+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Email Disclaimers in Technical; I'm just setting up our Office 365 email disclaimer which has been relativley painless. Does anyone have some good example ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Email Disclaimers

I'm just setting up our Office 365 email disclaimer which has been relativley painless.

Does anyone have some good example text to write on school emails?

I was thinking something like this

Code:
    **** School is not responsible for any personal opinion expressed in this e-mail.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ours is currently

Whilst the sender, as an employee of *council*, makes every effort to ensure accuracy of content, the Council cannot accept any liability for claim, loss or damage howsoever arising from the reliance on or use of this information. All e-mails and replies may be subject to monitoring in line with the Regulatory and Investigatory Powers Act. If you have received this e-mail in error and are not the intended recipient you should not act further other than to delete the e-mail and inform the sender
    Although, we're sorting out getting it changed as we're an academy now.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, thats really usefull although I think I'll cut ours down to make it a bit shorter.

For anyone who wants to do this on Live@edu/Office 365 you can follow these guidelines.

=================

You may configure email disclaimers through the Exchange Control Panel in the Microsoft Online Portal. You will need to create a transport rule for your disclaimer, which may be done as follows:

1. Within the Exchange Control Panel, Select the “Mail Control” option on the right hand side of the screen.

2. You should be in the “Rules” sub-section.

3. Click the “New…” button.

4. Select the conditions under which you want the disclaimer applied in the “If…” drop-down. In my Case I wanted to apply to all mail messages which is at the bottom.

5. Select “Append a disclaimer to the message…” in the “Do the following…” drop-down.

6. Click the “Enter text…” link and enter your disclaimer text in the resulting dialogue, then click “OK.”

7. Add Any other actions or exceptions.

8. Enter a name for your new rule.

9. Click “Save.”

Thank Post
    or you could use something like CodeTwo email disclaimer which is more flexible and is free! (If you are happy with them having a smaill link to the website in the disclaimer)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Ours currently

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this email. Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of <schoolname>. This e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and <schoolname> accepts no liability in connection therewith.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    or you could use something like CodeTwo email disclaimer which is more flexible and is free! (If you are happy with them having a smaill link to the website in the disclaimer)
    Does that work with Office 365/Live@Edu?

Thank Post
    lol - sorry I was distracted whilst reading the initial post and just thought it was an Exchange disclaimer query.

(I'm going home!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For any external e-mail...

This message is personal. The opinions expressed are in no way an official view of [SCHOOL] ([acronym]) neither should they be considered as an indication of [acronym] policy unless explicitly stated otherwise.
    Only gets attached to outgoing emails in Exchange 2007.

Thank Post
    Email signatures are a waste of time. Legally they mean sod all.

So i'm told.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    An opinion I share. Some food for thought on this: Legal disclaimers: Spare us the e-mail yada-yada | The Economist

Lawyers and experts on internet policy say no court case has ever turned on the presence or absence of such an automatic e-mail footer in America, the most litigious of rich countries.

Many disclaimers are, in effect, seeking to impose a contractual obligation unilaterally, and thus are probably unenforceable. This is clear in Europe, where a directive from the European Commission tells the courts to strike out any unreasonable contractual obligation on a consumer if he has not freely negotiated it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Email signatures are a waste of time. Legally they mean sod all.

So i'm told.
    Not entirely true. They can be binding, but it hasn't been tested in court yet I don't think. This site has some insight into this Email disclaimers and the law | Weblaw.co.uk

Thank Post
    Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments are private and confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please do not publish or copy it to anyone else. Please contact us by using the reply facility in your email software or by phoning [our number] and then remove it from your system.

Disclaimer: Although this email and attachments have been scanned for viruses and malware, [us] accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this communication.

Monitoring of Email: [us] may monitor the content of email for lawful business purposes.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes totally agree about the legal side of it but its more about having a common brand in the school and reminding staff its their work email

EDIT: Ohh I like the bit about monitoring emails, might make people think twice before sending stupid messages

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    An opinion I share.
    I was thinking of exactly the same article when I saw this thread. Disclaimers are a waste of time IMO (not to mention disk space). No one bothers to read them!

If schools insist on adding disclaimers to each e-mail, should they not add them to the footer of each letter that gets posted too?

Thank Post
    Copyright does not need to be stated, but it is probably the only legal basis you have to prevent dissemination of an email. Course by the time you act, it will be too late. You can try and persuade the reporter that the social services report detailing a family history of violence and sexual abuse sent by mistake by some tired member of staff to a member of the public and then passed on to the local rag, should not be disseminated further (and it probably won't be), but that's not going to save anyone's arse.

"these are the opinions of the author and may not be the opinions of the school" : well, ok, but how exactly is someone meant to work out if they are or aren't the opinions of the school. And what about when the Head sends an email where she doesn't want any doubt that these are very much the opinions of the school.

"if you have received this email in error". Wouldn't it be good form to actually apologise! "If you have received this Email by mistake, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. We would be grateful if you would advise us of this mistake by return and delete the email from your system". I mean it's not their mistake, yet they are suddenly faced by a disclaimer making legal demands which while usually risible, also usually carry an implicit threat of legal action should they fail to comply. That's just rude.

16. Thanks to pcstru from:

Martin (18th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast