+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, file server in the cloud...? in Technical; One year ago, we started moving our services to the cloud. The first one was the support ticket system. We ...

Thank Post

file server in the cloud...?

One year ago, we started moving our services to the cloud. The first one was the support ticket system. We chose zendesk and for a very reasonable price it's working very well. After, it was the email, after years using mdaemon, google offered us a free version of google apps which saved us tones of time and money...

Now we are thinking on moving the file server to the cloud, or at least to have some kind of hybrid system so staff and students can access the files in the file server from anywhere and at the same time we don't have to worry about backups. I have checked various solutions which looks interesting like box and egnyte but they are really expensive even with the educational discount. We only need about 1 or 2 TB which is the size of our current file server...

So please if you have done something similar I would be really grateful if you could share your experience with me.

Best regards,

Thank Post
    Is it a secure transfer? video/ music file transfer? is your line 100% up?

Thank Post
    Personally I would keep file server in house, just my opinion. I think you would run into issues putting it in the cloud.

Thank Post
    but in the case that we keep it @home, we would need to publish somehow the files to make them available for students and teachers.... something simpler than vpn

Thank Post
    I would keep something like a file server in house.

The amount of data this contains, if your Internet connection goes down no-one can access their files.

Whereas with internally hosted file storage if internet is down people can still access their files. (providing the network is up)

nick

Thank Post
    If you kept your existing file server you can grant access to your existing data via an SSL VPN using an appliance like this Barracuda SSL VPN - Secure Remote Access From Any Web Browser which allows (amongst other things) file access via webDAV so users can access their data remotely using their network username and password to authenticate with.

The barracuda product is based on the old opensource SSL explorer from 3SP which I used to use at a school years ago to do exactly the same thing - it worked brilliantly.

I know it uses the word 'VPN' in the name, but it's different to a traditional IPsec VPN in that the whole thing is based on the SSL protocol so it will work in any browser and doesn't need dedicated software or complex authentication.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 27th May 2011 at 03:02 PM.

7. Thanks to maniac from:

joseph (27th May 2011)

Thank Post

9. Thanks to teejay from:

joseph (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your replies I'll check HAP+ and Barracuda SSL VPN

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post
    Now we are thinking on moving the file server to the cloud, or at least to have some kind of hybrid system so staff and students can access the files in the file server from anywhere and at the same time we don't have to worry about backups.
    It sounds more like you want offsite backup of some kind and local access to your file server. WebDAV might be a good option for file access - the client capability is built in to Windows XP onwards, and the server capability is built in to Apache (and probably IIS). There are many offsite backup services available (Backblaze seems to be good, although I haven't used them myself), although it strikes me that schools are in the perfect position to simply team up with another school in the same LEA and each agree to backup each other's data.

If there are issues opening up a connection through your firewall to your file server, you could replicate your files to a hosting service via rsync.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    google apps is essentially a fileserver in the cloud.There are third party tools to display it as a mapped network drive
    GLADINET - Cloud Storage Access Platform & Solutions

it supports
    Amazon S3
    Synaptic Storage as a ServiceSM
    Box.net
    Caringo CAStor
    EMC Atmos Online
    FTP
    File Server Share
    Google Docs
    Google Storage
    Internap XIPCloud Storage
    Mezeo
    Nirvanix
    OpenStack
    Peer1 CloudOne
    Rackspace CloudFiles
    Windows Live SkyDrive
    Windows Azure
    WebDav
    SDK Custom Plugin

13. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

dave.81 (2nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    One year ago, we started moving our services to the cloud. The first one was the support ticket system. We chose zendesk and for a very reasonable price it's working very well. After, it was the email, after years using mdaemon, google offered us a free version of google apps which saved us tones of time and money...

Now we are thinking on moving the file server to the cloud, or at least to have some kind of hybrid system so staff and students can access the files in the file server from anywhere and at the same time we don't have to worry about backups. I have checked various solutions which looks interesting like box and egnyte but they are really expensive even with the educational discount. We only need about 1 or 2 TB which is the size of our current file server...

So please if you have done something similar I would be really grateful if you could share your experience with me.

Best regards,
    Live@EDU??? that works....

Thank Post

Best regards,
    live@edu is one answer at a good price for schools....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

Best regards,
    Accessing a support desk and e-mail, is just like any other website. Accessing files over the internet is a lot more demanding on resources (especially your internet connection). Depending on the number of users, you could argue the price of a 100Mbps or even 1000Mbps internet connection, it's still going to be considerably cheaper to host your server on site.

There's also the issue of security. Encrypting data uses up even more bandwidth and no matter how good any company claims their cloud is, you still need a backup system. To my knowledge no cloud company guarantees data protection, redundancy or uptime. These are certainly considerations to bear in mind as when things go wrong, you'll be expected to fix it. There's also the issue of who owns the data on a cloud hosted service and this is why the Cloud Computing Act is something worth reading!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread