+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Restricted user needs access to folder on C: in Technical; As per the title, I have been given some top quality software which came with some Panasonic HM-TA1 camera's which ...
    Thank Post

Restricted user needs access to folder on C:

As per the title, I have been given some top quality software which came with some Panasonic HM-TA1 camera's which are being used in much the same way as flips before Cisco killed them off.

The software requires you to set what appear to be watch folders for its content and to copy videos to, however you cannot simply use the users My Docs as this is not a local drive and the program throws a wobbly refusing to let you use it.

My thinking was to create a local folder on each machine (all named the same obviously) and to use that as the watch folder, then getting the school to copy their finished content to their network home folders/shares as needed.

But with users being restricted so they cant see anything in My Computer other than mapped drives how would I go about it?

I have looked in the program files and registry and cannot find where this program points to the folder location otherwise I would look into a reg hack at logon to ensure it is set but no luck so far.

Any and all constructive comments and thoughts welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Couldnt you do write access but not 'list contents' and then script a way to upload ot network (Just of top of my head)

3. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

mhundley (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Could you use the All Users (or Public, you didn't mention what os) Documents folder? Everyone has read and write access to it but it may have a problem with a lot of junk appearing and not being deleted

5. Thanks to cromertech from:

mhundley (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    How are you restricting the C:\ currently? If it's just a hidden drive, couldn't you create a shortcut to said folder so they can access it?

Steve

7. Thanks to Steve21 from:

mhundley (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    I dont think I explained it very well in my first post, to set the folder as a user you have to be able to browse to the folder as it uses an explorer window in a popup, unless I can find a way of scripting/reg hacking the path into the program I think it will be very difficult to achieve what I need. I am not keen on allowing pupils to be able to browse through the hard drives as no matter how carefully i set it up you can guarantee I will miss something :-)

I am currently looking through the distributed installation files in case there is anything useful in there. Unfortunately it is an installshield installer so may take a bit of bodging to get it going.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhundley View Post
    I dont think I explained it very well in my first post, to set the folder as a user you have to be able to browse to the folder as it uses an explorer window in a popup, unless I can find a way of scripting/reg hacking the path into the program I think it will be very difficult to achieve what I need. I am not keen on allowing pupils to be able to browse through the hard drives as no matter how carefully i set it up you can guarantee I will miss something :-)

I am currently looking through the distributed installation files in case there is anything useful in there. Unfortunately it is an installshield installer so may take a bit of bodging to get it going.
    So you're letting them choose where it's stored? Or are you installing it though?

Steve

10. Thanks to Steve21 from:

mhundley (7th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Could you use the All Users (or Public, you didn't mention what os) Documents folder? Everyone has read and write access to it but it may have a problem with a lot of junk appearing and not being deleted
    Now that could work nicely here, I can see this working well if I can force the folder location in the program. Completely forgot about All Users.

@Steve21 C:\ is hidden using GPO, a shortcut may work but the browser in the program doesnt seem to be following the usual rules and listing what we would expect to see.

We are not letting them choose where to store it, the program forces us to do this, if we can preset/force the folder location then we will not need to worry about people trawling their way through the file system as it will be set for them and the setting is in the tools>settings menu option so most people will never need to stray into there. We will be installing the software onto the machines which may be acapable of running it. Sadly the hardware in this school is struggling due to age and no budget available for replacement (Same old story as most people here)

This is why I love Edugeek, one quick post and a load of answers in no time :-)
    Last edited by mhundley; 7th June 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Thank Post
    i literally did this today.

subst.exe command (im using XP) will assign a drive letter to a local folder/resource.

I had the same requirement (for a different reason) and instead trying to allow C:\anything (GPO blocked this) via shortcut i instead made a Q:\ which points to C:\StudentData\TempSaveLocation. I ofcourse scripted the creation and icacl'd the folder as admin but the subst runs on a local startup script in a certain AV lab of computers.

HTH

13. Thanks to amfony from:

mhundley (7th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread