+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Security Marking in Technical; DNA Smart water has been recommended to us by police so we are planning to go with it. UV markers ...

Thank Post

Re: Security Marking

DNA Smart water has been recommended to us by police so we are planning to go with it. UV markers apparently can be cleaned off using commonly available household chemicals and also wear off in time.

Thank Post

Thank Post

We use Alphadot in school. It very easy to apply and all the police stations in the country should have an Alphadot reader.

The website for it is http://www.alphadot.it/

Gives you details and how to buy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts

We use Selectamark at my school. Computer screens either CRT or TFT are definitely worth marking as it's not really possible to re-package a computer screen - but as already mentioned, marking computer units is a little pointless I agree. In saying that I have done it just to please the head, despite the fact it's not unknown that any thief will simply buy a cheap mATX/ATX case, format the hard drive and you're away. Sad, but true unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

We also use smartwater easy to apply shake the bottle and brush it on. Put the stickers all over the place and put big ones up in highly visible places so thieves know you use it.

Ben

Thank Post

I bought the IDMark 4mm stencil system. I'm quite pleased with it.

You're right about the UV marker pen being easily removed. I used the alcohol wipes that came with the IDMark kit to clean plastic laptop cases and it brought the UV pen off no problem!

Thank Post

We use selectamark here and haven't had any thefts (touch wood and all that) of whole machines / monitors. The last thing we had was a pair of nerks pinching RAM sticks but we got them with a portable webcam.

Thank Post

We use stencils and blue goo from ESPO, but it's not that great - can be scraped off with a razor blade and a bit of patience and doesn't work on metal.

I've been looking at the dremel alternative, but am leery of skidding it across shiny new kit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts

We use a branding iron so brand the machines, but are hitting the problem that for insurance, we really need to security mark, and they advise more than just UV pen, for which I agree, but then for swap out warranties EG TFTs the companies are not accepting the returns as they are branded, and one company has said out warranties are null and void, even for using UV pen on them, so we have not branded any of our new kit, or UV'd it.

We also engrave things with an Acme Dremel, 9.99 multitool Practiced on an old AT keyboard, and after 10 goes, was perfect, I labled up the little memory sticks perfect, so that works well

I have used the selectamark in my last place and it was good, but the newer blue gunk seemed to not "stick" as the original older stuff, its almost as if its had one of its chemicals removed or something. If I was changing my system I may try those micro dot setups, or use Selectamark again and hope the gunk has got better again.

Thank Post

Saw this article on the BBC site.

Looks like North Yorks is losing a massive amount of kit each year.

Anyone able to give me a rough idea on cost of protecting 100 PC's with SmartWater?

How do people using it go about stopping themselves getting covered in the stuff when moving / cleaning kit?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

£100 + vat per year.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts

Oh how exciting, I can hardly wait for the message to come through from my schools to me about smart watering the IT kit. It does look good but I think I need to read more on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

One method to stop yourself getting covered in it is to paint the bottom of the unit ... people will still grab hold of it.

We looked at this for our fire alarms ... we have lift up coveres to prevent 'accidental damage' setting off the alarms ... but th life expectancy (2 months we ere told by the supplier we contacted) would mean it would be a pain in the backside to keep fresh.

Thank Post

We're going through a spate of kit theft here at Moorside, our Education Resource (Office/Manager/whatever) is in charge of asset tagging at the moment, but she is useless - has tagged IWB's and projectors so far but no kit - cos "they are on the network" - apparently she has taken something I said the wrong way (ie - "i can get a limited amount of info from the network" translated into "I dont need to tag these at all")

SHe did however - asset tag a Desk! not any desk but one that would take a thief about half an hour to clear, then a furhter half hour to dismantle - and would then need to carry it all out in bits!

Thank Post

I'm glad I check if there was already a thread on security marking. Was about to start one myself. We have used Selecta Mark but the person before me bought loads of the compound, about 30 tubes or something like that. Well, after two years of being here, I had got through maybe 4 or 5 tubes. The rest seemed to have dried up, or the compound seems to have 'melted' through the tubes and evaporated. Or maybe that is because some compund has got onto the tubes from an open one in the bag, but whatever the case, most of the tubes are totally wasted.

I'm interested in branding. Has anyone done it? I noticed John has. Is it neat or does it melt theplastic too much and ends up being messy?

Where would I buy a branding iron?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast