+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Backup to Disk System in Technical; Originally Posted by zag Using backupexec 2010 with Qnap 419p+ 6tb NAS box in a separate physical location to the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Using backupexec 2010 with Qnap 419p+ 6tb NAS box in a separate physical location to the main server room.

Works really well and blazingly fast.

Can't believe people are still using tape lol.
    How fast? And how much does it cost per gigabyte? (More than two pence I would imagine. )

NN

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The QNAP NAS was £850 I think. So not too bad cost (14 Pence per GB if my maths is correct)

What you have to remember is disk backups work a very long time, are reliable and can be instantly restored. That's what makes them better than tape.

The speed of the disks is not a bottleneck at all as far as I'm aware, its the network connection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    The QNAP NAS was £850 I think. So not too bad cost (14 Pence per GB if my maths is correct)

What you have to remember is disk backups work a very long time, are reliable and can be instantly restored. That's what makes them better than tape.

The speed of the disks is not a bottleneck at all as far as I'm aware, its the network connection.
    I can see that disk backup to a QNAP NAS would work well if you have a fast connection to a remote site, but where that is not available I would still rather use tape so that cartridges can be kept off-site.

I don't think RDX is practical except for very small networks with small amounts of data to back up.

NN

Thank Post
    We backup using Veeam to a QNAP 419 at the other end of site. Has meant for the first time in years our backups work without failure every night, week and month. Restoring a single file takes no time at all, and being able to boot a server from a backup is stupidly clever!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone got a DR solution with another school? So you put kit in their server room and use Veeam across the WAN? As I have see a article that says that Veeam no longer need a WAN accelerator to work.
    Last edited by nicholab; 20th March 2012 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Were using logmein backup to another drive located in a partner school ... We recipricate and have their drive in our building ....

Thank Post
    How much data do you guys have? We currently have around 2.5 TB and use the Barracuda managed backup service using point to point replication, data deduplication and compression to an offsite location.

The service offers us 24/7 support, bare metal and message level restoration. Backup takes around 1 hour per day but clearly data is growing on a second by second basis.

How would you restore all your data in the event of a disaster, how long would it take and have you tested it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    With what I Have read for the documentation I have for all my clients in my new role - have data onsite which is replicated offsite for full DR. In which case you have to compare the time it takes to download said data (with 2.5TB being a lot imho depending on net connection) against paying somebody who collects backup tapes each morning and stores them in a secure facility to dig through the archives find your tapes and get them delivered to you.

Wolfman Alpha website is a good one for working out download times (roughly).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12