Poll: How much personal space do your staff get?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How do you do....it? Thread, Teachers storage space - how much is enough?! in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Moving over to a VLE to replicate shares is not a good thing. you are just ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Moving over to a VLE to replicate shares is not a good thing. you are just changing the location of the problem.
    If your shared drives are the same repository as the VLE repository then it isn't changing the location it is consolidating the repositories to the same location. Moodle 2.0 does this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Opendedup

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Nice, but definitely not one to run under Windows as it has the following limitation "Memory Restrained - Only 32 bit version is supported on Windows currently. This will limit the size of the files and the amount of data you will able to store to about 200 GB."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Nice, but definitely not one to run under Windows as it has the following limitation "Memory Restrained - Only 32 bit version is supported on Windows currently. This will limit the size of the files and the amount of data you will able to store to about 200 GB."
    But, they do provide a vm template machine to deploy - which should make setup for the linux nervous a lot easier. I may even have a butchers....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    But, they do provide a vm template machine to deploy - which should make setup for the linux nervous a lot easier. I may even have a butchers....
    Doesn't really help people who already have a windows environment though - that would require a major shift in the way they operate! Dabbling in Linux for a hobby is one thing if you don't have training or experience, but rolling it out to host your mission critical data without any knowledge is A Bad Idea (TM) IMO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't really help people who already have a windows environment though - that would require a major shift in the way they operate! Dabbling in Linux for a hobby is one thing if you don't have training or experience, but rolling it out to host your mission critical data without any knowledge is A Bad Idea (TM) IMO.
    I didn't say it resolved all the issues did I? It just makes it easier to have a look at a working model and see what it can do

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Some pretty large companies run BSD/Solaris. they are stable and you'd be saving money with storage space. You don't need to throw anything away, it would be an upgrade.
    The throwing away comment was re: OEM physical servers for Storage Server 2008 R2 but I get your point

Also if you use a proper repository system linked with the VLE it only stores a single copy of the resource across many courses using it. If it's then stored in that repository as primary storage location for teaching materials then you've also got it off the network and it's indexed... win-win
    Last edited by gshaw; 6th January 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    If your shared drives are the same repository as the VLE repository then it isn't changing the location it is consolidating the repositories to the same location. Moodle 2.0 does this.
    A school has a file share with 1.2 TB in it ... and a vle using 0.1 ... it consolidates them / gets rid of the files share to force the use of the VLE and it becomes 1.3 TB ... this is not the same as document management, stopping the duplication of files and helping people understand things like version control, using wikis instead of lots of word files, etc. The use of File Shares in Moodle 2.0 just masks a problem, it doesn't fix it. It might be a stepping stone to better adoption of the VLE ... but will still be an issue. Other VLEs and LPs have similar issues ... the use of document libraries in SharePoint to replicate what is done with files shares is stupid ... no use of meta-data, no workflow management ... it makes a mockery of how powerful tools within VLEs can be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Currently yes in each mounted filesystem.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    A school has a file share with 1.2 TB in it ... and a vle using 0.1 ... it consolidates them / gets rid of the files share to force the use of the VLE and it becomes 1.3 TB ... this is not the same as document management, stopping the duplication of files and helping people understand things like version control, using wikis instead of lots of word files, etc. The use of File Shares in Moodle 2.0 just masks a problem, it doesn't fix it. It might be a stepping stone to better adoption of the VLE ... but will still be an issue. Other VLEs and LPs have similar issues ... the use of document libraries in SharePoint to replicate what is done with files shares is stupid ... no use of meta-data, no workflow management ... it makes a mockery of how powerful tools within VLEs can be.
    I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying. If the repository for the VLE and the shared drive use the same deduplicated file system then it's not really masking a problem, if the problem is multiple identical files across different systems. For things like office files, google apps is a much more powerful solution for collaboration and VLE integration, but for other files I don't see the issue with this methodology.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 6th January 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I found the key to this was a large number of specific share areas.
    Agreed. I'd aim to give users the same amount of storage as an average, cheap USB stick - 8GB per pupil, probably the same for staff, but then staff should also have access to a bunch of other store areas. Things like photos and videos tend to get taken once and used but not changed by several people, so they're best off on their own server that can deduplicate them at the file level. As I think has been pointed out, if your staff have a tendancy to keep copies of shared resources in their own file areas then a file system that can do block-level deuplication (assuming your staff file areas and general shared areas are shared from the same file system, or that you have a file system that can deduplicate between storage devices) will at least cut down your disk space usage, if not actually organise your files better. All the deduplicating file systems I've tried on Linux, including ZFS at the time (a couple of years ago) had various issues, mostly performance - file systems implemented via FUSE are always going to be slower (I've not tried ZFS on BSD, though, where I understand it works well).

Deduplicating replicated data is a technical problem that can be solved relativly easily to the problem of getting users to accuratly index and label files and other content for easier retrival. The average user is simply not going to add meta-data to each file they upload to a file repository. Google, of course, have much the same problem - they can't expect (or trust) every web page to have accurate meta-data, so their whole business is centred around searching through data and indexing it as best they can.

This works better with a large dataset (i.e. The Web), so I don't know how practical it is to run a similar process on a local storage server, but it might make for a system that works more the way people are used to these days - simply have a search box that you type keywords into and see what results you get.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123