+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Guys, i need your collective brains.... in Technical; Originally Posted by Little-Miss All my servers surivived....ran into burning building when i was allowed to so i could rescue ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    All my servers surivived....ran into burning building when i was allowed to so i could rescue them (not quite as dramatic as that sounds! lol).

If we had something like that it would be perfect.

We only currently have BT broadband down at Hogwarts. LA wants to charge us stupid amounts of money to provide any sort of internet. So we currently have no filtering...
    Could you run the free Smoothwall version perhaps?

2. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Little-Miss (13th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LA wants to charge us stupid amounts of money to provide any sort of internet. So we currently have no filtering...

Find something free that'll do it. You may find it works better than LEA supplied filtering. Which could save you a bit of money, which can then be spent of upgrading ICT equipment instead of just replaceing what was lost.

X EDIT: Holy crap... ninja'd.

4. Thanks to X-13 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or OpenDNS to at least get basic filtering

6. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a FREE smoothwall?

Thank Post
    There's a FREE smoothwall?
    Yep. Smoothwall Express
    Express Open Source Firewall Project

Thank Post
    1. Sign up for Google Apps for Education (free) - create users as needed and get any users who need files at both sites to upload them to google docs Google Apps for Education - Free Hosted Email (Gmail) for EDU
    2. ADSL connection at Hogwarts with Firewall/Filter as required
    3. Quick and dirty wireless network at Hogwarts with whatever devices are cheap and cheerful to connect
    4. Completely separate domain and DC/DNS/DHCP/Print Server if you need it at Hogwarts for group policy etc.

10. Thanks to Netman from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh and btw, Network Services Birmingham if you're watching....YOU SUCK!
    I'll see your "Network Services Birmingham", and raise you "our LEA ICT support survice".

[Not saying who for fear of reprisals]

Job logged nearly 3 years ago with them... Still not fixed.

Whenever something does get fixed, after god knows how long of waiting, I'm never told what they did... Sometimes they don't seem to know either... When it goes again, they act surprised that I didn't fix it.

Websites blocked for no reason, very dodgy sites left open with no way of getting them blocked.

Hell, they even killed our network by changing our I.P to one that doesn't exist. [It was a mis-type... but the wrong numbers are no-where near each other on a keyboard... I sense sabotage.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Link2ICT have always been good to me...until i needed to get intouch with Network Services...

Thank Post
    Link2ICT have always been good to me...until i needed to get intouch with Network Services...
    I'm sure that when they've settled down in their new home in India you'll be the first priority

Thank Post
    Ooh, that sounds clever! Life sure knows how to try and make you learn new stuff quicker!
    Indeed .. Distributed File System - works great on 2008 R2 server, works on 2003 R2 server (I know them both having done it on both) I think it was available on earlier servers but under a different name .. but it's brilliant for keeping server directories sync'd up .. means you can use domain style directory structure (if you don't already .. eg \\domain.name\share\folder) and you can use the same set of GPO for both then as they would be a member of the same domain .. also means that by having them as a WAN style setup that user passwords / new users would transfer as you never know how long you're going to be there, so if you get the little darlings moving up to the other site it means all their stuff will go with them ..

Obviously, the speed may be an issue, so it might be that you set it to auto sync every so many hours or overnight, so it's not instant, but the support over the connection would obviously be instant .. but it means you would need proper access (either over P2P or using external access IPs and all that jazz) .. obviously, P2P would be best option in terms of getting the same filtering for the network too .. but as others have mentioned, there are always free get you by offerings ..

Good luck with it all though .. I certainly don't envy the task ahead for you ..

Edit: PS. with you being in Brum, I can recommend the services of Unique Business Solutions (http://www.ubsol.co.uk/) for getting help with the P2P and getting stuff up and running .. they're really good guys ..
    Last edited by soveryapt; 13th June 2011 at 11:50 AM.

15. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like there is a clear deliniation between the two sites and who will be using them so there will only be a subset of rosources that really need to be shared over a site-to-site link.

My recomendiation is this, get another server for the second site with a full rate DSL connection and a fixed IP. Put ISA server or another such solution on it and have a version of ISA at the primary site. It is really easy to setup a site to site VPN over this which all of your internet traffic and shared traffic could be piped over. This would allow you to pass everything through your existing filtering at the main school.

Have the second site server setup as a file server and a DC so that it replicates all AD stuff and seporate out the junior documents/profiles/stuff and host them on the new server so that the majority stays local. Having the link back to the main site always present means that any shared stuff that may be accessed from either site could just stay on the original server or be replicated using robocopy or DFS if you're brave.

This should lead to it being reasonably quick still for most scenarios.

As to network stuff I would just stick to the fundimentals and try to get good gear, layer 2 managed gigabit switch if your getting one and solid wireless. Bear in mind that if you already have one wireless system then go for a different type they may conflict and fight each other if ever brought together on the same site so going different could be the start of a replacement rather than the supliment to wireless.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12