+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Is Parentpay any good? in Technical; Sat in on some meetings that our finance team had organised at the end of last week; we met with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 963 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sat in on some meetings that our finance team had organised at the end of last week; we met with WisePay, Tucasi and ParentPay.

Tucasi (School's Cash Office) were not to our liking at all - too much involvement and manual tasks requiring me & mine - but WisePay and ParentPay were both very good in their offering.

Having seen this thread beforehand and shown it to the other parties, we were all very cagey going into the ParentPay demonstration, but all credit to the lady who came down, she completely won us over - perhaps it's my natural tendency to trust a proper Northern accent, but everything she showed was very easy to use, looked like it worked very well and gracefully (e.g. the mail merge thing - I love that any failed texts or emails automatically generate a physical letter).

As far as we're concerned, ParetnyPay and WisePay are both fairly equal, but with different strengths in different areas. If you want online payments, ParentPay seemed to offer more functionality; if you wanted a back end system, WisePay's looked brilliant, and ParentPay are still an unknown quantity in this area. Costs were not dissimilar either, so anyone looking into it, I'd certainly recommend talking to WisePay.

A decision still hasn't been made here, anyway, so I wanted to ask - the recent troubles with ParentPay - are they really just recent? If they've been a rough couple of months out of years of otherwise good service, then I can happily believe it's just growing pains, but if the uptime and support issues are a familiar theme to you, it'll obviously have a much bigger bearing on our thinking... let me know, if you can!

Thank Post
    Most of the downtime has just been recently but the lack of any real phone support seems to have been a feature for a while.

3. Thanks to Tallwood_6 from:

sonofsanta (19th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Most of the downtime has just been recently but the lack of any real phone support seems to have been a feature for a while.
    Agreed, we've been on it now heading for 2 years now (I think if not a bit longer) and support via phone has always been an issue, but has very much got worse in recent times. E-mail support was fine historically but again that's got worse in recent times. Seems they don't know there market in my opinion really, like today, another e-mail about MORE updates gone live. Did someone forget to tell them that school finish in a large number of cases we don't finish till THIS week, you have the entire month of August to do the flipping upgrades ready for September instead of messing the morning up with poor service availability again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    I second this. We went with ParentPay last October. At first all went well, a couple of the usual teething problems with any new system. The telephone support at the time was passable, but that seems to have dwindled to non-existent. Not once in the last couple of months have I been able to get through on the phone. Tried last week at around 3pm on a Friday to be politely told that the office was shut!

The email support is ok, but can be quite slow to get a response.

We found that the parents liked the simplicity of the system, and didn't really have any problems gettings 500 parents signed on (only 3 telephone calls from what I remember). The support, and recent downtime/performance issues have made me question whether we actually made the right choice.

It does seem strange their choice of update times. Has been a couple of times where it's either been the middle or start of a day. What happened to overnight/out-of-hours upgrades?

I am hoping that it improves next term, else I think we could be looking for a new provider next year.

One last gripe: MIS:Sync, only really works automatically for students. We use SIMS for everything, and would like our ParentPay site to update it's staff too. Pre-Admissions are a manual upload as well, which is fine for most of the year, but when we are enrolling yr6 students and trying to get them to log on, it's frustrating to have to keep logging on to the server just to do the update.

Thank Post
    It would be nice in MIS sync worked at all to be honest, the manual process for CMIS i'm less than impressed with and is far to complex for someone outside our department to complete without issue.

Thank Post
    It works OK here, however it was far too easy to delete every member of staff on ParentPay with one mouse click for my liking!

Thank Post
    Yea for you lucky SIMS people it actually talks to the SIMs database doesnt it?
    For us we have to extract the information manually for students and staff create a mapping in MIS Sync import into MIS sync sort out any errors then upload. The process is made or the more complex as the mappings dont always show, the required file types to upload the extracted data for both the students and staff seem to be different and individual records error after the upload if the cell with the data in it is to small for the information.

Thank Post
    I'm really suprised it doesn't for all the major MIS's. That's really bad.

A couple of years back we started requiring that all software that used student information had a way of getting it out of SIMS, preferably automatically. Annoyed a few staff when they couldn't buy the exact software they wanted. Thankfully the bursar at the time fully supported us. Now all but 2 pieces of software extract their data from SIMS, saving lots of time.

Aren't ParentPay even developing something? If they aren't then they should be. It's not as if schools don't pay them enough money for their services each year.

Thank Post
    We will have a new integration available in September that will be much better for all non-SIMS schools - essentially fully automated updates. Rather than a general release, it will be available on request in September - just let us know when is a good time for your school and we'll arrange. Following on from the comments made here we won't be changing any processes over the summer.

Thank Post
    That would great, can you give some further information yet as to what it will (and wont) automate?

Thank Post
    Essentially, once it is setup, it will run on a fully automated, scheduled basis, for any MIS data changes that are relevant to ParentPay and part of the current ParentPay upload set. Schedule can be set on a school by school basis (daily/nightly, weekly etc).

A local application talks to ParentPay and to the MIS, much the same as MIS:Sync does today. Main difference is allowing the full automation and scheduling for non-SIMS schools.

First release will work on full uploads (as per the current upload process), whereby all data is uploaded and then only the differences imported. A future release, probably later in the Autumn term, will allow either full or delta uploads. delta uploads do the 'differencing' locally and then only upload and import the changes (this just makes for a slightly lower bandwidth usage).

Uploads can always be over-ridden, should the school want to 'force' an upload at a specific time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Ah at last a product that stops discriminating for those who choose to not be a sheep and follow Capita. Worry's me its taken that long to do when the coding and API, if your paying Serco the right fees that is, isn't that hard to integrate many company's have done so and use the API system so its live and works great, but at least its on it's way which is a starting place just a shame its been so far away. It has been a hard time teaching people to map fields etc and that has been annoying and limited support for non-sims schools was also annoying.

As for no more changes to processes thats good but still you did work the other day and have emailed today saying more is coming at the start of September which is wrong, you want to do those changes either in August or October Half term, not the start of September as that is just crazy. ParentPay really needs to learn about its market, 6 week summers = upgrades, 2 week Easter and Christmas = upgrade time, term times = never touch unless its blown up and smoke pouring out of it which is the way we all try to operate on here.

14. 2 Thanks to john:

elsiegee40 (21st July 2011), mikegrant (24th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Looks like their site is down, or at least under severe load. All that work they did over the summer reassuring us....

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current
    custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons).
    It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
    viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
    a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
    current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
    "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a
    custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the
    application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom
    error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Thank Post
    Well there’s a surprise. …

Thank Post
    So very glad we've got for sQuid over ParentPay!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast