+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
How do you do....it? Thread, Stop students stealing mice in Technical; The only thing I noticed with regards to that was with smartboards, they obviously dont get a mouse ( unless ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts

Re: Stop students stealing mice

The only thing I noticed with regards to that was with smartboards, they obviously dont get a mouse ( unless the computer it is attached to has a mouse ) other then that you can use a virtual keyboard and move the mouse around via the smart board

Getting a smartboard just to not give them a mouse seems a bit extreme however lol.

Maybe touch screens but I bet they would knacker them up lol. Besides I hate it when people touch screens with there dirty finger prints etc etc. blah lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts

lol @ webmans signature :

mysql> SELECT * FROM teachers WHERE clue > 0;
    0 rows returned.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@gecko: A modified version of the popular ThinkGeek.com T-Shirt, altered for the education sector

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    but how do you stop them playing the games in lessons Quackers?
    We just have a Group Policy with some banned EXE's in it. Disable the GPO when they are allowed games, turn the GPO back on when its class time.
    How about Internet games - however many games sites you add to the filter, the little darlings find dozens more!

You could also do a "trust" the kids on it, and if they load them in lessons ban them for a day/week from the lunchtime afterschool, so they learn that there is a time and a place.
    Pretty much what we do - running a crash course in "Game Spotting for Teachers" helps here too. Some teachers can't quite understand that there isn't really any difference between playing a game on a computer in a lesson and playing with a PSP or whatever - it really is a class discipline problem, not an IT problem! I have to say, most are OK!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Doesn't the licence on Quake prohibit use by school age kids?

We ran a nightly session without any particular game - the kids just play on whatever they can find online - along with other stuff like making thier own games using game-maker, flash animations etc.. Get about 25 kids regularly.

Lunchtime sessions are manned by a teacher and no games are allowed!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, watch out for those ESRB ratings.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SmartArt
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    Well, its because the other little sods had removed the balls from the mice and somehow, the pupils found time to swap their mouse for a mouse out of a different computer - what were the teachers doing?

Kids do it because that's what some kids do. I don't like it any more than any one else in this group. And you try and get the head to ring the police over a missing mouse. And guess what, even if he does, what do you think the copper is going to say to the prospect of filling in 8 hours work of forms for £2.00.
    £2.00 for a mouse - thats quite steep!

Thank Post

We bought an AXIS 210 camera for one of our IT suites and it seems (*touches....formica, damn*) to have reduced vandalism - we're certainly replacing less mice in there.

You do need a room with a nice high ceiling to get a good view of the room though.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    We bought an AXIS 210 camera for one of our IT suites and it seems (*touches....formica, damn*) to have reduced vandalism - we're certainly replacing less mice in there.

You do need a room with a nice high ceiling to get a good view of the room though.
    Yeah I though that about our rooms. We would probably end up with 2 in each room :?

Thank Post

We currently have fourteen IT suites on site and had the problem of mice being stolen and keyboards being damaged, we approached this in two ways. Firstly as some of the IT suites are 'department' rooms ie maths, english etc, we sell the specific departments their own supply of mice, KB etc and any malicious damage caused to the computers is solely down to the departments to sort out, we dont mind carrying out the repairs BUT we do not pay for the parts!

Secondly we have installed a minimum of two CCTV cameras in each suite, once you catch a couple of the little scrotes in the act and send a bill home to their parents word soon spreads that it's not worth the hassle!
    It has also proven to be able to improve classroom behaviour due to the SMT being able to monitor the cameras from any workstation with the client software on.

CCTV is not expensive when you compare it to the cost of replacing all of the damaged equipment over a twelve month period, I install it, configure and monitor it. I even do the external cameras now! All of the cameras are fixed and cabled directly back to my office using power over cat5e which makes life very simple, one cable, one camera two rj45 plugs.....

For more info on the system I use goto:

http://www.refreshcorporate.com/default.asp?txtaction=

I have used this company for several years for nearly all of my IT needs without a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I agree with the CCTV, but not too keen on Refresh, but CCTV sure helps the problems, until the kids know where the cameras are so they hide in the dead spots

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345