+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Stop students stealing mice in Technical; You need one of these keyboards...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Stop students stealing mice

You need one of these keyboards

Thank Post

I bet they could still break it!

Thank Post

Hmm touch pad and a biro pen need I say more.....

Thank Post

Yes. Touch pad and pen. Nasty combination indeed. Heck- pen and mouse mat toughened for school use didn't work well together, and synaptic pads aren't built much sturdier.

Makes me shiver.

Paul

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    Well, its because the other little sods had removed the balls from the mice and somehow, the pupils found time to swap their mouse for a mouse out of a different computer - what were the teachers doing?
    <rant>What a FW of a question!</rant>

Perhaps teachers should have a webcam installed in the "seat" of their pants so that when they're bent over a kid's desk, with their back to some of the class, you know, teaching, then they could literally keep their "red" eye on the rest of the wee ones.

Shesh!

Kids do it because that's what some kids do. I don't like it any more than any one else in this group. And you try and get the head to ring the police over a missing mouse. And guess what, even if he does, what do you think the copper is going to say to the prospect of filling in 8 hours work of forms for £2.00.

And one for you all to remember: if a machine is diffy a bit of kit like a mouse and you don't replace it, then you punishing all the other kids that cannot use that PC, as well as stopping the non-offenders from actually learning - spare me the comments about learning a real life lesson - and schools exist for only one purpose: to provide kids with an education; that's it!

Thankfully, the teks at my school are wonderful; they're over-stretched, under-paid and I woudln't work for their boss, and thank goodness I don't, even on pain of separation from my pocket snooker set.

Give me a break from the teacher bashing, puh-lease. You work in a shcool, or claim to, so you *should* know what it can be like.

Right, back to being a miserable sod.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You mean you can be more miserable!!! ...and I thought it was US that was supposed to be miserable! Just don't get a job in a school k??

Thank Post

Don't be a smart art ;-)

Paul

Thank Post

When we first got optical mice we had about 5 of the Microsoft ones nicked. After that i decided to tie all the cables togeather and that seemed to stop it. Only had 1 mouse nicked last year.

We have almost 100% stopped all vandalism to PC's too, which was very easy. You just have to change the way the kids see the computers. They just saw them as "boring work computers". They were never used for anything fun. What i did was download the network multiplayer demo versions of games such as BF1942, Quake III etc and install them on the PC's, and open up the ICT suites at dinnertime and afterschool for playing on these games. Suddently all vandalism stopped, why would they want to damage the things that allow them to have fun at school?

Maybe that would work for the mice, if they nick them, no mouse to play the games with, as appose to no mouse no boring excel.

Thank Post

but how do you stop them playing the games in lessons Quackers?

Thank Post

Thats a nice idea Quackers but I think most schools would have a problem with violent games on the school equipment. I think something not based on killing would be good to try though. Multiplayer racing or something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Tux Racer or for multiplayer shenanigans how about BZFlag?

Thank Post

The problem for us wasn't nicked mice - just the balls.

Like Quackers, we abandoned mice with balls a while ago - optical mice are now cheap as chips. In all the computer rooms the mouse, keyboard & VGA cables pass through a hole to the base unit which is in a locked cage under the bench. All the cables, mouse, keyboard, network, VGA, power - the lot, are tie-wrapped together in the cage. It would take at least 5 minutes of grovelling on the floor to free a mouse!

Problem solved!

Quackers also made a good point about getting the kids on your side. Not always easy to do, but restrictions and confrontation generally produce a totally negative attitude.

RoyG

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We replaced all the mice in our school with nice Logitech optical mice. We cabled tied them to the back of the PCs. Now what the kids are doing is trying to dig the optical sensor in the bottom of the mouse out. I've come across several mice with scratched up sensors which render them completely useless.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can't remember if it was on here where I mentioned it before, but some of ours started to peel the P4 stickers off the PC case and sticking them under the mouse. Annoying at most :|

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    but how do you stop them playing the games in lessons Quackers?
    We just have a Group Policy with some banned EXE's in it. Disable the GPO when they are allowed games, turn the GPO back on when its class time.

You could also do a "trust" the kids on it, and if they load them in lessons ban them for a day/week from the lunchtime afterschool, so they learn that there is a time and a place.

I fully agree with RoyG when he says "restrictions and confrontation generally produce a totally negative attitude"

But the head of IT (teacher) does not see it this way, he's the kind that thinks we should always be at war with them he's not a fan of the "Games Club" , but all of SMT are, it keeps the corradoors clear at lunch, kids respect the PC's so i'm happy. Does anybody else have an idiot for the head of IT?

I even managed to get a small amount of cash so we could buy full version Age of empires II for a few machines. To says its popular is an understatment. If only you could buy Volume Licence for these games

As for the optical mice, i bought these for our 100+ old PC's since the kids really liked the optical ones on our newer pc's http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0

£9.71 for 3 microsoft optical mice, not let us down yet. Cute too. Works out at like £3.20 a mouse! You can do a 30 PC suite for less than £100.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast