+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Support multiple wireless clients in Technical; Hi Everyone just wanting to put this out there to see how others work around this, how would you support ...
    Thank Post

Support multiple wireless clients

Hi Everyone

just wanting to put this out there to see how others work around this, how would you support multiple wireless clients connecting to access points. if i had two full classes working away with about 25 pupils in each class and i was only using 1 wireless access point how would this work? that would mean i would have at least 50 clients trying to work through 1 wap how would i work around this ?

If down the line we were to think about wireless throughout the school how could we cope with so many users trying to connect through a limited number of access points.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hi Everyone

just wanting to put this out there to see how others work around this, how would you support multiple wireless clients connecting to access points. if i had two full classes working away with about 25 pupils in each class and i was only using 1 wireless access point how would this work? that would mean i would have at least 50 clients trying to work through 1 wap how would i work around this ?

If down the line we were to think about wireless throughout the school how could we cope with so many users trying to connect through a limited number of access points.
    You need APs with more than one ratio and large amounts of memory. A managed sysem is going to be best. Xirrus could be a place to look if you need to keep the insanely low AP to user count.

50 users on a standard single or dual band AP is going to be shocking for anything apart from basic text browsing and the AP would probably crash anyway.

Thank Post
    yea thank you SYNACK I had thought that i was going to have to look at a managed system. thank you for getting back so quickly is this the route that everyone would go down just running a managed system?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    yea thank you SYNACK I had thought that i was going to have to look at a managed system. thank you for getting back so quickly is this the route that everyone would go down just running a managed system?
    Long term if you have any reasonable number of clients connecting at once and needing decent access then managed is the way to go. The hardware is better and it manages itself. You may be able to get an alright system strung together with cheaper parts but when it has a problem or unexpected load it will cause a giant amount of pain. More smarts in the gear leads to less work, less hassle, less time wasted and a better result.

Same reason I get managed switches, something silly like a loopback happens and the switches figure out what is happening and deal with it in seconds rather than bringing down the network and taking minutes or likely hours to identify, solve and probably not be able to prevent in future. Smarter gear can in amny cases solve its own silly little problems before the spiral out of control.

Thank Post
    Thank you thats great somtimes doing the cheap is not always the best espically if you wanting to see good results and the system to keep running the way it should

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread