+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, 32 Bit/64 Bit Neutral Shortcuts in Technical; Take a look at Workspace Manager Express — RES Software this user management software can make intelligent choices based on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Take a look at Workspace Manager Express — RES Software this user management software can make intelligent choices based on numerous factors.

I asked the uk technical manager today at IP Expo if it would solve the problem you've described and he said yes.

Ben

Thank Post
    Set default 64bit and 32bit profiles in the Netlogon share with accompanying start menus?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Office 2010 has this type of shortcut.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought it would be worth adding that the Office 2010 type of shortcut is a Windows Installer advertised shortcut. These are usually created by MSI installs (though MSIs can create the ordinary type of shortcut). They run checks on the application files before actually launching it, which causes a windows installer progress bar to appear when you first run the software on a user's account. This can be useful, though on some occasions (particularly with mandatory profiles) is a menace.

I have observed that sometimes Windows does some magic to make a shortcut directing to "program files" run a program in "program files (x86)" (but not vice versa). Not sure if this always works.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Shortcuts aren't the only thing you need to worry about. There's the registry too...

Can I Use the Same User Profile on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows? « Sepago

If you're using roaming profiles, you will want to avoid using a single profile for both OSs...
    Despite that it does seem to work with a single profile, at least it does in our deployment with roaming profiles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    One application which does just install shortcuts is VLC player, you have to change them if you install on an X64 machine as it just points then at program files not program files x86

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Despite that it does seem to work with a single profile, at least it does in our deployment with roaming profiles.
    Using a single roaming profile for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 machines is working fairly well for us too. This is fortunate, as I only saw the warning about it being unsupported when I was half-way through implementing it. Microsoft do seem to have done a fair amount work to make it possible for profiles to be compatible with both.

There have been a few hiccups. I think most of them will be resolved when we rebuild our default profile in the Christmas Holidays - the original of the current one only ever logged on to a 32-bit machine. For a start, this means that our mandatory profiles are very slow to log on to 64-bit machines, presumably because they need to do some initialisation for the first login to a 64-bit machine on every log in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Take a look at Workspace Manager Express — RES Software this user management software can make intelligent choices based on numerous factors.
    Have you used that product yourself? I know a school who use it and have had issues.

You could create some of your own system variables and then a GPO or script to set them according that the architecture in use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    would using %program files%\app\runme.exe as the shortcut work?
    That worked for me - it is %ProgramFiles% (i.e. without the space) though, not what is written above.

9. Thanks to enjay from:

DaveP (17th October 2012)

Thank Post
    We're currently applying the StartMenu per-OU on a loopback.

So we have whatever.tld > Workstations > Room 03

If Room 03 is 64bit, it has the 64bit Start Menu GPO linked onto it which looks at group membership of the user and loads the appropriate Start Menu (teacher/student/admin staff).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    We're currently applying the StartMenu per-OU on a loopback.

So we have whatever.tld > Workstations > Room 03

If Room 03 is 64bit, it has the 64bit Start Menu GPO linked onto it which looks at group membership of the user and loads the appropriate Start Menu (teacher/student/admin staff).
    I may be being thick here but how do you get it to look at group membership and apply the correct menu? we are currently trying to find the best way to do the redirected start menus in a mixed environment.

Thank Post
    I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've created shortcuts on my W& x64 machine (so they would point to Program Files (x86)) and put them in the start menu and users on 32 bit W7 can get to them fine. Last week I even had a shortcut change path - I had the apps drive mapped to a different letter on my machine than the shortcut pointed to, but Windows detected that and still loaded the software - was quite impressed by that tbh

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    That worked for me - it is %ProgramFiles% (i.e. without the space) though, not what is written above.
    Thanks. I will give that a go [when I get the time]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carnforthhigh View Post
    I may be being thick here but how do you get it to look at group membership and apply the correct menu? we are currently trying to find the best way to do the redirected start menus in a mixed environment.
    Assumptions:

1) For each group of users, there's a security group that isn't shared by other users (we use pupils, teachers and dept-admin)
    2) Your workstations are logically split into per-room OU
    3) You've taken whole rooms to 64bitness in one go (if not, create a 64bit sub-ou and apply the GPO there).

Create a new GPO

Computer Config > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy:

User Group Policy loopback processing mode: Enabled. Mode: Merge

User Config > Windows Settings > Folder Redirection > Start Menu

Setting > Advanced - Specify locations for various user groups

pupils \\path\to\start\menu\64pupils
    teachers \\path\to\start\menu\64teachers
    etc...

Options: Grant Exclusive rights = Disabled, Move contents of Start Menu to new location = Disabled

Link the new GPO to a Room OU with 64bit machines and set it to enforced (so it'll triumph over any other start menu settings). Now test it.

(Our Start Menus are also administratively assigned offline files, but that's unnecessary for this to work).

Thank Post
    How about creating two path varibles to the program files & program files (x86) app folders and leaving out the path in the shortcut?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12