+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Stop students stealing mice in Technical; geoff - shock sherapy to sort out the drains? never heard of it....

Thank Post

Re: Stop students stealing mice

geoff - shock sherapy to sort out the drains? never heard of it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Electrify the taps

But seriously, i think CCTV of some description is probably the best solution. It just depends if you can justify it costwise.

Thank Post

I cable tie the keyboard and mice to the monitor cable so instead of taking them they just break them...... I just need to get my system up and running to make it easy to tell who was sat there last and go from there.

Thank Post

...head against a brick wall.

Thank Post

At kingswood - the computers have a lockable hole that you use to lock the case sides on to the base and we just basically use locks and put the cables through the lock and they cant take it cos the mouse, keyboard and if you want the monitor cables are put through them and because the lock hole or gap in the lock or w/e you want to call it is so small they cant pull the cable(s) through it especially with the mouse / keyboard PS2 connectors on the other end and if they really wanted it they would have to carry the whole computer around and I think carrying a computer around is a little bit obvious !!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our kids managed to snap off USB connections - the tab inside the PC end. Ball mice were horrendous - kids and staff would try to swap them around, mashing the pins on the PS/2 connectors as they forced them in. We are in a rural area and have a few farmers sons :P [teaching and studying]. I've said before about kids eating through the cables and eating the rubber off the balls.
    They can break the cable ties if they pull hard enough - but if you're that determined... and unsupervised...
    We keep bringing up cctv too. I find checking logged in users is very unhelpful - kids deny everything and it has never got anywhere.
    Funniest thing [in retrospect] ever to happen here... kids put penny chews in all the CD drives after they discovered the drives continuously open and shut after feeding.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    kids put penny chews in all the CD drives after they discovered the drives continuously open and shut after feeding.
    So far I have found several 2p coins in cdroms that have the same effect, a 2p superglued to the top of a computer base unit, have had 30 fujitsu p300 cases smashed to bits, Almost 100 floppy drives destroyed, 30 cdrom drives broken. Monitors are nearly all crts and have survived well. Keyboards and mice probably run into the 100s each year.

Thank Post

Well, I agree with all that has been said. The cost of fixing smashed systems, abused systems, replacing stolen mice and keyboards etc has forced my head of ICT (Curric) to close off access to IT rooms when not attended by staff who are supervising at all times. I don't blame him one bit. I think in the past year we have ordered and replaced again about 300 mice, 100 keyboards, probably in the region of 200 mouse mats, at least 20 systems and endless floppy drives and CD drives...

I'm not sure that there will ever be an end to it all really.

Paul :-(

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

In the worst rooms I hve warned the HoDs that I will bill them unless they make sure that the rooms are in good condition. If they claim it is supply teachers they have to prove that it was fine the lesson beforehand.

It works in most areas, but that is because we claim for the expensive USB optical wheel mice from M$ ...

Thank Post

Give them a stone age computer aka a calculator or better yet an abacus that way they can have admin rights, not have to worry about licensing, get rid of microsh1t I mean M$ and it dont matter if they steal em cos they dont cost much, if they really want computers, I think apple need to design an education version of macs that are vandilstic proof, bullet proof and can be locked down ( in the physical sense ie to the desk ) and all schools around the world would buy them and I am sure as time goes by and students get a go at em they will find out how to improve it and they will still make money and managing macs as I am sure Tony and Paul both know ( possibly others ) is a hell of a lot better.

Just my thought on it, although the first part of my comment @ calculators would have the one draw back of us not having jobs lol.

Anyways realisticly if apple did that, I think that would make life a lot easier.

I can relate with kingswoods comments.

My old school had the same problem 400 mice / 200 keyboards 100 FDDs replaced in a year. I found that if I didnt replace the stolen / damaged mice straight away to prove a point, as mention earlier in the post, then by the end of the week almost all the mice would need replacing. This was because pupils would take the mouse from the computer next to them, and bend all the pins etc, rather then just sitting at that PC :?

My solutions were:

Option 1: 0.99p mice, mouse balls glued in, cable tied at the back. Replace when needed.

Option 2: When I replaced computers, I purchased Dell Optiplex's with lockable cable covers together with optical mice.

Thank Post

Adam Young had a good idea at the start of this thread, if there was a software alert...., or how about electrifing the ps2 (or usb) connector; oh the fun we could have!

Thank Post

Schools, the only place where keyboards and mice are consumables.

This helps:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=43838

I never really found a good solution tbh. Cable tying helps somewhat, but if they want the mouse, it's gone.

Call the police if you catch someone?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You could certainly have an alert triggered in software if you used USB keyboards/mice maybe if you hooked such a system up to something like this?

http://www.solardeathray.com/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast