+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48
How do you do....it? Thread, Replacing Classroom desktops with Teacher laptops in Technical; Originally Posted by DrCheese Not to mention you'll have to deal with staff putting personal files/photos on the laptops and ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    Not to mention you'll have to deal with staff putting personal files/photos on the laptops and the agro that would result if had to do the above. If they lost personal data on their home computer then that's their problem. If they lost personal data on a school provided laptop they'll hassle you. You may also see files that you wish you hadn't seen (Bank statements/Letters/Job apps/photos blah blah) that you can't unsee, stuff that people wouldn't put on a school desktop.
    I dont understand this bit, why are they using them for personal things? I remember at the council someone had their only picture of their new Grandson as their desktop image (though didnt know this at the time) and I wiped the computer and they starting balling and shouting at me I simply said 'why was this on a work PC?' might be harsh but this decreases my efficiency messing around with personal stuff and 2. ever how careful you are you will screw up and have to take the blame for it so I say tough.

  2. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  3. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Our status is one or the other. In this environment I would have PC's installed at the desktop and if staff need to work from home install a Citrix or TS portal type solution.

    If I worked in a school I could only have those using a laptop who really would make use of it, i.e. a Head or Deputy or similar role.
    I completely agree with this, even though I m going on about laptops I would rather have desktops apart from certain members of staff all I m saying if stay firm but also consult staff

  4. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  5. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,227
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 230 Times in 219 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    If a user is to have a laptop which may be used at home it needs to be locked down, you should never let anyone other than IT install applications on it. Plus it makes for a simpler life for you.

  6. Thanks to MatthewL from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  7. #19

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,359
    Thank Post
    1,396
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Rep Power
    708
    We're going the other way - all teachers have laptops - set up so that they are synchronised and always look as though they are on the network - they dont have admin access and generally treat them fairly well. They do put personal photos on which then get sent up to my server but everyone knows I delete all pics once a year unless they put them in a specifice shared place.
    They used to have admin access but I stopped it expecting mayhem but most were surprisingly accepting.
    BUT we want to go to electronic registration and the thoughts are: what happens if the teacher is out or forgets his or her laptop? - we don't have spares.
    We have also had issues with laptops connecting to whiteboards and the network - cables are forever getting broken so the thought is to put an immovable desktop there alongside an extra connection to the network - so they can connect their laptop, synchronise their data so that it will be available for use on the desktop.
    Desktops last longer, too

  8. 2 Thanks to witch:

    Chockster (14th June 2011), irsprint84 (3rd June 2011)

  9. #20

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,223
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    780
    Docking stations, locked down laptops with SMT support, hard drive encryption and an addendum in contracts that it is part oftheir job roal to bring in there laptops if you can. Nothing works better than contractual obligation and I have seen it work wonders in some schools.

  10. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

    Chockster (14th June 2011), irsprint84 (5th June 2011)

  11. #21

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,600
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 769 Times in 598 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    The school I work at does not have desktops in the classrooms. When moving to SIMS for registration, the idea of installing them was mentioned but that would have meant buy a shed load of desktops plus increasing the number of network ports. A whole lot of money.

    Instead, the teachers use their laptops. We supply all the teachers with laptops and so we can tell them what to use them for! It works well (when the teachers aren't being too lazy to do the registers or make up random problems of simply destroy them).

    If a teacher is given a laptop for X, Y and Z they should be disciplined for 'forgetting' it IMHO but that will never happen. Staff should not be using the machines as personal machines at home as that should breach your AUP and has potential DPA issues. Plus they become a taxable perk!

    Anyway... as long as you can put up with the odd idiot, laptops FTW... less walking to fix computers (they come to you) and halves the number of machines you need for your staff.

  12. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

    Chockster (14th June 2011), irsprint84 (5th June 2011)

  13. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    What I do if I find laptops in locked rooms I take it and give it to the head and leave a note on where the laptop is to pick it up from the Head

  14. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  15. #23

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,648
    Thank Post
    1,256
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Chockster View Post
    The general consensus a while back here seemed to be negative - has anyone changed their mind?
    Not really. Ideally, if the money is available, simply give each teacher £400 to go and buy what they want for home use - desktop, iPad, Chromebook, laptop, put it towards a top-end Macbook, whatever. Then give them a monthly allowance (£10) to cover broadband and ensure you have a decent remote access system set up - terminal services, VPN, etc - so there's no to-and-fro of files, they just connect to their standard school desktop (or web applications, in a few years time) from home. This strikes me as the simplest and cheapest way of doing things - just give them cash, the laptop is theirs, if they break it it's their problem (although you could probably do a nice sideline in virus removeals at £50 a go...) and anything dodgy they do with it is also nothing to do with the school.

    In your non-ideal world, I'm guessing about the best option is to buy new desktops for the classroom (at £200 each the small, wall-mountable Acer machines are great) and give away the old desktops for home-use machines.

  16. Thanks to dhicks from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  17. #24

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,359
    Thank Post
    1,396
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Rep Power
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Not really. Ideally, if the money is available, simply give each teacher £400 to go and buy what they want for home use - desktop, iPad, Chromebook, laptop, put it towards a top-end Macbook, whatever. Then give them a monthly allowance (£10) to cover broadband and ensure you have a decent remote access system set up - terminal services, VPN, etc - so there's no to-and-fro of files, they just connect to their standard school desktop (or web applications, in a few years time) from home. This strikes me as the simplest and cheapest way of doing things - just give them cash, the laptop is theirs, if they break it it's their problem (although you could probably do a nice sideline in virus removeals at £50 a go...) and anything dodgy they do with it is also nothing to do with the school.

    In your non-ideal world, I'm guessing about the best option is to buy new desktops for the classroom (at £200 each the small, wall-mountable Acer machines are great) and give away the old desktops for home-use machines.
    Why on earth would you need to give staff money like that? And an allowance for broadband? I think that computers are ubiquitous enough now that it can be accepted that the average person will have access to home computing. After all, we don't pay for their phone lines or mobiles or their paper and pens that they use at home?
    New teachers are being taught that you cannot really do the job without good home access to the internet and hopefully remote access to the school system so they know that it is necessary to have such things.
    But if a teacher chooses not to have home broadband? The school is open until 6 every night, and often later, and in the holidays, so they don't actually have to work from home if they don't want to, it is a personal choice - the norm, I know, but it can be done without.
    Schools have no money for extras these days, and IMHO teacher laptops are just that. Most of the teachers at my schools do work on their own machines at home. Some use the laptops provided but not very many.
    I am going to use the old IT suite machines for the classrooms - they are Dells and I know that they will last a good few years, at least long enough to trial the system, anyway!

  18. Thanks to witch from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  19. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Why on earth would you need to give staff money like that? And an allowance for broadband? I think that computers are ubiquitous enough now that it can be accepted that the average person will have access to home computing. After all, we don't pay for their phone lines or mobiles or their paper and pens that they use at home?
    New teachers are being taught that you cannot really do the job without good home access to the internet and hopefully remote access to the school system so they know that it is necessary to have such things.
    But if a teacher chooses not to have home broadband? The school is open until 6 every night, and often later, and in the holidays, so they don't actually have to work from home if they don't want to, it is a personal choice - the norm, I know, but it can be done without.
    Schools have no money for extras these days, and IMHO teacher laptops are just that. Most of the teachers at my schools do work on their own machines at home. Some use the laptops provided but not very many.
    I am going to use the old IT suite machines for the classrooms - they are Dells and I know that they will last a good few years, at least long enough to trial the system, anyway!
    I m disliking this with new teachers, a teacher here acted very childish in front of alot of teachers because they said it was impossible without a laptop at home

  20. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  21. #26

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,359
    Thank Post
    1,396
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Rep Power
    708
    I spoke to the trainees on placement at our school and also my son's girlfriend who is currently training, and they all said that they knew they couldnt do the job without a decent computer.

  22. Thanks to witch from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  23. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I spoke to the trainees on placement at our school and also my son's girlfriend who is currently training, and they all said that they knew they couldnt do the job without a decent computer.
    Tell them to look on ebay!

  24. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  25. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Though as I remember being at uni money is infinite! recession, what recession!

  26. Thanks to irsprint84 from:

    Chockster (14th June 2011)

  27. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thank Post
    42
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Sorry All, I've been away due to a family bereavement. Just wanted to thank you all for your input - it's been really helpful.

    One thing I should have mentioned is that all our teachers already have laptops, so really it's just case of the cultural change moving away from desktop machines. It would initially be a cost saving, but of course that could be made up for by possible increases in costs supporting laptops.

    We're going to have a think about it and a pilot first before we wade in with any change.

    Thanks again for all the replies.

  28. Thanks to Chockster from:

    irsprint84 (14th June 2011)

  29. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    853
    Thank Post
    111
    Thanked 112 Times in 108 Posts
    Rep Power
    45
    Also when you get laptops make sure they have accidental waranty on them, you wont regret it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shared Desktops - Laptops
    By Iain.Faulkner in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th November 2010, 03:06 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 9th October 2010, 10:53 PM
  3. Teacher Laptops v Teacher Desk Computer
    By geeky in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 5th February 2010, 08:21 AM
  4. Replacing our laptops for registration
    By rush_tech in forum Hardware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31st March 2008, 05:58 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •