+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, RM EasyMail to Live@Edu in Technical; Hi there, I want to move from our awful RM EasyMail setup over to Live@Edu. Has anyone made this transition ...
    Thank Post

RM EasyMail to Live@Edu

Hi there,

I want to move from our awful RM EasyMail setup over to Live@Edu.

Has anyone made this transition and if so what steps did you take?

Also, currently our mail goes to jbloggs@school.sch.uk and we want this to remain the case. Can we migrate mail accounts over to Live@Edu gradually or will this have to be done in one swoop?

Thanks in advance for this.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our LEA did the move for us [25p per user after the first 5]

Is this an option for you?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

We're independent but I'll contact them to see if they'll do a deal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,499 Posts
    If you want to do it gradually you need either a new domain or a subdomain of your existing one.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If you want to do it gradually you need either a new domain or a subdomain of your existing one.

Ben
    Thanks Plexer, that's what I thought.

Looks like I'll be scheduling some email downtime during the Oct 1/2 term.

Thank Post
    I'm from DaveP's LEA and as a traded section we're happy to do paid work for independents too, so it's worth asking Suffolk(?). We did hundreds of migrations, I got to do the initial viability testing, troubleshooting throughout, special cases, script and code for automation etc., and probably now count as a world-expert. Could write several pages, but key points:

* It's not perfect or trivial, but a migration from Easymail does work.

* The Live@Edu migration feature will only migrate EasyMail mail items/folders. EasyMail contacts can be manually exported to a CSV file and after conversion to the Outlook2003+ contact export format, they can then be manually imported into Live@Edu by users. I don't believe Easymail calendars can be exported, but very few of the schools we worked with had them.

* If any users have been using POP3 to download mail from EasyMail then you have a potential problem. If they used Outlook that mail will be in a PST file on some local machine and you can connect Outlook 2007+ to Live@Edu and import that PST file into their Live@Edu mailbox. In these cases I don't recommend carrying on with POP3 (reconfigured to point to Live@Edu), because having all your mail in the cloud, reachable from anywhere, is a significant part of the raison d'etre. If users have downloaded mail via POP3 with some random mail client then all bets are off.

* All your users will have to start using Live@Edu at the same time, shortly after a necessary DNS MX record change. With suitable preparation you can achieve that "cutover" in an hour or two, but give yourself some leeway and plan for a day when users should not expect to be able to access their mail (therafter they access it from Live@Edu).

* Before committing to this, do carefully review the Message and Recipient Limits, especially the Recipient Rate Limit which will likely be an issue for anyone who has previously been mailing school news etc. out to a large (500+) number of parent mail addresses.
    Last edited by Alan; 1st September 2011 at 12:33 PM.

dlm

Thank Post
    I am currently working to setup a live@edu email solution for our school.
    The plan is to continue to have our county.sch.uk email to arrive at school.
    Our county have told us they are not able to send the 2 main accounts to any other domain.
    We have registered this same domain name with LIve@Edu, this is done by placing a dns record to confirm ownership.
    The option then is to allow this web space at live@edu to to pick up email from a proxy address.
    We have created a sub domain - webmail.county.sch.uk
    The email arrives at school, I then put a forward on this email (rm easymail) to webmail.c.s.u.
    the user then can log onto Live@E, send emails from county.s.u and use all of their tools.
    This allows me to put the forward on when it is convienient and work with each member of staff to explain and show, as and when I can.
    When all staff are using the online solution or setup to recieve from the online option we can change our main MX record to forward straight to Live@E.
    I don't think microsoft liked our county name as it took many weeks to have domains accepted, working with county to add dns records has also proved to be taking a while. ashamed to say I started this project in April and yet to finish.

Thank Post
    Anyone know a way to import a standard "none exchange" POP account over to live@edu. We are getting ready to implement this and would like to know if this is possible.. I've researched this and haven't found a solid answer.. :/

Thank Post
    You can do it from within an account itself connected accounts, not sure if you can do it from the migration tool itself.

Ben

Thank Post
    I created myself a live edu account however I don't see any options within the outlook to import a pst. The only option I have is to import my email contacts which I did with no problem.. Where can i find the migration tool?

Thank Post
    Login to the admin interface then go to the 'my organisation' options and there you will find the migration tool. Whilst in this section, click on help and then type migrate in the search box. You should then have all the info you need.

Thank Post
    Thanks I was playing around with the migration system, however it looks like that will only work within an Exchange environment we currently use pop/smtp.. any other ideas?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    Login to the admin interface then go to the 'my organisation' options and there you will find the migration tool. Whilst in this section, click on help and then type migrate in the search box. You should then have all the info you need.

Thank Post
    If you want to import a PST:

a) Connect full Outlook client to the target Live@Edu mailbox and use it's import PST functionality - that works fine.,
    b) Buy some tool from somewhere (they exist)

Thank Post
    What I really need is a tool to migrate google docs to live@edu skydrive there is one from Gladinet but that has to be installed on a per user basis on their machines.

I want something in the cloud to connect the 2 services and sync/move files.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread