. You can then export them to FMS or another equipement register or just leave them as is. You can add other equipment into OCS as well such as projectors, IWB et cetera then the when a helpdesk request comes in you can match it directly to the equipment and at a later date build reports on which machines have gone down, how many times, the actual faults and you can then get patterns of behaviour for the machines and users so if a machine is always dying then replace that machine or if it only has problems mondays after a full moon when its raining then worry about flooding.

    Wes

  6. #21
    Friez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    839
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Over here we employ a high tech solution of writing things that need doing / are in progress on a whiteboard.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,187
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    A clip round the ear normally does the trick

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    Cool! Thanks.

    Just been demoing the system to another school in our neighbouring LEA they seem to like it and are going to install it soon. I have to admit the combination of an Inventory System and Helpdesk has really helped. If you own say Stone, HP, Dell machines they have their serial numbers tagged into the BIOS which OCS will pick up on, some monitors as well. You can then export them to FMS or another equipement register or just leave them as is. You can add other equipment into OCS as well such as projectors, IWB et cetera then the when a helpdesk request comes in you can match it directly to the equipment and at a later date build reports on which machines have gone down, how many times, the actual faults and you can then get patterns of behaviour for the machines and users so if a machine is always dying then replace that machine or if it only has problems mondays after a full moon when its raining then worry about flooding.

    Wes
    So, and I know you'll probably shudder at the this, but I have got GLPI working on a windows machine (XP Pro) running EasyPHP. However, I can not access the system from any computer that isn't the local host.

    I have a feeling that it is something to do with EasyPHP - but wouldn't mind someone with more experience to confirm this.

    I think I'm currently in a situation that would normally be known as a "steep learning curve".

  9. #24
    wesleyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kingswinford
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    firewall? what happens when you try to go to the machine in ie?

    Wes

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    firewall? what happens when you try to go to the machine in ie?

    Wes
    There is no firewall - it's an SP1 machine.

    When I go to the machines IP address on ie on another computer I get a message saying that it can not communicate with the server. However, I can ping the GLPI computer.

  11. #26
    wesleyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kingswinford
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Are you using proxy server details in your lan settings? If so add the GLPI IP address to the bypass addresses even if you have selected bypass internal address you'll still need to add this address.

    Wes

  12. #27

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    218
    Thanked 387 Times in 288 Posts
    Rep Power
    158

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Is it in your proxy exceptions? (been caught with this one FAR too many times)

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    Are you using proxy server details in your lan settings? If so add the GLPI IP address to the bypass addresses even if you have selected bypass internal address you'll still need to add this address.

    Wes
    OK - we're getting a little bit closer now. I had forgotten to add it to the proxy exceptions. But now I get a "cannot find server" error. Is there something I have to do on the GPLI machine?

  14. #29
    wesleyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kingswinford
    Posts
    2,202
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Could you upload a screen shot of it working locally and not working?

    Wes

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK & Reno, USA
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Manager / Technician Communication Solution

    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    Could you upload a screen shot of it working locally and not working?

    Wes
    Attached are two images "working" and "notworking" - guess which one relates to which?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ICT Network Manager/ Senior Technician
    By SpecialAgent in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th November 2007, 10:01 AM
  2. ICT Technician - Network Manager
    By marvin in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th April 2007, 12:22 PM
  3. Content Manager/Technician
    By alan-d in forum Web Development
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 14th November 2006, 10:54 AM
  4. ICT Manager & ICT Technician - Gloucestershire
    By Vegas in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th June 2006, 12:43 PM
  5. ICT TECHNICIAN/MANAGER - Shropshire
    By tosca925 in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th September 2005, 11:10 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •